FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Martin
I am somewhat concerned about the drive by teams to use AI for car design, strategy and even construction. I understand that AI will cost considerably less than people and that smaller teams can get closer to the front more quickly if they use AI to design and to develop strategy on race day. However, the big plus for me in F1 is that, unlike virtually any other version of motor sport, the cars are designed, built and maintained by the team, and strategy is decided by the team. If AI takes over we will have a grid full of cars that are virtually the same, strategy will be almost predictable and the whole thing will be come tedious and boring. F1 is a real team sport. The driver is just one element of the team. It is sad that teams are saying that they will always use humans in the driving seat but everything else will be created and controlled by computer. Sport is, by definition, a test of human endevour, if AI takes over then there is no human endevour. Even if drivers are human they will be constantly fed with AI instructions on how to drive etc by the strategy computer. Lets resist this move and not allow computers to ruin our sport. I'm not suggesting that designers should only be allowed a pencil, a ruler and a drawing board, because F1 is a tech sport but the computer should be the servant, not the master. The ideas and decisions should be human, not electronic.
Surely AI is only used to fine tune the philosophy of the designers ideas. It will not come up with the ideas itself.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Is there something going on that I am unaware of; as far as I know, computers and AI are an aid to strategy etc, not something that dictates strategy.

Do you have a link to an article about what you describe?
By Martin
I have been aware of the growing interest in AI in F1 from people that I know within the industry, however, my article was prompted after I read an article in March 2019 issue of 'F1 Racing' magazine by Jonathan Noble under the heading 'F1 Insider'.
To answer an earlier point, AI does not control things at present but, many constructors see what they interpret as benefits from full AI where, yes, the computers will make the decisions and produce the ideas in design and strategy in a much shorter time and considerably lower cost. Mercedes is embarking on a major AI development program with HP and Williams is working with Acronis to further develop AI, and other teams are probably working with someone. I dont think that any 0f this leads to a good place for F1 or the fans. Of course we want faster cars and reduced costs so that smaller teams can compete better, but not at the inevitable cost of bland uniformity, neither do we want it to be a battle of software instead of a battle of engineering and driving skills. Do we?
If history is anything to go by, the FIA will quash any decision-making AI systems, at least on the sporting side, strategy etc, I don't think they can do anything about its use in the development of cars off the track. The FIA doesn't seem to like automated technology, that the team or driver does not initiate.
I am very interested in the implementation of artificial intelligence in the automotive industry, and at the moment I am at the university doing research that concerns artificial intelligence in the automotive industry and the creation of special software for this, such as CRM, you can read more about this technology here. Automotive CRM tools are specially designed and customized so that car dealers can store customer data and manage relationships much easier and better. This will make life easier for both car buyers and sellers.
Last edited by Xidorn Smith on 08 Mar 21, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
By gdh
Ferrari could use any intelligence whether human or artificial. After stating that attaining any podiums is not likely for ‘21 btn them and Haas it is a race to who will set the bar lower. Hopefully Mercedes B team will push the Merc. factory team.

See our F1 related articles too!