FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
By VroomVroom
Hi there - very pleased just found this forum and so joined up.

Can anyone help me please. I want to take myself and my son to Silverstone. I have of course left it a little late for tickets - was not sure awhile back if we were going to be able to go so did not book - wish I had now! :banghead:

Anyway - I seem to have 2 options at the mo - can book with a local travel company - they are doing a trip which is entry on Saturday, 1 night in hotel, take to race day on Sunday then return home later in evening. The tickets will be General Admission. They have run out children places so I will pay for 2x adults :eek:

OR

On the F1 site I seem to be able to book Copse E for an adult and a child on a 3 day ticket (though we would not be able to get up there til the Sat) - it is much cheaper but means I need to get us there and back and find accommodation for the Sat.

Not sure which way to turn - take the more expensive option and know everything is done for me in terms of transfer, tickets, hotel etc etc and I can just sit and relax or do I get myself there - prob better for my bank balance!!

My main concern is trying to work out which would be best viewing. I have not been to Silverstone (well not since a child anyway) and even looking at the circuit map etc I am a little confused. Copse is referred to as good as it is the start/an exciting bend etc. We will be in Bronze Terrace and standing.

General admission refers to being 'outside the circuit' but it seems you can position yourself wherever you like? Does this mean that by standing in Copse E you are closer to the track and possibly a better view?

Main concern is that my son who is 1.50cm will have a load of tall folk stood in front and won't be able to see.

I would love to take him for the atmosphere and excitement but if he won't be able to see anything then it will be a nightmare :(

HELP!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

VroomVroom :drummer:
By tombo
I went to a renault world series meeting they held at silverstone last year, which had most of the grand stands open for the public.

I found that it was tricky to find a good spot to watch on foot, because there were advertising boards on most of the fencing. You could occasionally find a spot that wasn't crowded & with a clear view of the track - albeit with only 1 corner in view.

This was just a renault world series event mind, I presume the grand prix itself will be much worse. It would certainly be very crowded with people gathering in the same spot to see the tiniest bit of track; along with huge advert boards and even some dark netting in some places (they had it at the nurburgring in '07, to stop the locals peering through).

However, I toured the start/finish straight grandstand, Stowe grandstand & the abbey grandstand, and had great views with no annoying advertising boards in my face. I can't remember why i didn't go to the one at copse though, it may have been closed, but i suspect it would have been a good view.

So really, for the experience, i would fork out the extra cash if i had it.

PS. Sorry if to the regulars this is a dumb question but any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

Thats fine with me, i only joined myself about an hour and a half ago :P
By VroomVroom
Hi Tombo - thanks for your reply. Sorry - to clarify when I said "sit and relax" I meant on the coach on the way up and back with holiday company and go straight to hotel rather than driving up and getting stuck in traffic or whatever. The holiday company simply offers General Admission which is on foot - I am concerned it refers to being 'outside the circuit' - errr - how outside?

The Copse E ticket is also standing but it refers to being in a grandstand area so I am wondering if we are General Admission are we right on the outskirts of the track in which case viewing is harder OR as we can wander around - would we be so lucky to find a spot with an OK view?

I am getting more confused by the minute :rolleyes::rolleyes: Cheaper and easier to watch at home on TV me thinks :rofl: but of course no where near the fantastic atmosphere and my son is SO keen to go. He met Lewis Hamilton last year at Goodwood and so this is his next 'step up' in the world of motor racing :clap:

So - Copse E and standing or General Admission and standing......?????

:confused:
By tombo
I'd go for the Copse E standing. Thousands of others with general admission tickets will be looking for the same spots, and i hate crowds :P
By VroomVroom
I'd go for the Copse E standing. Thousands of others with general admission tickets will be looking for the same spots, and i hate crowds :P

Mmm - that's what I was wondering. I am thinking that in Copse E you are at least in an allocated area and with a set number of people allowed whereas perhaps General Addy means you are not allowed in these areas and so have to squeeze in wherever you can elsewhere....

I will ponder a little longer but not too long as both availabilities will probably go :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks.
By racechick
Id go for the 3 day tickets , much easy with a child. He will have a guaranteed seat. General entry on race day ,especially arriving by laid on transport , you wont get good viewing, you need to be there about 6am, even then its a crush. With Grandstand, your seat is reserved. Id do that and camp, its easy, you can walk to the track and it covers your parking too. I can give you details if you're interested.
By VroomVroom
Hi again

Thanks for advice. The more I thought about it this afternoon the more I worried about what I was 'rushing' to book up. I then had a re-think. 3 day no good for us as not free til the Sat, the tour company trip would mean re-arranging things because of Sat departure and I decided that general admission not so good. Had another look at Silverstone site (silly me had look on the ticket site here and thought it only had adult seats available (did not realise you need to click to show child seats :rolleyes: duh ) and have now booked just for race day - Hangar Straight Silver - reserved seating - and though I wish I could have done the 3 dayer - I am more than happy with what I have got :hehe::yes: Hopefully no one will shatter my pleasure now and post up that Hangar Straight not such good viewing!

Racechick - the camp site sounds good - could have been an option for us for just the Sat night perhaps? As it is when I booked I had not seen your post - the lady said best bet for me would be to leave in early hours/stay somewhere near night before and park at circuit so I have paid for parking. I will prob head up at some point Sat afternoon and get somewhere a little nearer so could we camp and then drive off in morning? Details would be handy to know for future years anyway - I have rushed this all abit and would get more organised for another time. At least inside I am smiling as not letting on to son I have managed to book - hee hee - he will be so happy and surprised!!!! :rofl:

Cheers.

VroomVroom :wavey:
By VroomVroom
Have I done OK with Hangar anyone? Silverstone rang me to say they had probs with computer so could not process my booking and will ring me tomorrow to go through it again so I have last chance to change if needs be.....

Also info on camping would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

By EwanM
Have I done OK with Hangar anyone? Silverstone rang me to say they had probs with computer so could not process my booking and will ring me tomorrow to go through it again so I have last chance to change if needs be.....

Many thanks,

Well there are a number of camp site located in and around the circuit.
Hangar Straight will be cool, i'm down at Stowe this year, either way it'll be amazing.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/php/ci_acc ... sites.html here's a list of camp sites.
By 7UpJordan

Many thanks,

Hangar Straight? Wise choice my friend, that's where I am sitting again this year. Just hope the weather's a little bit better this year. :)
By racechick
Hi again

Thanks for advice. The more I thought about it this afternoon the more I worried about what I was 'rushing' to book up. I then had a re-think. 3 day no good for us as not free til the Sat, the tour company trip would mean re-arranging things because of Sat departure and I decided that general admission not so good. Had another look at Silverstone site (silly me had look on the ticket site here and thought it only had adult seats available (did not realise you need to click to show child seats :rolleyes: duh ) and have now booked just for race day - Hangar Straight Silver - reserved seating - and though I wish I could have done the 3 dayer - I am more than happy with what I have got :hehe::yes: Hopefully no one will shatter my pleasure now and post up that Hangar Straight not such good viewing!

Racechick - the camp site sounds good - could have been an option for us for just the Sat night perhaps? As it is when I booked I had not seen your post - the lady said best bet for me would be to leave in early hours/stay somewhere near night before and park at circuit so I have paid for parking. I will prob head up at some point Sat afternoon and get somewhere a little nearer so could we camp and then drive off in morning? Details would be handy to know for future years anyway - I have rushed this all abit and would get more organised for another time. At least inside I am smiling as not letting on to son I have managed to book - hee hee - he will be so happy and surprised!!!! :rofl:

Cheers.

VroomVroom :wavey:

Type British Grand Prix Camping into google and you'll get the camp site info. There are many as Ewman says. Some have more facilities than others. The one i use is basically a farmers field with a loo block but its fairly quiet and very near the track.
Your son will love it! What a lovely suprise!

See our F1 related articles too!