FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By scotty
So, the guy is GP2 champ, but i keep hearing there's pretty much no way he'll be offered a drive in F1. Anyone know the reasons for this? I know he drove for Jordan in 2004, but surely he wasn't that poor in F1 originally?
By EwanM
So, the guy is GP2 champ, but i keep hearing there's pretty much no way he'll be offered a drive in F1. Anyone know the reasons for this? I know he drove for Jordan in 2004, but surely he wasn't that poor in F1 originally?

I think Pantano and Senna haven't set the world on fire this year in GP2.
The real star is Lucas Degrassi who didn't turn up in the campos till Magny cours and still ended up one point away from Senna in 3rd place in the championship. No wonder Torro Rosso have said they are interested.
By McLaren Fan

I think Pantano and Senna haven't set the world on fire this year in GP2.
The real star is Lucas Degrassi who didn't turn up in the campos till Magny cours and still ended up one point away from Senna in 3rd place in the championship. No wonder Torro Rosso have said they are interested.

Pantano is not good enough for Formula One. If anybody offers him a Formula One seat it will be because they've had a nasty bang on the head.

Senna hardly set the world alight, but when you consider that he has not done a lot of racing because of his mother banning him from it after Imola 1994, he's done pretty well. He needs another season in GP2 so we can tell whether he's good enough or not.

I agree with you about Di Grassi would have won the championship had he not missed the first six rounds of the season.

There are other good rookies about as well. Hulkenberg and Grosjean look good prospects. They're extremely fast, but need to work on their race craft and stop making some pretty bad, gaffes, caused due to inexperience.
By 7UpJordan
Pantano's been around this level for such a long time it's no wonder he won the title. I hope people don't put Senna out in the cold just because he came runner up, he could have had the title easily if he didn't have his pit crew messing up his pit stops, dogs running out on track, FIA stewards ruining his race. To do what he has done this season on GP2 having had so little experience is quite simply an incredible feat itself.
By McLaren Fan
Pantano may become the most successful GP2 driver ever. :twisted:
By 7UpJordan
Pantano may become the most successful GP2 driver ever. :twisted:

I remember Satoru Nakajima was stuck in Formula 2 for a while in the mid 80's and won the title 7 times if I remember correctly... don't think it was 7, but Pantano looks like he wants to beat that record. :lol:
By cap-dude
Patano is now 29. He's got no potential, while other drivers, you can see them actually improving. Not only that, he was far from spectacular. He was just the guy that sat there, did no overtaking, and positions were nearly given to him through others crashing or stupid penalties.
Usually when a team hires a driver at 29. They're expecting that driver to bring experience. Patano can't bring that either.

Roman Grosjean was great. But things like, the car braking down, or other drivers smashing into his car (happened about 4 times to him) meant he was left behind. Bruno had similar luck this year.

Really, it was Di Grassi, starting last in Spa and making it to the points. He had some great drives, and made it all the way to 3rd. Really, he was the most impressive this year. But him getting into F1, hes gotta hope Renault have a place or 2 open this year, cause I think he does deserve it.
By f1maniac95
I think Di Grassi has done very well and Senna considering the little experience he's had.

See our F1 related articles too!