FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I would be cautiously optimisitic. Hope Brawn can implement some much needed changes and do away with archaic rules. One change I would like to see is 3 consistent stewards at all races. Today with each race the stewards change & there is their own interpretation of the rule. Standard stewards = Consistent penalties for similar race incidents (be it race 1 or race 10)
I would be cautiously optimisitic. Hope Brawn can implement some much needed changes and do away with archaic rules. One change I would like to see is 3 consistent stewards at all races. Today with each race the stewards change & there is their own interpretation of the rule. Standard stewards = Consistent penalties for similar race incidents (be it race 1 or race 10)

Who'd want to travel to 21 races and be steward that many times when the personal calendar is already busy? Could be slim pickings...
FIA officials travel to all races.

There's a slight difference between an FIA pencil pusher and an ex-racing driver/legend.

Stewards don't need to be ex-drivers, they can be standard FIA personnel with a good understanding of the rules.

There's a slight difference between an FIA pencil pusher and an ex-racing driver/legend.

Stewards don't need to be ex-drivers, they can be standard FIA personnel with a good understanding of the rules.

I'm fully aware of that, however, F1 wants to be flashy and wants celebs as stewards. I'm not saying it's impossible, but my guess is that not many ex-drivers would want to commit long-term.

I'm fully aware of that, however, F1 wants to be flashy and wants celebs as stewards. I'm not saying it's impossible, but my guess is that not many ex-drivers would want to commit long-term.

I wonder how many people actually care about driver stewards, I know I don't give a damn, how many people even realize that an ex-driver is on the steward panel at all?

I wonder how many people actually care about driver stewards, I know I don't give a damn, how many people even realize that an ex-driver is on the steward panel at all?

Agreed. We need consistent stewards. Who cares whether the steward is an ex racer or not? The interpretation of rules, incidents and infractions must be the same throughout the season. If we have different stewards for different races, the interpretation will for sure be different each race.
I have to agree... consistency is more important that glamour...
Mind you, there could always be a "guest" steward at races, no? :wink:

See our F1 related articles too!