FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
Pirelli asked to simplify tyre naming system

MONTE CARLO, Monaco -- Confusion over whether a hyper-soft tyre is a softer compound than an ultra-soft looks set to end next year as Pirelli prepares itself to adopt a simple soft, medium and hard naming system at each race.

Pirelli currently has seven different compounds to choose from over the course of a season and selects three for each race. The compounds are named hyper-soft, ultra-soft, super-soft, soft, medium, hard and super-hard and each features a different colour of writing on the sidewall.

The plan is to keep a wide range of compounds, but simplify the naming system so that the hardest tyre at any given weekend is called the hard, the middle compound is called the medium and the softest, the soft. Three colours would be used throughout the season to correspond with the naming system and details of exactly which compound is being used would be made available to those that are interested.

"We had a request from FOM and also the FIA to just call them hard, medium and soft, with three colours," Pirelli racing director Mario Isola explained. "It would be the same colours and same names for all the races.

"Obviously they would be different compounds because we cannot use the same compounds for Silverstone, Monaco and Suzuka. So the idea is to have three names, three colours and let's say on a second level we have compound A, B, C, D, F or whatever, and we will tell you that for this race the Hard tyre is B and the Medium is D and whatever.

"For spectators it is probably more understandable but we have also the possibility to go deeper in detail for technical information that we will continue to provide."

Ok, I get it, it makes it easier for the public to understand the basics of tire choices. I still want to know the details though. As long as those details are still available to me, I'm fine with this change.
By Stephen
They should remove any reference to tyre type and issue randomly (same number of sets but no clue which set is the fastest/most durable), would make qualifying/race a whole lot more interesting! Surprise grid reversals but qualifying given meaning through a sensible points system - 5 points for qualifying 1st, 3 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd.

Oil slicks and cannons might be a tad too far so I'll hold back on those! :hehe:
By Stephen
You eeevillll.

I just can't stand the predictability of F1, coupled with drivers continually 'managing' their race. I think whoever we support, we want to see that driver/team race like a complete nutter from start to finish (or start to the 3rd corner if you support Grosjean). :twisted:
Let's just have slicks, intermediates, and wets? seven compounds is just silly, seriously, hyper-soft and super-hard.
By sagi58
...seven compounds is just silly, seriously, hyper-soft and super-hard.

I'm betting Pirelli starts naming their tires after ice cream flavours...
Waiting to see what the pistacchio one does!! :thumbup:

See our F1 related articles too!