FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By bud
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 1915.shtml
The organisers of the GP2 series announced today that a new GP3 Series will be launched in 2010.

This series will be a stepping-stone into GP2 Series, and will take place within the GP2 race weekends.

The chassis, the engine and the tyres will be decided after a consultation with the manufacturers who have shown interest in supporting GP3.

The engine will be two-litres with 250 HP. The chassis will incorporate the latest single seater design features.

The GP2 concept, which took over from F3000, was setup by Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore. The FIA is currently looking to start an F2 series with Palmer Sport and the new series' is seen by many as an ongoing battle between FOM CEO Ecclestone and FIA President Max Mosley to control the upper echelons of the sport.

Bernie Ecclestone
“After the tremendous success of the GP2 Series, I believe this GP3 Series will be an opportunity for drivers, engineers and mechanics who are making their way to Formula One. I wish good luck to this Series.

Bruno Michel
“The philosophy behind GP3 Series will be very similar to what we did in GP2 regarding the performance of the car, the control of the costs, the show, the safety and the training to access to the following category, but adjusted to the level of this new Series. We will make sure that this Series will be as successful as GP2 in revealing young drivers able to jump to the next step. We are looking forward to 2010.”

E.A. © CAPSIS International

guess FIA F3 is next
By AKR
Or how about a rival to F1 called GP1? :hehe:
By McLaren Fan
This all sounds like part of the FIA and Ecclestone's power struggle.
By przemo
How long will we have to put up with this political b.:censored:.t.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.
By Red Five
How long will we have to put up with this political b.:censored:.t.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Ecclestone did register GP1 as a trademark after GP2 was announced apparently, but that would have been a good decision even if he never planned on using it.
By cap-dude
This to me sounds like, you invade our territory with F2, we start GP3 to rival F3.
Honestly, things are fine the way they are. We need no more junior categories at all.
By 7UpJordan
HUH? We already have a stepping stone to GP2. It's called British Formula 3.

And also the Formula 3 Euroseries.
By KyrosV
HUH? We already have a stepping stone to GP2. It's called British Formula 3.

F3 is probably a steping stone to F2 now :confused:

F3 >> F2
--------------->> F1
GP3 >> GP2

See our F1 related articles too!