FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
In fairness to JB, I think I would be incredibly pissed at the way this has been handled by McLaren, I probably would have simply walked away from McLaren in Brazil leaving them in the lurch. Regardless of Ron's opinion of Jenson, the right thing to do would be tell JB that they won't be retaining his services for 2015.
Mags is going to be absolutely smashed by Alonso next year if there team mates next year, And absolute shellacking IMO

Unless Magnussen suddenly comes of age and does a Hamilton on Alonso in 2015, that would be ironic, Alonso being equally matched again by a rookie!

Which means that Jenson is actually a better driver than Alonso! :wink::P:twisted:
In fairness to JB, I think I would be incredibly pissed at the way this has been handled by McLaren, I probably would have simply walked away from McLaren in Brazil leaving them in the lurch. Regardless of Ron's opinion of Jenson, the right thing to do would be tell JB that they won't be retaining his services for 2015.

RD was around when JB stitched up Frank Williams nice and proper all those years back, there was zero ethic there. Williams' words were something along the lines of a contract being a bond between two gentlemen with the word 'integrity' thrown in there.

RD could simply cut and paste that section of the interview and email it to JB if any public whining begins.

RD was around when JB stitched up Frank Williams nice and proper all those years back, there was zero ethic there.

Sir Frank hasn't always been the nicest person to drivers, dropping Damon Hill at the end of '96 despite becoming world champion... what was worst, they dropped Damon for Frentzen, and Williams got a decent compensation package from Honda, so I don't feel he was too hard done by
MOA, can you think of a team boss who has been as successful as McLaren and Williams to have been the nicest to their drivers? Sauber and the insidious disturbed ex McLaren TP were both nice to poor Jenson no doubt but they were not successful.

I think hammer has a good point here, Ron and Frank are not going to place a drivers feelings ahead of the team not after writing paychecks for 30 mill whilst the team is sponsor less and without a win in that period

And ofcourse Ron will be aware of Jensons propensity to leave the team in the lurch EVEN with a signed binding contract, so Ron probably expected more of the same and probably felt obliged to show Frank how to deal with mercenaries

Also to be fair to Jenson, the fact he was hired by the guy on the top of the McLaren 'shoot on sight ' front gate list probably meant that Ron was always gonna push the boat out to humiliate him as much as his protege was 'inconvenienced'
Not to say Ron would enjoy any of this ofcourse but it's just business and maybe a signal to Alonso who is already playing the type of game Ron is the master at
I just sent an email to McLaren, pointing out the perception of the driver situation and recent history, everything from a typical neutral fans perspective.

Just assured them that despite the last ditch press onslaught, the fans understand what has to be done and that we all expect the firm to do the right thing and not get swayed by sentiment ( :rofl: ) or by the BBC

And just to avoid any misunderstanding at all I finished the email with the following words

Just terminate his Arrrsssseeeee!!!!
I just sent an email to McLaren, pointing out the perception of the driver situation and recent history, everything from a typical neutral fans perspective.

Just assured them that despite the last ditch press onslaught, the fans understand what has to be done and that we all expect the firm to do the right thing and not get swayed by sentiment ( :rofl: ) or by the BBC

And just to avoid any misunderstanding at all I finished the email with the following words

According to JB he's not seen any negative comments on his twitter feed recently, so maybe you should give him what he's missed. :hehe:

RD was around when JB stitched up Frank Williams nice and proper all those years back, there was zero ethic there.

Sir Frank hasn't always been the nicest person to drivers, dropping Damon Hill at the end of '96 despite becoming world champion... what was worst, they dropped Damon for Frentzen, and Williams got a decent compensation package from Honda, so I don't feel he was too hard done by

Sir Frank always said he kept emotionally detached from his drivers after the loss of a good friend, Piers Courage, early on in his team owner career.
Nobody has anything bad to say at a guys wake. In the end, this is about McLaren and not any particular driver. I think a 3rd season for them like the 2013 and 2014 season would set them on the long way round back to the top. I at least feel they can and will get back to the top. The right pieces are in place. Ferrari are a year or so behind McLaren's recent experiences and it's not clear they've got the right piece in place yet to get back to the top. Especially with the looming team budget cuts should the IPO happen in 2015.

McLaren's huge advantage then will be the fact that they know how to run the team with half of the Ferrari budget.

Who is the neutral fan?
MOA, can you think of a team boss who has been as successful as McLaren and Williams to have been the nicest to their drivers? Sauber and the insidious disturbed ex McLaren TP were both nice to poor Jenson no doubt but they were not successful.

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing Sir Frank, Williams are my favorite team on the grid, although I admit I was pissed when Damon was dropped in 1997 after delivering a WDC/WCC. My comment was in response to Hammer saying that JB stitched up Williams, when Sir Frank had "stitched up" other drivers in the past!

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing Sir Frank, Williams are my favorite team on the grid, although I admit I was pissed when Damon was dropped in 1997 after delivering a WDC/WCC. My comment was in response to Hammer saying that JB stitched up Williams, when Sir Frank had "stitched up" other drivers in the past!

That was my most pissed off I've ever been about Williams, when they dropped Damon. I like them again now, and like Claire . Damon would have had another championship if he'd stayed and another if Schumacher hadn't cheated. That's three!
Anyway, sorry , distraction back to Mclaren :thumbup:
I was also upset when they dropped Damon, but he responded in the most noble fashion and went on to prove himself and stick a finger up at the critics, including Murray at Arrows and after.

See our F1 related articles too!