FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

:yikes:
 wrote:">Fernando Alonso ‘woke up in 1995’ after crash in testing

Fernando Alonso had no recollection of the last 20 years after waking up from his crash in pre-season testing, according to reports in Spain.

The two-time world champion suffered a concussion after his accident at the Circuit de Catalunya on February 22. He spent three nights in hospital and was ruled out of the season-opening race in Melbourne on doctors’ orders.

And Spanish daily El Pais have now asserted that Alonso woke up in hospital believing it was 1995.

When asked who he was, what his job was and his aspirations for the future, the Spaniard reportedly replied: “I'm Fernando, I drive go karts and I want to be a Formula One driver.”

Alonso, who could reportedly not recall his 2001 F1 debut with Minardi, was a 13-year-old kart racer in 1995 and attended school in his hometown Oviedo. He has since risen to the top of F1, winning two world championships with Renault and had a spell at Ferrari sandwiched between two stints at current team McLaren.

McLaren avoided commenting on the new reports, instead releasing a statement that read: “The day after the accident, we issued a press release, the chief purpose of which was urgently to correct a series of erroneous media reports to the effect that Fernando’s accident had been caused by a variety of car-related issues.

“As regards answering ongoing questions as to Fernando’s medical situation, McLaren will not and indeed should not take the lead, since his medical care is being handled by the people best equipped for that task, namely his doctors.

“So all we can say is that he is making good progress, and that we hope and expect he will soon be back to his brilliant best.

“We understand the media’s thirst for further information, but, as I say, the remaining unanswered questions will be answered by doctors, not by Formula 1 personnel.”
Scary sh!t!

Seriously!!

Just wondering, how much of what he's learnt about racing do you think has become second nature?
I mean, the cars have changed since 1995, how much of that will he recall? Will he recall any of it? :confused:
Scary sh!t!

Seriously!!

Just wondering, how much of what he's learnt about racing do you think has become second nature?
I mean, the cars have changed since 1995, how much of that will he recall? Will he recall any of it? :confused:

I'm sure that memory loss was just temporary and it's all back now.
What's going on?? Any conspiracy theories??

wrote:">Uncertainty about Alonso rolls on as F1 action begins

As the cars begin to roar in Melbourne, the uncertainty about Fernando Alonso's return to action at McLaren-Honda remain. The Spaniard tweeted a 'selfie' showing off his muscular form in the gym and promising he will be back to work "soon".

But team boss Eric Boullier on Friday morning said that whether that actually happens or not in Malaysia or beyond will be up to "FIA doctors". Indeed, the mystery about what caused Alonso's Barcelona testing crash - a car fault or a pre-existing medical condition - is just as unexplained some 20 days later. "I can't comment on that," teammate Jenson Button said in Australia.

Fascinatingly, McLaren is no longer claiming it was definitely just a "normal" accident caused by a gust of wind. "We can't say exactly what was the cause," Boullier acknowledged.

So there is a feeling of slight nervousness among Alonso's fellow drivers. Spain's El Mundo reports that some of them have even tried to contact the 33-year-old to talk about the bizarre incident. But Button got up and running in the MP4-30 on Friday morning at Albert Park, having said hours earlier "I will not get into a car unless I am 100 per cent sure it is safe."

However, he also confirmed that he had told boss Ron Dennis that Alonso's telemetry and video replay appeared "strange". "I spent hours going through the data with the engineers and talking to them about the incident," said Button. "When you are driving a formula one car at the limit you need to be sure," added the Briton.
And, here's someone else who is stumped:

wrote:">Dennis joins those who agree Alonso crash is 'a mystery'

Ron Dennis has admitted bungling the Fernando Alonso saga, finally now joining those who agree the Barcelona test crash is a "mystery". Since the Spaniard hit the wall on February 22, McLaren has claimed it was a "normal" incident and a mere concussion for the team's new star driver.

But supremo Dennis insisted in a recent press conference that Alonso was in fact not even concussed, attracting wide condemnation from fans and the media. "Putting aside the fact my medical expertise didn't know, actually, concussion was an automatic result of unconsciousness in the accident, (it) set me up as I often do, for massive amounts of criticism for being inaccurate," he said in Australia.

"This is life. I have to take it. I understand why the press beat me up. I wanted to be open and honest. I failed. But it is my objective to try to be as honest as possible in future," Dennis added. He now concedes that Alonso had to sit out Melbourne due to the 21-day waiting period after a concussion.

But, curiously, Dennis is not confirming that the 33-year-old will definitely be back in action in Malaysia -- a full five weeks after the crash. "As far as I know Fernando will be in Malaysia," he said. "I hope he does, but it is his decision, not mine."

Alonso's race engineer Andrea Stella, who has also switched from Ferrari, is in Melbourne to work on the car raced by his replacement, Kevin Magnussen. The FIA is investigating the Alonso crash saga, and the Spanish driver's manager Flavio Briatore has also called on McLaren to clarify what happened. "Whether the mystery will materialise in hard fact," Dennis said, "remains to be seen."

Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo on Thursday said he has "no concerns" about his safety amid the ongoing saga, but it is Magnussen and Jenson Button who will be actually driving the troubled MP4-30 in Melbourne. "There's no data to show that there was any issue whatsoever with the car," Button is quoted by Melbourne's Age newspaper.

:confused: Some say it's not the car, others say it's not Alonso!
Will we ever find out the truth?
Will Alonso race again?
Is this Karma?
Tune in tomorrow for more on "As The Track Turns"!!
:confused: Some say it's not the car, others say it's not Alonso!
Will we ever find out the truth?
Will Alonso race again?
Is this Karma?
Tune in tomorrow for more on "As The Track Turns"!!

i hope that Fernando back to race.
for my opinion on Malesya Gp will drive Magnussen..
the convalescence will be still for long time....
this is my opinion
i hope will can return at China Gp :wavey:
ESPNF1: "Heavy Steering"

"At the McLaren Technology Centre last week, Fernando met with his engineers and drove the simulator, to bring him up to date with the latest developments on the MP4-30 chassis and power unit," the statement said. "As part of that process he spent time with senior engineers, discussing the accident and reviewing the comprehensive data and analysis, all of which has been shared with the FIA.

"While there was nothing evident in the extensive car telemetry data, nor anything abnormal in the subsequent reconstructions and laboratory tests, Fernando recalls a sense of 'heavy' steering prior to the accident. Consequently, the team has fitted an additional sensor to the car, to increase our data capture.

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... 1QivQbY.99
Would it show up if there was a mini-power shortage?
A short circuit? Whatever you may call it? :confused:

You mean a brain fart? Probably not :wink:
Would it show up if there was a mini-power shortage?
A short circuit? Whatever you may call it? :confused:

You mean a brain fart? Probably not :wink:

That's a pretty technical term, eh? :P
Heavy steering could be caused by an under-inflated tyre - hell, even rubber in the wrong place could obstruct parts of the suspension.

I suspect McLaren will get to the bottom of it. We were given an exclusive on what caused Heikki Kovalainen's crash at Barcelona a couple of years back. At that time we were blown away by the scale of the investigation:

http://www.forumula1.com/news/exclusive ... the-truth/

See our F1 related articles too!