FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
I have come close to telling them to shove their job on numerous occasions and did nearly hit someone with a roll of plastic wrap that I lobed down the warehouse in anger (the sensible thing would be to have chucked it in the bin and get a new roll) last week.

Maybe they'll give you a certificate for lobbing plastic wrap rolls. :twisted: Listen, there's never an excuse for doing stuff like that at work, period.
By andrew
I have come close to telling them to shove their job on numerous occasions and did nearly hit someone with a roll of plastic wrap that I lobed down the warehouse in anger (the sensible thing would be to have chucked it in the bin and get a new roll) last week.

Maybe they'll give you a certificate for lobbing plastic wrap rolls. :twisted: Listen, there's never an excuse for doing stuff like that at work, period.

Of course there's not but this place would make the Pope flip his wig!
By LRW
My potential employer needs to see a copy of my forklift certificate so they can put my through training for larger machines (8 ton). My current employer now claims that they don't even give out photocopies which contradicts what I was told earlier. I know they won't give out the original within 12 months of it being awarded but a photocopy shouldn't be an issue. If nothing else, I should have a copy so I can keep myself covered. No surprise that they are making things up as they go along (yet again). The worst thing is that this new job would see a decent pay rise and the end to my money worries for the time being with some decent chances of moving up into some interesting areas.

Was it an external company that awarded the certificate? Could you get a copy from them? Surely legally your company can't refuse to issue you a copy for your records? Have you spoken to a HR representative, or to anyone externaly about your rights?

Of course there's not but this place would make the Pope flip his wig!

If your current boss decides to tell your perspective boss about that incident, they wouldn't touch you. It's just not worth doing stuff like that. That's what bars and forums are for.
By synsei
If it was an internal test there is probably little you can do about it. Most firms will not accept another's FLC and that pre-supposes you can actually prize a copy away from the place that put you through the training originally, in which case the best you can hope for is that your potential new employer will foot the bill to re-train you :rolleyes:
By andrew
My potential employer needs to see a copy of my forklift certificate so they can put my through training for larger machines (8 ton). My current employer now claims that they don't even give out photocopies which contradicts what I was told earlier. I know they won't give out the original within 12 months of it being awarded but a photocopy shouldn't be an issue. If nothing else, I should have a copy so I can keep myself covered. No surprise that they are making things up as they go along (yet again). The worst thing is that this new job would see a decent pay rise and the end to my money worries for the time being with some decent chances of moving up into some interesting areas.

Was it an external company that awarded the certificate? Could you get a copy from them? Surely legally your company can't refuse to issue you a copy for your records? Have you spoken to a HR representative, or to anyone externaly about your rights?

My employer put me through the training via an external company and if I leave within 12 months I have to pay them for it. I spoke in the in house HR manager already but I'm going to try again. A photocopy is effectively the same as a photocopy of your driving licence - it's worthless, so I don't see the issue. As far as they are concerned it's for my own personal records. I've spoken with the company that provided the training but they can't do anything without my current employers permission except verbally confirm what I have. I'm pretty sure I should have acess to a copy under H&S reg's. I'll keep at them and hopefully I'll escape.

If your current boss decides to tell your perspective boss about that incident, they wouldn't touch you. It's just not worth doing stuff like that. That's what bars and forums are for.

You're not wrong there but worse things have been thrown by others plus it was out of view of the cameras.

If it was an internal test there is probably little you can do about it. Most firms will not accept another's FLC and that pre-supposes you can actually prize a copy away from the place that put you through the training originally, in which case the best you can hope for is that your potential new employer will foot the bill to re-train you :rolleyes:

Hopefully my potential new employer will get the information they need over the phone. Once I leave my current job I should get my certificate but I'm not going to hand in my notice until the new job is signed, sealed and delivered. It's a kind of a rock and a hard place scenario.
By synsei

Hopefully my potential new employer will get the information they need over the phone. Once I leave my current job I should get my certificate but I'm not going to hand in my notice until the new job is signed, sealed and delivered. It's a kind of a rock and a hard place scenario.

I do sympathise, I've been in a similar situation myself in the past and it is a pain in the arse. I wish you the very best of luck and keep calms and cools, as has already been mentioned it will only take a negative word to your prospective employer to scupper the whole deal... ;)
I love this thread. I can get through it in no time by moving my scroll wheel faster and faster :twisted::P
I love this thread. I can get through it in no time by moving my scroll wheel faster and faster :twisted::P

Did you have a prosthetic scroll wheel installed where your genitals should be?
By synsei

Did you have a prosthetic scroll wheel installed where your genitals should be?

A Wheel Of Fortune??? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
By LRW
Starbucks... names...

Would you give yours or make it up?

If you have no idea what I am on about - most of those out of the UK wont know - Starbucks has started asking its customers their first name when ordering coffee, so they can write it on the cup. Apparently it stops orders getting mixed up. US chains have been doing it for years apparently. Anyway, bit of a backlash apparently with us Brits finding it too 'impersonal' or too 'American'
By andrew
Starbucks... names...

If you have no idea what I am on about - most of those out of the UK wont know - Starbucks has started asking its customers their first name when ordering coffee, so they can write it on the cup. Apparently it stops orders getting mixed up. US chains have been doing it for years apparently. Anyway, bit of a backlash apparently with us Brits finding it too 'impersonal' or too 'American'

Read this earlier on the BBC website. You go in for a hot beverage, not a meet and greet!

Of course, I'd have take the pee one five five with names like Seymore Butts, Arthur Sleep, Mr Bates, sausage Wood, Max E. Pad, Titsiana Boobarini, Ivana Humpalot etc etc. :hehe:
Starbucks... names...

I'm not really a coffee drinker so I'll likely only be affected by this a couple of times a year if I'm in with a friend, but nope I wouldn't give them a name whether real or made up. How about they just do their bloody job and make sure you get what you ask for! If they constantly have mix-ups that's a flaw in their serving system that they should try to fix rather than putting people in an awkward and frankly inappropriate position with this nonsense.

See our F1 related articles too!