FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
Bridgestone appointed sole MotoGP tyre supplier from 2009
Saturday, 18 October 2008

Bridgestone has today been officially appointed the sole tyre supplier for the MotoGP World Championship for a three-year period starting from 2009.

The decision comes following an announcement in September from the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) that MotoGP will become a single-make tyre formula from 2009, and after a subsequent tender process in which Bridgestone was the only tyre manufacturer to submit a proposal to FIM and Dorna.

The specific regulations pertaining to the single tyre contract will be confirmed by FIM in due course.

[...]

linky (full story)

Curiously enough, Michelin didn't even submit their proposal to be the tyre supplier, they just folded. Well, they said they don't want to stay if there's no competition anymore. Therefore the decision on the tyre supplier was pretty straightforward. I will miss the competition a bit, but it probably won't affect the series in a major way.
It's only my opinion, but I think Michelin have become less competitive. Two drivers switched to Bridgestone this year (Rossi, Pedrosa) and there are only a few of them left on Michelins.

I guess we won't be seeing Hayden's shiny smile on their TV ad anymore :D
Bye, bye Michelin :wavey:

See our F1 related articles too!