FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By racechick
That is a sad interview. Kubica was always the one Lewis saw as his main challenge for the future. Not Vettel, not Rosberg, not Alonso ( though I'm not sure how much they competed against each other pre F1) but Kubica. He had a huge respect for the talent of Kubica.
By myownalias
It is sad to lose one of F1's potential talents; but at the same time, he was lucky to live and be able to compete in any motorsport after the horrific accident.
By CookinFlat6
Yes, now he can look back and be wistful but at after the accident he would agree that he was lucky to have survived. The way his car engaged the railing was horrific just because he was stuck and it was close.

So I just think of how lucky he was and how brave to get back to racing - I never think its sad, just impressed that he tried so hard to return. I guess for him tho, the hope of returning to F1 delayed this recent sadness and pessimism from him. But I dont spend even a second feeling sad for him
By What's Burning?
I cannot look at his career with sadness. He's alive, he's racing he's an F1 race winner with a few seasons under his belt. life moves on and I'm sure he's not waking up every morning with what regrets or thoughts of what ifs.
By sagi58
It is sad because his dream of being F1 WDC will nevercbe c realised.

Though this is true, there are hundreds of drivers who dream of winning that title, who never do.
Kubica realized his dream of winning in F1... how many of us can say our dream came true?
By LRW
I wasn't commenting that it was sad he can never drive in F1 again, but rather how he was coming across as so forlorn and ever so slightly broken in spirit.
By Jabberwocky
As LRW said.

His dream has been smashed that he probably had since he was 7 or 8 years old
By Hammer278
Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.

I had a dream to be F1 wdc since 12y old but the closest I got is driving in friendly go kart competitions. Kubica still has (had) a way better life than mine. :blush:
By sagi58
I wasn't commenting that it was sad he can never drive in F1 again, but rather how he was coming across as so forlorn and ever so slightly broken in spirit.

True!! But, the man has been an inspiration (at least, to me)!!
That's more than a lot of us can ever dream of doing.
By LiamCatterson
I loved Kubica's talent and always imagined him as possibly 2012 World Champion. He was an excellent driver and thought he was something amazing. It is a shame such talent can be wasted.
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
Ex-Formula One driver Robert Kubica claimed a podium finish on his Renault Sport Trophy debut at Spa-Francorchamps at the weekend.

The former BMW and Renault F1 driver took third place in Saturday's endurance race alongside Christophe Hamon in Duqueine Engineering's Renault R.S.01, before finishing fourth in the Pro sprint race on Sunday.

A late charge in the final 17 laps of Saturday's race at Spa - the same track at which Kubica claimed his final F1 podium in 2010 - saw the Pole rise from sixth to take the chequered flag in third, six seconds adrift of race winners Raoul Owens and Frederik Blomstedt.

Having run as-high-as third in Sunday's sprint, Kubica eventually dropped to fourth when former Lotus F1 test driver Kevin Korjus completed a successful pass at Les Combes.

Kubica had his five-year F1 career cut short following a rally crash ahead of the 2011 season, in which he sustained severe injuries to his right forearm.

After a lengthy period of rehabilitation, the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix winner returned to motorsport in the World Rally Championship in 2013. The Renault Sport Trophy event was Kubica's latest circuit racing appearance, following the 12 Hours of Mugello in March.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/176 ... ophy-debut

See our F1 related articles too!