FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By darwin dali
Shock and surprise: the cat is out of the bag with VB going to Alfa Romeo next year, who doubts there will be an announcement soon that GR is to join Mercedes?
Damn time that he gets his own support thread here!
Woohoo, finally some competition for Hamilton at Mercedes, Bottas had some flashes of speed, occasionally beating Hamilton, but generally has failed to match Hamilton, I hope that George can deliver on his promise, and is not forced to play second fiddle to Hamilton by Toto and co.
myownalias wrote: 07 Sep 21, 18:38 … and is not forced to play second fiddle to Hamilton by Toto and co.
Be real! The first paragraph of his contract will have some language to the effect as to describe his role as a ‘team driver’, which is code for second fiddle.
darwin dali wrote: 07 Sep 21, 18:54
myownalias wrote: 07 Sep 21, 18:38 … and is not forced to play second fiddle to Hamilton by Toto and co.
Be real! The first paragraph of his contract will have some language to the effect as to describe his role as a ‘team driver’, which is code for second fiddle.
But, I thought that Lewis was the GOAT, who relishes the challenge... are you suggesting it's not true? :yikes:
Russell has to go all in and establish himself as the #1 driver early in 2022. If he doesn't show the killer instinct then he will not be seen as 'the one'.
Russell said it had been made clear to him by team boss Toto Wolff that divisions would not be tolerated.

"I think Mercedes have had clear experience of a poor dynamic within the team and they've made it absolutely clear that they don't want a repeat and on a personal level as well, I don't want that either," he said. "Lewis and I are at very different stages of our careers which I think also helps.

"I have a huge amount of respect for him. I think just being so much younger and looking up to him as a young karting driver changes that dynamic a lot too. I don't see there being any issues at all."

All code for being hired as a number two driver.
“He’s [Russell has] proven that he deserves to have a seat in a top car and now we need to get him properly adjusted into the Mercedes situation… there’s a lot more pressure, he’s having an unbelievable team mate with the biggest records and there it’s important that you condition him and you calibrate him in the right way,” said Wolff.

“I think you have to respect also the other guy’s perspective, and ambition,” said Wolff. “We are not going to put a driver in the car who is not going to have the ambition to do as good as possible to kick his team mate as hard as he can, win races and championships early too, and that’s clear.

“So I can put myself into his perspective, so I’m trying to discuss with him what that means for the team dynamic, what it could mean, how we need to keep the momentum in the team. And he’s very intelligent, he gets that.”
Russell has to from the first practice session go all out and show Lewis that he the #1 driver.

If he doesn't have this killer instinct then he is not the one.
George beat Lewis today in Sochi Q, was the first to gamble on slicks, and claimed third, while Hamilton was in the wall twice in the final five minutes of the session, an omen to the future maybe?

See our F1 related articles too!