FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Will the new rule concerning the F1 drivers championship lead to more punting?

Yes there is a big temptation for the second place driver to punt, and it will happen
38%
No, there will be a big temptation for the second place driver to punt, but it won't happen
15%
No, there won't be actual punting, but there may be a lot of accidents caused by the 2nd driver going into a corner all or nothing
38%
No, there won't be a big temptation for the second place driver to punt, and there won't be excessive risks taken
8%
Other/Don't know
No votes
0%
Imagine that two drivers are competing for the win, and each is aiming for the championship, the 2nd place driver can't find a way past. In that case, the 2nd place driver loses nothing, and potentially gains if there is an accident taking both of them out. In some cases, such an accident could keep the 2nd place driver in the championship, while a win for the other driver would knock the 2nd place driver out. Will this cause problems?
Imagine that two drivers are competing for the win, and each is aiming for the championship, the 2nd place driver can't find a way past. In that case, the 2nd place driver loses nothing, and potentially gains if there is an accident taking both of them out. In some cases, such an accident could keep the 2nd place driver in the championship, while a win for the other driver would knock the 2nd place driver out. Will this cause problems?

Quite possibly, although I'd like to think that the drivers are a little more respectful than that. Still, some of them are the win at all costs type, I reckon.
Some drivers will accidentally cause incidents, a couple will force others off the road (Maybe not deliberately trying to end their race, but certainly force them into trouble). It's a nonsense idea.
Last edited by Jensonb on 17 Mar 09, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Nah, Schumacher has gone now. The dirty cheat.

:rofl::rofl::yes::yes:
One word: stewards!

Drivers will be chicken enough because of them plus those extra humongous front wings look rather fragile...

This is true..but what worries me is that the stewards have a habbit of turning a blind eye to some ferrari misgivings.

i can see Lewis being P1 and Kimi taking him out and nothing happen next race Lewis returns the favour and gets a race ban
How often last year did we see a fight for P1 towards the end of the race? Very rarely, these new rules wont change a thing racing wise.

Yeh but it wasn't boring i mean even when there was no fight Brazil was great

Silverstone Fantastic!

Germany was amazing, Spa...

to name a few.

the 12 point fota would of worked.
I think FerrariFan63 raises a valid point. I am certain some drivers would be tempted to punt their rival of the grid or try some questionable moves, even with the bigger front wings and stewards. The stewards themselves are interesting factor in this, for their decisions are not usually logical.

See our F1 related articles too!