FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By What's Burning?
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'm old, I know. When I grew up, I saw my father fix things out of necessity. I guess in a way that's why I leaned to "fix" things. But I also get enjoyment out of it, I like the fact that something that would have been thrown away or have caused an undue expense is given a new lease on life. In the last couple of weeks, I've called to have the oven looked at and now the dryer looked at. Both appliances crapped out, and both times a service man's opinion after doing the troubleshooting was... it's not worth repairing, or the part is no longer available and here's a 10% discount towards the purchase of a replacement. I know their primary function once it becomes more than a half hour trip is to get the person to buy a new one. But my desire to fix things is also a process of trying to be "green" and good towards the environment.

We've absolutely become a disposable society. In both cases, the oven quote to fix was $500 dollars, $295 for the new circuit board and 200 to install it. Similar thing for the dryer... yeap, it's a problem with the heating element, and that part is no longer kept in stock because the machine is too old you're better off just getting a new one. Let's not forget the 10% discount!

So for the oven, I took the electronic console apart, saw that the relay that controlled power had developed a cold solder joint and it took me half hour start to finish to repair it and put it back together. The dryer? Well guess what, they don't stock the part but there are companies out on the internet that make it their business to stock old appliance parts. So $235 dollars later, I have the element with the thermistor and temperature sensor and it's fixed. Not having to spend $800 bucks on a new dryer.

So yeah there's the aspect that what could have been a $2000 dollar expense to replace both an oven and a dryer turned into a $250 dollar expense to repair both items. There's also the little something something you get from having the wife think you're all that. But there's also the aspect of not throwing an oven and a dryer into a land fill and potentially having these appliances for twice the life they lived before the died. Something is very wrong in the western "consumer" mindset.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.
By Jabberwocky
I had some de ja vu reading that.

The suspense of will it work/won't it work when you switch it on always gets me.

Sent using NCC-1701
By CookinFlat6
Great post, i think you illustrted the tip of a whole big white elephant that no one wants to look at - namely that we have all bought into this scheme of disposing instead of repairing or recyling which lets face it, is the natural way. As one gets older and wiser I guess we see through it, the whole culture of desire for materialistic things, and then when thats not enough for the capitalists, we have to also constantly crave the latest edition or we feel inadequate

Its like a war, a whole army forcing those with disposable income to expend it on stuff - now i am not saying 'stuff' doesnt make life easier - but a nice cotton shirt thats 1 year old is adequate, why do most people feel the need to buy another one - just the same except a couple of details that makes it 'trendy' to 'those that can know' so we throw the adequate one away and spend money on a new one - its a joke really, the army are led by the marketing and advertising mob - they are like the paratroopers of the army

Take cars, you could have a car that is totally relaible and about 95% of the performance of another car that costs 20 times as much - because its new and has a brand? Apart from hairdressers etc, after a week the reason you paid the premium really has faded

The other side of the coin is that anyone can go out and buy a car that works and does its job - provided you with independence and mobility - for a fraction of the actual costs of the components that made the car. - thats amazing - for the price of a nice meal for a few friends you could byuy a car you could drive round the world, that offers you a utility that would cost nmany many more times if it wasnt for the culture of disposing of things

At the end of the day, we are happiest and gain the most from things we experience and things we felt, not things we have, so whatever, ill stop rambling now :thumbup:
By sagi58
Let's not forget cell phones... do we "really" need a new one, just because?
Do we "need" to be connected 24/7? Do we "need" to be within reach at all times?
Is it necessary to check work email when you get home, just in case...?

p.s. if we feel so strongly about keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to
material goods, shouldn't we as employees accept that we are not indispensible??
By Jabberwocky
How many of us have at least half a dozen old mobile phones hidden in our houses somewhere.

WB might be the exception to this rule lol

Sent using NCC-1701
By Hammer278
Count me in on that Jabbo, I've owned at most about 5 phones in my life till today.

How about letting one sorry a$$ pic summarize this topic.

How many of these people you wonder, actually need a new phone?
WB has even upcycled a VW Beetle in his time. Lol

Hey now! :gonnagetit:

WB's front yard

Pretty Image coming from a minivan driver. :whip:
By darwin dali
WB has even upcycled a VW Beetle in his time. Lol

Hey now! :gonnagetit:

WB's front yard

Pretty Image coming from a minivan driver. :whip:

Remember? I quit my job - no mo minivan :P

See our F1 related articles too!