FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Looks like Hammy is under investigation by HM Revenue and Customs.

They are looking at the schemes he used to get the $4.4M USD in taxes he paid on his Bombardier in Canada reimbursed when he imported the jet to the UK. He also ran a similar scheme on his $20M USD motor-home to avoid taxes on that purchase as well.

Many shell companies were set up offshore to basically rent his own jet back to himself disguised as a business. However the whole racket is based on Hamilton signing a tax declaration that the plane is only used for business purposes, no personal use. An obvious lie if just a quick check is done on any of Hamilton's social media accounts!

It is one thing to lie to race stewards, just hold a press conference implicating a teammate and all is good. Lying to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs though can lead to all sorts of really nasty real world legal problems.

This is how Lewis Hamilton avoided paying tax on a £16.5 million private jet

- Formula One star Lewis Hamilton avoided paying tax on his £16.5 million private jet, according to the BBC and The Guardian.
- The Paradise Papers revealed that Hamilton used an Isle of Man scheme to set up businesses that rented out his own jet to himself.
- He received a 100% VAT refund on the plane, despite using the jet for personal as well as professional trips.

"The British racing driver has a fortune of £130 million, according to The Guardian, and is the 10th highest-paid athlete in the world, but this did not stop him from dodging tax on his lavish purchase.

The Guardian reported that as part of an Isle of Man scheme — which will now be investigated by HM Revenue and Customs — Hamilton, accountancy firm EY, and Appleby set up "seemingly artificial looking businesses through which they rented their own jets from themselves."

Hamilton reportedly used companies in the British Virgin Islands (BVI), the Isle of Man, and Guernsey in order to get £3.3 million in VAT returned to him when he imported his red Bombardier aircraft from Canada in 2013.

He also appears to have avoided paying tax on €1.7 million (£1.5 million) motorhome he purchased by setting up a company in the Isle of Man, and "channels his earnings through tax haven companies in Guernsey, Malta and the BVI."

However, experts told The Guardian that the scheme appears "artificial" and is "open to challenge," with law professors adding that it was potentially "abusive" and doesn't appear to follow European law.

Further, while jet owners are entitled to reclaim VAT on the purchase and running costs of their aircraft if they use it for business purposes, VAT must be paid if they use it for holidays or private leisure."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/how-lewis ... et-2017-11
Looks like Hammy is under investigation by HM Revenue and Customs.

They are looking at the schemes he used to get the $4.4M USD in taxes he paid on his Bombardier in Canada reimbursed when he imported the jet to the UK. He also ran a similar scheme on his $20M USD motor-home to avoid taxes on that purchase as well.

Many shell companies were set up offshore to basically rent his own jet back to himself disguised as a business. However the whole racket is based on Hamilton signing a tax declaration that the plane is only used for business purposes, no personal use. An obvious lie if just a quick check is done on any of Hamilton's social media accounts!

It is one thing to lie to race stewards, just hold a press conference implicating a teammate and all is good. Lying to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs though can lead to all sorts of really nasty real world legal problems.

This is how Lewis Hamilton avoided paying tax on a £16.5 million private jet

- Formula One star Lewis Hamilton avoided paying tax on his £16.5 million private jet, according to the BBC and The Guardian.
- The Paradise Papers revealed that Hamilton used an Isle of Man scheme to set up businesses that rented out his own jet to himself.
- He received a 100% VAT refund on the plane, despite using the jet for personal as well as professional trips.

"The British racing driver has a fortune of £130 million, according to The Guardian, and is the 10th highest-paid athlete in the world, but this did not stop him from dodging tax on his lavish purchase.

The Guardian reported that as part of an Isle of Man scheme — which will now be investigated by HM Revenue and Customs — Hamilton, accountancy firm EY, and Appleby set up "seemingly artificial looking businesses through which they rented their own jets from themselves."

Hamilton reportedly used companies in the British Virgin Islands (BVI), the Isle of Man, and Guernsey in order to get £3.3 million in VAT returned to him when he imported his red Bombardier aircraft from Canada in 2013.

He also appears to have avoided paying tax on €1.7 million (£1.5 million) motorhome he purchased by setting up a company in the Isle of Man, and "channels his earnings through tax haven companies in Guernsey, Malta and the BVI."

However, experts told The Guardian that the scheme appears "artificial" and is "open to challenge," with law professors adding that it was potentially "abusive" and doesn't appear to follow European law.

Further, while jet owners are entitled to reclaim VAT on the purchase and running costs of their aircraft if they use it for business purposes, VAT must be paid if they use it for holidays or private leisure."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/how-lewis ... et-2017-11
I still am not a fan of his but let's face it. No one wants to pay tax's and try to get away with it. That's all he has done.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
So I guess I'm no one then? I like paying taxes because I know what the alternative (i.e., no taxes) would be.
By sagi58
So I guess I'm no one then? I like paying taxes because I know what the alternative (i.e., no taxes) would be.

Aside from the penalty, in the end, if not for taxes, we wouldn't have social services.
We wouldn't have health care, roads cleaned, parks kept up, schools, yada yada.
For pete's sake, it's just part of our contribution to the society we belong to.
I still am not a fan of his but let's face it. No one wants to pay tax's and try to get away with it. That's all he has done.

Well not quite. In doing so he has provided the tax people with false info on the use of the plane as personal only where it was clearly intended to be used for business as well.

Also it is more than a bit ironic that Lewis who grew up living on the public purse in a council estate would choose to defraud the system that helped his family through the lean years.

Pay the taxes Lewis you have the cash!
By sagi58
Let's not forget that he's also a role model, for youngsters who look up to him.

Ah, well, even being in the limelight has its drawbacks...
Speaking of role modelling here is Lewis with his 'date' Donnatella at the fashion awards this past weekend, he skipped the FIA Awards to be there. Nice workboots which coordinate well with his Scottish tartan theme. I think Donna needs just a little more plastic work.

As a comparison at the same time in Finland Kimi stopped in with his wife Minttu the Presidential Palace for a visit. Who is doing the role modeling better I wonder?

Hamiltons 'Instagram' account has been hacked. Over five years of Hamilton selfies and pictures of his tax scam airplane are lost forever!

https://www.instagram.com/lewishamilton/?hl=en

Lewis Hamilton
lewishamilton
Verified
Follow
0 posts
5.7m followers
635 following
Lewis Hamilton Dare to be the greatest. Inspire, spread love, and live every day to the fullest. 4x Formula One World Champion. youtu.be/LSmwEiNhKuQ
No posts yet.
Probably the single biggest selfie loss of all time.
OOPs Hamilton has also got himself into a bit of a twitter gender war by publicly shaming his little nephew for wearing a pink dress. Lewis has apologized however the twitter mob isn't letting go. Bad Uncle Lewis.

Today 'Brand Lewis' is in tatters.

https://twitter.com/JustNabz/status/945375584401739776

https://www.attitude.co.uk/article/1669 ... mas-day-1/

LEWIS HAMILTON PUBLICLY SHAMES YOUNG NEPHEW FOR WEARING PINK PRINCESS DRESS ON CHRISTMAS DAY
The Formula One racer shared a video of himself confronting the small boy on Instagram.
2017-12-26
Lewis Hamilton has sparked a furious backlash after posting a video online in which he confronts his young nephew for wearing a princess costume on Christmas Day.

The four-time World Championship-winning Formula One racer was slammed by fans after being seen angrily shaming his nephew for wearing a pink princess dress the boy had asked for for Christmas.

The video shared on Hamilton's Instagram sees the Mercedes driver address the camera as he says: "I'm so sad right now - look at my nephew."

The camera then cuts to the smiling child playing by the Christmas tree, wearing a fushia pink dress and waving a wand.

As Hamilton approaches the boy, he asks hilm: "Why are you wearing a Christmas dress? Is this what you got for Christmas?"

His nephew awkwardly laughs and nods, causing Hamilton, 32, to press on, asking: "Why did you ask for a princess dress for Christmas?"

As the boy sheepishly replies "because we like them," Hamilton shouts: "Boys don't wear princess dresses!"

Hamilton's small-minded display quickly drew fierce criticism online.

Re-sharing the video, Twitter user @JustNabz wrote: "Oh dear Lewis. You’ve just opened a can of worms... The kid looks genuinely happy! Just let him enjoy his little life without having social norms imposed on him."
Now his twitter has been deleted all the way back to Suzuka 2013. He seems to be taking this pink dress thing awfully hard.
Now his twitter has been deleted all the way back to Suzuka 2013. He seems to be taking this pink dress thing awfully hard.

:headpat:

See our F1 related articles too!