FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By Evaneoun
Jusy a quick question, I'm wondering about having a go at something like a track day but I've never driven above the speed limit so I have no idea what anything over 70mph really feels like. So is it much different driving fast? I'm thinking in terms of handling the car, reaction times etc...
By darwin dali
It all depends on the vehicle you're driving. I've done over 100mph on my Goldwing and it felt like normal, like 75mph.
You could go drive on the German Autobahn to try it out (before they introduce a speed limit - or is it already introduced?).
By bud
it all depends on the car youre driving really. what car do you plan on taking to the track?

dd i thought only parts of the autobahn had a speed limit? theres still stretches of unlimited fun hehe
By darwin dali
Well, I saw some news report that they are working on introducing a general speed limit. Not sure how far that has progressed already.
By Selcouth_Feline
Really depends on the car. Wouldn't dare take my current car anywhere near a track - it's had nice new tyres, wishbones etc put on it and it still handles badly at high speed.

Speed is kind of relative anyway - 70 in an elise feels quicker because it's so close to the ground. 70 in a morgan feels sooooo slow!

You could always get one of those red-letter day packages as a sort of taster? When I left my last place of work, they got me a day in an F355 (not that I've been yet!). You do a couple of laps with the instructor driving so they can show you the right lines etc and then you take over with the instructor in the passenger seat.
By welshie
The driving techniques are totally different at speed and I'd suggest some tuition first. I've been lucky enough to spin my car at over 100mph on the roads in Wales and not crash in to anything!

I think to take part in track days you will need a Sunday Licence but all the info you'll need is on the Motor Sports Association (MSA) website bellow. They are the governing body for all motor sports in GB. Have fun, Welsh

http://www.msauk.org/
By 7UpJordan
Probably depends on what kind of car you're driving.
By Evaneoun
Thanks for the advice and thoughts there, I don't know what car really because I was thinking of some sort of organised event where you drive whatever car they have. Certainly couldn't take my own car round a race track, it'd fall to bits lol!

Will have to look around a bit I think.

Thanks again! :)
By vegas
As long as your tires are in good condition and have at least an R speed rating you wont have any problems driving up to 100mph in a straight line. The main thing is the faster you drive the smoother and less input you need to correct the car. Braking is another issue. The average vehicles brakes are not designed to brake from speeds of 100 mph. You will fade the brakes under hard braking and they will become useless. If you are attempting to break your current personal speed record wear a seatbelt and pay close attention to any vibrations that may occur. Good luck!
By iceman
As already mentioned speed is relative to the vehicle you are driving (or in your case, the vehicle you choose to do the event in)

Track days are a must for any speed freak but for a first time experience you'd best choose the track wisely (under recommendations) Certain tracks are more forgiving than others, with more run-off space to help you build confidence in direct relation to your building of speed and experience there of.

Generally speaking, a nice tight low to the ground elice would be a perfect car. Lotus offer driver experience days that are just fantastic. A portion of the day is spent (after the obligatory briefing..very important) having one on one tuiton with a qualified race instructor (the passenger laps sitting next to them are just mind blowing when you can see how they do it) and then it's solo fun trying to beat your best lap times. Don't for heavens sake head straight for an autobarn, you have a responcibility to keep yourself and members of the public safe.

Generaly considered the best chassis of all time, you really can't go wrong with throwing a lotus around an organised track event. Peoples levels of experience and skills are prejudged and you will be sent out in sessions with others of the same ilk, so no worries there of 'driving god' types cuting you up on every corner.

I have links to event tables and tracks available if it would be of interest to you.

Whatever and wherever you choose, i wish you the very best and the very safest of times.
By Flyer23
I raced for 15 years here in the States. Speed is all relative. If you drive a go kart at 50 MPH it feels like 100, yet at over 140 MPH in my Formula atlantic it felt ok. The big problem comes into play when you go off the track over 100 MPH. If the car handles decent, the brakes and tires are good, you will enjoy yourself. just remember to not be an idiot, go slow at first and work your way up. Don't expect to be the next Montoya in your first laps out. It takes time. Even now I have a Porsche 944 Turbo that i have set up for the track and in only 3 events this year I am still learning how this car handles at speed because it weighs 3000 LBS and my Atlantic car was only 990 LBS. Even with my experience it is still taking time for me to be quick with this car, but I must say after only 3 events and 7 years of driving the speed limit, because I stopped racing in 1999, I am only 1.4 seconds off the lap record for my cllass at one track and .8 at the other that I ran. I know with a few more I will be able to break them both no problem. Mostly because I have no brakes after 2 laps and found a cracked valve at my last event a week ago. So with both issues remidied I would think I should be ALLOT faster and all of this on street tires and not racing slicks which is waht all the guys run. I am looking forward to next year already when I get my license back and do a bunch of Porsche Club races...... :D
By bud
flyer you need to strip that thing! oh and lighten your car :P
By Freddie
I've done 250 km/h in my Audi on the german motorway - no special feeling until you start breaking. THen you realize how long you need to stop
By Evaneoun
Thanks for all the advice guys :) I shan't be heading out to an autobahn, would rather do something with training, think that would be the best. Will let you know if I get to do something!
By bud
be safe about it ;) listen to flyer

See our F1 related articles too!