FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.

Should drivers be rewarded for their qualifying position?

Yes, but only for pole
28%
Yes, but only for the top three
33%
No
39%
By Stephen
I feel a single point could be something the FIA would consider. Historically, ie when the sport was in its infancy, the driver with the fastest lap received a single point for his efforts.
By Forza
No, I can only see this favouring the faster teams. Teams further down the grid could only gain this point to the detriment of their racing strategies, it would be bad to introduce this. Same goes for fastest lap, it works in BTCC but only because cars are more equally matched with ballast and what not.
By manmonkee
No way!!, you can't have points for pole in anything other than a one make series, In F1 it'd just be more points for the top teams
By x_laura_x
I think it would be great only due to the fact that it would make qualifying so much more interesting!

And i don't think the points would always go to the top teams, you do get some suprises in qualifying.
By Freddie
Yep, especially in Formula 1 where the final qualifying session is with race setup and race fuel
By overtaku
No way!!, you can't have points for pole in anything other than a one make series, In F1 it'd just be more points for the top teams

I agree. Its only going to encourage the smaller teams to get up front and get in the way of the stronger teams during the race.

What should happen is to stop refuelling during races as thats what ruins things. Stick the minimum amount of fuel in the car for quali and a full tank at the start of the race (obviously carrying enough fuel for race distance). It'll mean drivers are gonna be flat out in quali to get a good grid spot and will actually be forced to pass people on track instead of relying on race strategy alone as is often the case nowadays. You can still have tyre changes but this is a lot less variable than fuel stops.
By x_laura_x
^^^

'overtaku' - I love that name! Ha!
By Selcouth_Feline
If you did have a points-for-places system, there's always the danger some of the lower teams would setup a car specifically for qualifying, and not for the race itself, so that they could pick up a couple of points from qualification alone. I don't think that's a good idea (although if it was just points for the top place/top three places, this obviously wouldn't matter!) as it would probably make those cars even worse during the race proper.
By overtaku
^^^

'overtaku' - I love that name! Ha!

cheers :)
By 7UpJordan
It's a stupid idea, imagine if this idea was implemented during the days when Senna used to rack up Pole position after pole position, he would have won 10 Championships.
By Marco
It's a stupid idea, imagine if this idea was implemented during the days when Senna used to rack up Pole position after pole position, he would have won 10 Championships.

Does anyone remember the tale of Senna getting pole by throwing his car out of control on the last corner, he crashed across the line. What GP was that, i'm thinking France??
By 7UpJordan

Does anyone remember the tale of Senna getting pole by throwing his car out of control on the last corner, he crashed across the line. What GP was that, i'm thinking France??

If Schumacher was doing something like that he'd try and crash the car so that he'd end up in the middle of the road and force out the yellow flags and then get called a dirty cheating barstool by Keke Rosberg. :D
By Marco

If Schumacher was doing something like that he'd try and crash the car so that he'd end up in the middle of the road and force out the yellow flags and then get called a dirty cheating barstool by Keke Rosberg. :D

Of course Schumacher would never do that...[cough]Monaco[/cough]! ;)
By McLaren786

Of course Schumacher would never do that...[cough]Monaco[/cough]! ;)

Of course he would never do that. To think someone would accuse schmuacher for using dirty tactics.

See our F1 related articles too!