FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Denthúl
I predict that: STR will build a bad car for the next two or three years, both Kvyat and his team-mate (presumably JEV) will only score a small number of points each and then be dropped for two more drivers, even though their performances were all right in relation to the machinery. Bonus points if they're sacked by SMS, à la Bourdais.

Seriously though, Kvyat does have potential, but I don't think the jump from GP3 to F1 is the right move here. Even Gutiérrez has had a tough season, and he's a former GP3 champion and GP2 title contender in his second season. Kvyat would probably be better off doing a year or two in GP2 or FR3.5. If it was down to me, I'd have given the drive to da Costa, paired him with JEV and then replaced JEV for 2015 if he wasn't performing.
By Jabberwocky
Maybe red bull would have an issue with Costa being written on a car

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
By What's Burning?
ARE WE SURE IT'S NOT TORRO ROSO?????????????

Yes.
By sagi58
Looking back at some predictions:

, Peter Windsor wrote:">Toro Rosso - Vergne vs Kvyat

[youtube]lJ2y89GnlRQ[/youtube]

Published on Mar 10, 2014

Peter Windsor and Rob Wilson take a look at Toro Rosso'd pairing of Jean-Eric Vergen and GP3 graduate Daniil Kvyat.
By sagi58
It was reported that Red Bull "might" have been involved in illegal testing.

wrote:">The RBR "undercover" test: did it happen or not?

Turns out that it was Renault and that the testing wasn't illegal.

, Jonathan Noble and Dieter Rencken wrote:">Renault baffled by 'illegal' indoor Toro Rosso F1 test stories

Renault is baffled as to why it is at the centre of claims it was involved in an illegal Formula 1 indoor engine test with Toro Rosso earlier this year.

The French car manufacturer has been accused of having potentially broken F1's testing restrictions by running a full-size car on a rolling road with windtunnel capabilities at the Austrian AVL facility.

However, it has emerged that the six-day test was not as sophisticated as had been originally suggested - and instead took place on a normal engine dyno facility, as is allowed.

When asked by AUTOSPORT about the background to the reports this week, Renault's head of track operations Remi Taffin made it clear that the dyno test - which did not involve a rolling road - took place only because its facilities at its Viry-Chatillon base were already at maximum capacity.

"As far as we were concerned, it was to support Toro Rosso and try to get one more way to close the [performance] gap that we had at that point," he explained.

"Any dynos that would be available we could use - so we took the opportunity. It was just trying to get more dynos than what we had in Viry."

Interest in the dyno test surfaced this week when an anonymous letter was sent to the FIA, Ferrari and Mercedes suggesting that Renault and Toro Rosso had broken the regulations in conducting the dyno test.

The letter, a copy of which has been seen by AUTOSPORT, said: "I believe these extra test sessions gave Renault Sport and this particular team an unfair advantage over the other competitors.

"It is also my understanding that such practice is illegal and against the various articles of the 2014 sporting regulation published by the FIA and I am informing you in the interest of F1 fairness and safety."

Rival teams do not believe there has been any unfair play though, although the FIA is still looking into the details of the situation to ensure that the rules have been followed.

An FIA spokesman said: "We are still investigating and when we will have all the details we will produce our answer."

The letter suggested that test driver Antonio Felix da Costa was sitting in the car at the time, and that there has a car fire, but both suggestions are believed to be incorrect.

Taffin added: "There was no fire. We had some incident on our engine, but it is nothing like the fire as you describe."

When asked why the matter had come up this week with an anonymous letter, Taffin said: "You have to ask the guys who sent the letter, because I don't know.

"At Renault we don't have a publication with all the dyno testing that we do every single week, so as it was part of our programme there was no point doing anything on this."

By Hammer278
Vergne is a journeyman, apart from ONE race in Singapore I can't remember his existence in any race.
The Toro Rosso team showed how much more thirsty the Renault engines are compared to the Mercs.
What did i miss?

Both their drivers plummeted like a stone down the grid once the race got under way. They were giving Daniil critical fuel warning messages on lap 20 or so!
Geez, kids nowadays, you'd think daddy would be able to buy him his own team. :hehe:
GPUpdate Carlos Sainz Jr. says he deserves to be given the vacant seat at Toro Rosso for the 2015 campaign, after claiming this year's Formula Renault 3.5 title.

The Spaniard, 20, became the youngest driver – and the first Red Bull talent – to win the FR3.5 crown, notching up a record-breaking seven victories.

He is vying to join Max Verstappen, who was due to partner Daniil Kvyat until the Russian's call-up to replace the departing Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull.

"I think I deserve a seat at Toro Rosso, and anything other than a seat at that level [Formula 1] would bother me a bit," Sainz Jr. told Gestiona Radio.

Having initially been overlooked in favour of Verstappen, Sainz Jr. suggested that he is more worthy of an opportunity than the 17-year-old, who finished third in FIA European Formula 3 this season.

"Max finished third in the championship, which was won by another rookie," said Sainz Jr.

"I was in a category above. I was the youngest in history to win it, with record wins and fastest laps, and it bothers me the fact that I am not yet confirmed.

"If Verstappen deserves that seat, then I deserve it even more."

See our F1 related articles too!