FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Just wait for the outrage if LH loses to SV by one point because of the fastest lap points system.
F1 is set to award a bonus point to the driver who sets the fastest lap in races in the 2019 season.

Sky Sports understands the new rule is planned to come into effect at the season-opening Australian GP on March 17, pending the clearance of final regulatory hurdles before Melbourne.

he extra point will only be awarded if the driver who sets the race's fastest lap also finishes in the top 10.

F1 last awarded a point for fastest race laps in 1959.

Martin Brundle's view
"It's another dimension to look out for and rewards speed, which is what Formula 1 is all about," said the Sky F1 commentator and analyst.

"I like the concept, especially if somebody like a Ricciardo, a Raikkonen, or whoever, can sneak in and steal an extra point off the front-runners because they're watching each other too closely and pacing themselves.

"I quite like the idea of pushing people along so they can't coast too much."

F1's points-system tweak
The sport's current points-scoring system for the top-10 race finishers has been in place since 2010, with the little-loved double points format of Abu Dhabi 2014 proving a one-off experiment.

Fastest lap points were awarded during the course of F1's first decade from 1950, but only race finishes have since counted.

Valtteri Bottas recorded the most fastest race laps in 2018 with seven. Six of those came when the Mercedes driver finished in the top 10, meaning he would have scored six extra points over the season in the same scenario as 2019.

While the idea of points for pole position has been floated in the past, only Sunday's results continue to be counted.

"I'd probably consider more points, such as for pole position, but I think there's already enough incentive in that respect," added Brundle. "The nightmare scenario there would be that championship got collected on a Saturday afternoon."

Source: https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... tralian-gp
Hurray! Everybody gets a point for something. Just like kids T-ball. How about points for just showing up? Current points structure is embarrassing compared to the sport in its earlier years when drivers and constructors really had to work at it. Heck points in the thousands these days throw shade on the accomplishments of equally qualified drivers and constructors times past.

No. Disallow the fast lap point. In fact, I'd be in support of going back to the top six finishers points of days past.
Just wait for the outrage if LH loses to SV by one point because of the fastest lap points system.

Here are the revised results for 2007:

(With 6 points added for Raikkonen, 3 points to Alonso and 2 points to Hamilton for fastest laps earned while finishing in the top ten.)

1. Raikkonen 116
2. Alonso 112
3. Hamilton 111

Alonso is now alone in second place and Hamilton third. Outrageous!
I'll give it a chance - why not?

How long before we hear something like this:

Pitwall: " Valtteri slow down, that's Lewis's point."
I find the whole thing pointless (well, one point ;-) ), Martin Brundle said that he likes it as it gives drivers the incentive to go fast. If drivers don't have the incentive to go as fast as possible, they need to get out of an F1 car and allow someone who gives 110% every lap to drive.
Yes, but at those times when drivers can open the taps, they shouldn't need a points incentive to drive as fast as possible.

I think they do when they're not looking at a podium place with 10 laps to go. What good would it do to push if you're 35 seconds behind the next placed driver? You can't possibly catch up with him over the last 10 laps, let alone pass him. So you'd rather decide to dial it down and save the engine, etc.

Enter the fastest lap point reward and we may get at least some speedier action on track rather than the cruising to the finish line. And that might potentially entail things like running out of fuel, agricultural excursions, power unit failures, etc.
I'd say BRING IT ON :thumbup:
It could especially liven things up at the end of a race where two or three drivers are going back and forth trading fastest laps.
Or it could work out to be 21 free points to Red Bull if they like last year are the slowest of the top three teams with a large gap to the second tier. Just pit the 6th place Red Bull for new tires, rejoin in 6th place due to the large gap and put in a fastest lap. Done. One point per race awarded to Red Bull.
Last edited by overboost on 10 Mar 19, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Kimi/Gio could be the spoiler this year.

See our F1 related articles too!