FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Roth
Public statements of support are always a good thing.

Mag's starting to get a reputation which is worrying, and could be effecting the stewards. He's finding that line of what's acceptable by pushing it to the limit which is great to see, but it's hard with inconsistent stewarding. Spa was rightly awarded, with some tough but fair fights surrounding that incident. It was a borderline case this weekend which should be given the benefit of the doubt, considering they're trying to promote racing and overtaking. Even Bottas was fair-minded about the incident.
Doesn't take too much reading between the lines here to get the fact they think he's a keeper.

ESPNF1 McLaren has told Kevin Magnussen not to alter his approach to racing despite getting two penalties at the last two races.

Magnussen was given a 20-second penalty at Spa-Francorchamps for driving Fernando Alonso off the road and a five-second penalty at Monza for forcing Valtteri Bottas wide at Turn 1. Racing director Eric Boullier thinks the latest penalty was a bit harsh and is comfortable with his driver's approach.

"I think the Spa penalty was deserved to be honest, but I believe, obviously, not the one in Monza," he said. "He was unfortunate to be penalised, but we believe it was just a normal move and a legitimate defence.

"I don't think he will have to change his approach. I think Spa was a one off and Monza, for us, was unfortunate, let's say. I think he needs to keep building up his confidence by doing what he is doing."

Boullier believes Magnussen has been outperforming the McLaren at recent races.

"It is clear that he is stepping up. He is maybe punching above his weight because he doesn't have the car to be fast enough to chase the better results. But he is trying his best, and it is good for him, good for the fans and good for the show to see this young kid, this young rookie, fighting with the big boys. His self-confidence is massively growing and it is good for his race craft, which is only going to get better and better."

Yeah I'd definitely put money on Maggy staying in McLaren for 2015.
Yeah I would think Mags is safe for 2015, McLaren have stood firm by him even with the penalties he has received in the last 2 races.
I don't think Ron gets disturbed in that way. He gets disturbed by fast exciting drivers.
I don't think Ron gets disturbed in that way. He gets disturbed by fast exciting drivers.

I'm sure you're right... I just couldn't resist! :blush:
Well done Mags, 11th to 5th, not bad at all. Finally, a clean race.

Nice feature on Kevin on the BBC's qualifying coverage too.
I think I shared this vid a long time ago....but only just realized it was Magnussen Snr in this Vette! You can see where Junior gets his fire from, one of the best battles I've seen in any racing series. Until the goddamn Porsche screws it all up at the line with a d!ckhead move.

[youtube]brNtbaMadX4[/youtube]
Ian Parkes wrote:">Kevin Magnussen set to replace Pastor Maldonado at Renault F1 team

Kevin Magnussen is set to replace Pastor Maldonado at Renault's new Formula 1 works team for the 2016 season, Autosport has learned.

Sources have confirmed Magnussen is poised to sign a deal over the next few days, before being officially confirmed at Renault's launch in Paris next Wednesday.

Autosport understands the move follows a disagreement between the French car manufacturer and Maldonado's long-time sponsor PDVSA, Venezuela's state-owned oil and gas company, that has led to the contract being dissolved.

It is believed a very small window of opportunity still exists for the two parties to return to the negotiating table, sign a new deal, and for Maldonado to retain his seat.

But with such a move highly unlikely, Renault has turned to Magnussen.

The 23-year-old is now on the brink of returning to F1 four months after being informed by McLaren, on his birthday, he was no longer required as reserve driver.

Maldonado will almost certainly end up out of F1 after five seasons, three with Williams and then two with the Lotus team that Renault has acquired...

The writing was on the wall for Pastor when Renault took over ownership of Lotus, they French car maker doesn't need the money and when there were problems with Pastor's funding, the exit was always looming and personally I am very happy, Maldonado's exit has been long overdue... I just hope that Manor don't give him a "pay" seat.

I'm interested to see how Magnussen gets on at Renault, for me he didn't impress me very much at McLaren, maybe a change in managerial style will help him.
 wrote:">Magnussen set to split with manager

Kevin Magnussen and his long-time manager Dorte Riis Madsen are set to split, according to the Danish newspaper BT.

The report said it was the young Danish driver, and not his female manager Madsen, who negotiated with Renault and other teams and secured his return to F1 for 2016.

It is believed Magnussen, 23, was also supported in the deal by the Danish billionaire Anders Holch Povlsen, whose Jack and Jones fashion label is a new sponsor of the Renault works team for this year.

BT claims: "Several independent sources in and around Danish motor sport say, without wanting to be quoted, that the conflict between Kevin Magnussen and Dorte Riis Madsen is to the point that only the contract is now binding them together."

Magnussen and Madsen, who have worked together since the driver's early teenage years, did not comment, but the manager was not present at Renault's recent Paris launch.

(GMM)

See our F1 related articles too!