FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

I think Max could do a with a Verslappen after that.

his mum could probably vouch for the fact that his dad is the very best person to administer said slappen
By NHcheese
I wonder what Torro Rosso are thinking right now?
I would imagine if I was Max I would be feeling pretty invincible. So he might be taking the odd chance that he would not normally be doing.

Sent using NCC-1701
I hope the kid does well, but it's crap comments like this that drives me crazy.
ESPNF1 Red Bull motorsport director Helmut Marko thinks new Toro Rosso signing Max Verstappen's raw talent is comparable to the late Ayrton Senna.

Verstappen will become F1's youngest driver by nearly two years when he drives for Toro Rosso next season aged 17. The teen prodigy recently compared himself Fernando Alonso, considered by many to be the most complete driver of the current grid.

But Marko - who played a key role in bringing Verstappen into the outfit's young driver programme - has gone one step further than that, saying he believes Verstappen is more like Senna - widely regarded as the greatest driver in the history of the sport.

"Most likely Ayrton Senna," Marko told the official F1 website when asked to compare Verstappen to another driver. "And in such a case you must not look at his age. He has been talking with people who are experts when it comes to the development of youngsters and they all say that [in terms of] his mind he is more like 22 than 16.

"And regarding his skills behind the steering wheel, he has been racing since he was four years old - professionally. So we expect him to be competitive from the first race. We are not playing the lottery - we know what we are doing. And success proves us right."

Marko also believes Verstappen is "an exceptional talent that comes along only once in decades".

"Mentally he is past 20 years old. And yes, we work with him intensively. He will do some Friday runs. Not long ago he did a 400 km test in Italy, he's in the simulator whenever possible and he's working on his physique and psychology with top experts. Yes, some things became visible that we will have to address for the 2015 season. Having said that, he is getting the perfect 'schooling' before he gets on the grid."
"And regarding his skills behind the steering wheel, he has been racing since he was four years old - professionally. So we expect him to be competitive from the first race. We are not playing the lottery - we know what we are doing. And success proves us right."

What a load of :bs: racing in competitions at 4? complete crap, maybe playing around but what karting series allows 4 year olds to race in competitions??
He competed in his first mini juniors when he was 8, (the age for licence) then moved up to Rotax proper a year after - maybe he was racing his father at the age of 4 in the living room but it wouldnt have been 'professionally' on any legal series - many circuits wouldnt even let a 4 year old on a karting experience day with older drivers

Typical Red bull sh!t
You need to improve your reading comprehension. It stands to reason that if his mental age is more like 22 than 16. Then his mental age at 4 would have been 10. Plenty old for a Karting license. :D
By racechick
He hasn't got his dad's looks has he? I mean he isn't the easiest on the eye. Not as bad as Maldonado. But in Maldonado's favour he has ' the bad boy ' image. Whereas max thus far looks like a baby.
Sorry, how trivial of me!!
You need to improve your reading comprehension. It stands to reason that if his mental age is more like 22 than 16. Then his mental age at 4 would have been 10. Plenty old for a Karting license. :D

Yeah, its always been my comprehension lol, I should have guessed Jan would have bullied the authorities into a special dispensation in view of his intteligence over riding safety and regulations - allowing him to earn a living (professionally) as a racing driver from age 4 :hehe:
By Hammer278
He hasn't got his dad's looks has he? I mean he isn't the easiest on the eye. Not as bad as Maldonado. But in Maldonado's favour he has ' the bad boy ' image. Whereas max thus far looks like a baby.
Sorry, how trivial of me!!

No worries I think the exact same thing. I always thought Verstappen got the moniker "Jos the Boss" because of his 'hugo boss' model looks since nothing he did on track looked Boss to me, but MAN his son looks adopted.

How trivial of me. :blush:

See our F1 related articles too!