FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By sagi58
Personally, I appreciate that "one" WDC doesn't make a driver a legend; but, just making it
to F1 means that a driver is at the top of his game, even if he's not "La crème de la crème"!
Still, I'd be willing to bet that any driver on the grid would gladly win "just" one campaign.
Personally, I appreciate that "one" WDC doesn't make a driver a legend; but, just making it
to F1 means that a driver is at the top of his game, even if he's not "La crème de la crème"!
Still, I'd be willing to bet that any driver on the grid would gladly win "just" one campaign.

Tell Alonso that you want to take away 1 of his 2 WDCs and watch his reaction.

Tell Alonso that you want to take away 1 of his 2 WDCs and watch his reaction.

Nah, we'll take one from Lewis, it's not like he won't be able to replace it as he wins the next five seasons* in F1 before retiring!

* according to some predictions...
Why don't we take 1 away from JB.... and make things right.

Which was a joke....don't ban me, JB rocks my socks off.
What I actually meant when this conversation began was that those with a Huge talent AND Fire and passion are generally the ones that rise above the rest, including the rest of the world champions. They get an edge accessed from internal strength driven from their passion and emotion , Ayrton had it and he called it 'being in the zone' and the power of it frightened him. How many world champions are there that no one ever remembers? Yet who forgets Gilles Villeneuve and Sir Stirling Moss?
Lewis has it in bucket loads, it's what contributes to his edge and also to his huge disappointment with himself when he comes up short ( called moody by many) . It's a double edged sword.
So to me, being called even- tempered would suggest that magic ingredient, that passion, that drive , whatever you want to call it, is lacking. If it was intended as a compliment to Jenson, to me it's a strange quality to compliment in a racing driver.
I've probably still not explained myself very well, but hey ho.
What I actually meant when this conversation began was that those with a Huge talent AND Fire and passion are generally the ones that rise above the rest, including the rest of the world champions. They get an edge accessed from internal strength driven from their passion and emotion , Ayrton had it and he called it 'being in the zone' and the power of it frightened him. How many world champions are there that no one ever remembers? Yet who forgets Gilles Villeneuve and Sir Stirling Moss?
Lewis has it in bucket loads, it's what contributes to his edge and also to his huge disappointment with himself when he comes up short ( called moody by many) . It's a double edged sword.
So to me, being called even- tempered would suggest that magic ingredient, that passion, that drive , whatever you want to call it, is lacking. If it was intended as a compliment to Jenson, to me it's a strange quality to compliment in a racing driver.
I've probably still not explained myself very well, but hey ho.

Your explanation was pretty damn spot on to me.
By sagi58
The "problem" with talent, passion, fire, drive, zones, etc is that they are all qualitative and subjectively assessed, for lack of a better word. Emotions aren't always easy to gauge, as some people aren't overly demonstrative.

On the other hand, a WDC is a demonstrative and quantitative measure of a driver and what he's capable of, in the right car.

All you need to do is invoke Michael Schumacher and describe him as being driven, passionate, shrewd, etc and watch the ensuing arguments/discussions to prove that.
Easy tempered means sitting around getting dicked around by Ron and waiting tamely for his fate. Who thinks Aloneo, Alewis or Senna would be so 'even tempered'
I think McLaren mean even tempered as in compliant.
As far as being happy with one title, no proper ambitious racer would ever ever be satisfied with one, or two, or three if they could still drive and others had more. It's a ridiculous thing to say that one title is making it to the top, right now arguably 4- 8 titles would be the top depending on circumstances. Lewis could win 3 with 3 different teams and would be at a higher top than Seb on 4 xfactor titles, non of them on the grid would be happy with what they have so far

Except Jenson
I don't recall Jenson ever saying he was happy with one title, he has said on numerous occasions that he races to win, which is indicative of wanting to add to his single title. McLaren's relative lack of performance over the past four seasons has been a major stumbling block, including for Lewis for two of those years. If JB was in a Red Bull for those years, he could have been a four or five time WDC by now. How many titles a driver wins depends on a number of factors, not just ultimate speed, I don't care how fast a driver is if they are stuck in a dog of a car, WDC's will not come his way.
By sagi58
...How many titles a driver wins depends on a number of factors, not just ultimate speed, I don't care how fast a driver is if they are stuck in a dog of a car, WDC's will not come his way.

:clap: Agreed 100%!!
It's nothing to do with how many titles they win. I tried to explain that but I guess I didnt.
By sagi58
You're right, it's not. It's to do with perceptions and the subjective interpretations of them.
It also helps when they can routinely drive circles around their teammate. Sort of like Kimi v. Alonso last year. Lot's and lots of interesting driver pairings this year. To Jenson's credit he's not shied away from a fight. The same can't be said for Ferrari's pairing.
It's nothing to do with how many titles they win. I tried to explain that but I guess I didnt.

No, I understand what you wrote, I wasn't replying to what you wrote, I was replying to Cookin'

See our F1 related articles too!