FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I just read this on another site, and it really says something to me:

Rosberg toiled for 19 laps trying to pass Vergne, to no avail. Meanwhile Alonso pulled out a four-second advantage over the Mercedes. When Rosberg pitted Hamilton took his place on the tail of the Toro Rosso – and immediately passed Vergne at his first attempt.
I just read this on another site, and it really says something to me:

Rosberg toiled for 19 laps trying to pass Vergne, to no avail. Meanwhile Alonso pulled out a four-second advantage over the Mercedes. When Rosberg pitted Hamilton took his place on the tail of the Toro Rosso – and immediately passed Vergne at his first attempt.

Dont mention that to Roth, it might confuse the poor mite who toiled for ages with his own revisionism

I have just rewatched the race sitting still this time, and I have to say Nicos inability to pass Vergne, and his inability to not get overtaken by the Torro Rosso is a massive factor in his inability to win the race from pole in the fastest car.

It wasn't the inability to get past, it was that the Merc wasn't even pressuring, the same way Alonso and Vettel and Hamilton were line-a-stern. It wasn't just a cruise and overtake afternoon based on the car as much as the tire strategy.

:yikes:
What I'm about to say, I say from a mercedes standpoint and not from a standpoint of favoring one driver over another. Mercedes lost two chances for a win today when they didn't make hamilton move over for rosberg. As has been pointed out, hamilton would have gotten 4th had they done that, but at the time of the call, they were looking at rosberg gaining 3-4 seconds a lap like he did at the end for the chance of a win and also the possibility of hamilton's tires holding out for the win, so when they made that call, they were looking at TWO scenarios in which a win was at least feasible. I think hamilton made the right choice for himself by not just pulling over, and I don't hold that against him. I would have said the same thing, "yo, tell rosberg to get on my gearbox and then I'll let him through, but not a moment before." The ball was dropped when mercedes didn't emphatically tell him to GET THE $#@! OVER because from their pitwall they were looking at the possibility of TWO winning scenarios, two different strategies as I mentioned above. So all in all, whatever hamilton gained by finishing ahead of rosberg, mercedes lost in the end because they don't care who wins, as long as one of them does and preferably as a one-two. Again, I'd have done the same thing as hamilton, and that's coming from an obvious rosberg fan. But I think the team may come under criticism that is reminiscent of red bull last year in malaysia when they told both drivers to turn their engines down and one was like NOPE! It's a little different cuz they got the 1-2 but I expect mercedes may take some heat over this. Or not, because so many people think hamilton shits gold :thumbup:

They obviously had no confidence of Hamilton overtaking Alonso because asking Hamilton to move over at that point was asking Hamilton to settle for 4th place, makes no sense to me and seems like one of the worst calls Mercedes have made so far.

As I mentioned, in hindsight yes he'd have got 4th place, but at the time they were expecting alonso to pit again and lose positions. I don't think anybody expected alonso to last so long on those tires. I know I didnt. Hell of a drive from alonso on those tires!

Wait why didn't you think Alonso could do 32 laps on the options? at the time he went onto his final tyres he had already done a 29 lap stint on a set of the options, Hamilton himself did a 31 lap stint on the options and so did Ricciardo, Raikkonen actually did 33 laps on his 1st set of options.

If Mercedes really thought Alonso wouldn't be able to get another 3 laps out of a set of options when fuel levels were lower and the track was more rubbered in I'm not really sure what to say lol.

Heres a list of the strategies http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/07/27/2 ... pit-stops/
Daaaaaaang that Lewis v Nico thread popped off while I was asleep :rofl: I missed out!!

Good job to hamilton today passing vergne on the same lap that he pitted because his tires were done. What a drive :yawn:

While were handing out compliments, don't forget...

Good job to Rosberg for only managing to lose three positions with the absolute fastest car on the grid, then there's an attaboy to Perez for giving us the most spectacular crash of the weekend, it was the white stripe's fault. Then a big up to Maldonado for actually managing to actually defend the rear guard of the lead lap!

Oh and the burgers webber was flipping during the GP were to die for!
If they'd put Lewis on softs he'd have won it. Wrong strategy, wrong tyres.
Well played!! Didn't maldonado hit raikkonen at one point in turn one? I forgot

Legit question, who hit who when the force india pair collided and hulkenberg retired? NBCSN never said and from the angle I couldn't tell. And they moved on from the replay so fast they never showed if hulkenberg retired at the time of the collision or some time after.

Legit question, who hit who when the force india pair collided and hulkenberg retired? NBCSN never said and from the angle I couldn't tell. And they moved on from the replay so fast they never showed if hulkenberg retired at the time of the collision or some time after.

Hulkenberg drove into Perez

Hulkenberg drove into Perez

Thanks! There goes his epic run of points finishes!!
Tough break for force india! I considered painting my motorcycle with their livery for a while. Too lazy to actually do it tho :P not that I would know wtf I'm doing in the first place, but...w/e :rofl:
For the fantasy league, I couldn't afford the hulk so I picked up Perez... Talk about a no win situation. :banghead:

Wouldn't perez net more points for all the passing? Hulk kinda putts around in 5th-7th all the time whereas perez comes from like 15th to 3rd and stuff
Daaaaaaang that Lewis v Nico thread popped off while I was asleep :rofl: I missed out!!

Good job to hamilton today passing vergne on the same lap that he pitted because his tires were done. What a drive :yawn:

While were handing out compliments, don't forget...

Good job to Rosberg for only managing to lose three positions with the absolute fastest car on the grid, then there's an attaboy to Perez for giving us the most spectacular crash of the weekend, it was the white stripe's fault. Then a big up to Maldonado for actually managing to actually defend the rear guard of the lead lap!

Oh and the burgers webber was flipping during the GP were to die for!

I'm still $#@!*& laughing about this :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

See our F1 related articles too!