FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By 7UpJordan
Ah well at least there are some advantages from having not gone to University. :P
By Gaz
I'm trying desperately and in vain to re-register for student finance. They're utterly useless, I can't even get logged on because their password reset system is "broken" :ranting:

Thats right blame the IT staff because you forgot your password. :P

tut tut.

Pfft, how am I supposed to remember a random 12 digit number, password and secret answer that I used once, 2 years ago? They won't let me re-register either, you have to use the old information even if it's been years since you last applied. So I remarkably manage to find my 12 digit ID and secret answer but their stupid system won't let me reset my password because it's broken and they don't even have a message online to tell you. You have to ring their customer service department, which takes ages, in order for them to tell you "it could be back up today, maybe. Try later".

On top of that two of my friends just got sent letters demanding over a thousand pounds (with interest) for a mistake Student Finance made when working out what loan to give them.

They're completely incompetent.

Rant over.

I'm very tempted to answer your question with a sarcastic response but i fear that would invoke another rant. :P

So i'll simply agree. :boxedin:

But seriously they are muppets, i've got a freind who left uni 5is? years ago who's got issues with his Loan...completely daft.
By Juliet P
^

Sure not looking foreward to that.

Anyway - are you contacting them for finance for your teaching certificate?

Yeah. I need my tuition fees paying. Another £3000+ on top of my ever increasing student debt. At least Durham gives me a nice grant and after my first year of teaching I get a golden hello of £5000 :thumbup:

Fixed that for ya... :P

Though a golden halo is quite a nice concept. :)
By Amanda
^

Sure not looking foreward to that.

Anyway - are you contacting them for finance for your teaching certificate?

Yeah. I need my tuition fees paying. Another £3000+ on top of my ever increasing student debt. At least Durham gives me a nice grant and after my first year of teaching I get a golden hello of £5000 :thumbup:

Fixed that for ya... :P

Though a golden halo is quite a nice concept. :)

Lol oops. You knew what I meant.

I do like the way that all my grants are extra large because I'm a physicist too. Those poor historians get less than half what I do. :D
By Gaz
The goverment appear to be throwing alot of money at these " learn physics and math's and become a astronaught" type adverts i keep hearing on the radio so i guess Physics teachers and Maths Teachers are in demand.

Sucks for History teachers though should be the same for all subjects.
By Amanda
The goverment appear to be throwing alot of money at these " learn physics and math's and become a astronaught" type adverts i keep hearing on the radio so i guess Physics teachers and Maths Teachers are in demand.

Supply and demand :D

There are too many historians and not enough physicists. Works well for me, I was going to do physics with or without a nice bonus.
By Gaz

Supply and demand :D

There are too many historians and not enough physicists. Works well for me, I was going to do physics with or without a nice bonus.

lol, good to know your not just in it for your golden halo, handshake or hello.
By suitcase
so I read some of the books I am currently reading

What are you reading? Anything interesting?!

Yesterday, I spent most of the day working on spreadsheets; played Assassin's Creed 2; read one of the books I got for my birthday. I don't live the most exciting life in the world ;)

Yep! Right now I am reading Les Miserables, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, and The Arabian Nights . I love Les Mis and Perfume (even though I'm only on page 30 of Perfume) but the Arabian Nights is a tedious work at some points. Since it's a made of stories, some are boring and crazy and some are interesting. What book did you read?
By suitcase
I'm at home taking a break from sixth form currently in my prep, gonna crack home with some chemistry revision later though, and enjoy the novelty of a footie match on the bbc. And I'm planning to slot in some reading on wikipedia about the Mongols military tactics and organisation.

What do you mean by "sixth form"? I have heard of it but it confuses me, no disrespect to your education system. I've been told it's the last two years in secondary school but there's also another level?
By RA Dunk
What book did you read?

I just finished reading the last (7th) Harry Potter book, f,ing good read TBH, didnt think I would like them due to me being slightly errrr "older" lol, but thought they were all pretty good read, cant remember the last book I read that I struggled to put down at night but the Harry Potter books did the trick, some nights I would stay up a bit too late reading :(
On top of that two of my friends just got sent letters demanding over a thousand pounds (with interest) for a mistake Student Finance made when working out what loan to give them.

They're completely incompetent.

I'd agree with you there. Have fun when you have to pay it back too.

"Hello, I'd like to pay off my loan. Can you tell me how much I owe?"
"Well, we can tell you how much you owe from 2 years ago, but we can't tell you the balance today."
"Can you work the interest out so I don't overpay?"
"No."

Great, thanks a bunch.
By Amanda
so I read some of the books I am currently reading

What are you reading? Anything interesting?!

Yesterday, I spent most of the day working on spreadsheets; played Assassin's Creed 2; read one of the books I got for my birthday. I don't live the most exciting life in the world ;)

Yep! Right now I am reading Les Miserables, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, and The Arabian Nights . I love Les Mis and Perfume (even though I'm only on page 30 of Perfume) but the Arabian Nights is a tedious work at some points. Since it's a made of stories, some are boring and crazy and some are interesting. What book did you read?

:thumbup:
Les Miserables is fabulous (if not a bit long) although I could have done without the lengthy historical digressions Hugo likes to take.
By suitcase
What book did you read?

I just finished reading the last (7th) Harry Potter book, f,ing good read TBH, didnt think I would like them due to me being slightly errrr "older" lol, but thought they were all pretty good read, cant remember the last book I read that I struggled to put down at night but the Harry Potter books did the trick, some nights I would stay up a bit too late reading :(

Oh, Harry Potter. I love that series. Those books honestly take me away from society because I feel like I am a part of them.
Harry Potter > Twilight

:thumbup:
Les Miserables is fabulous (if not a bit long) although I could have done without the lengthy historical digressions Hugo likes to take.

Yes, an excellent book. I saw the play a few years ago and I was hooked. I started reading it a few months ago and I'm currently on page 850. Sometimes Hugo gets sidetracked and starts talking about random stuff but I love the book nonetheless.

I've always wanted to read Les Miserables but never gotten around to it. I've just downloaded it and stuck it on my DS so hopefully that means I'll get around to reading it soon :thumbup: TBH though I read way too much trashy fantasy (never been a massive fan of Harry Potter though), so all the less trashy stuff tends to take me ages to read (I'm one of those people reads about 5 books at the same time and they tend to be scattered all over the house :( )

I've just finished "The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage" by Clifford Stoll. It's the true story of how a 75cent discrepancy in his accountancy system led him to follow a major hacker through government systems and how they eventually caught him. Yes, it's as geeky as it sounds but it was surprisingly good!
By suitcase

I've always wanted to read Les Miserables but never gotten around to it. I've just downloaded it and stuck it on my DS so hopefully that means I'll get around to reading it soon :thumbup: TBH though I read way too much trashy fantasy (never been a massive fan of Harry Potter though), so all the less trashy stuff tends to take me ages to read (I'm one of those people reads about 5 books at the same time and they tend to be scattered all over the house :( )

I've just finished "The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage" by Clifford Stoll. It's the true story of how a 75cent discrepancy in his accountancy system led him to follow a major hacker through government systems and how they eventually caught him. Yes, it's as geeky as it sounds but it was surprisingly good!

I'm one of those people too - I am never reading one book, usually about 4, 5, or 6. One time I was reading 10.
That book sounds good!

See our F1 related articles too!