FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
By gdh
Those of you going or having been where do you prefer to sit and what hotel do you stay in? We're planning on flying in Friday.
By operaman
Those of you going or having been where do you prefer to sit and what hotel do you stay in? We're planning on flying in Friday.

My gf and I went in 2011 and we had a fantastic time. She made all the arrangements (she is a logistical genius), I'll see if I can get the details (hotel, restaurants) for you. I live just north of you, and highly recommend flying Porter. She was flying from Chicago and they were most helpful in co-ordinating our flights, so we could travel together.

We had tickets at the hairpin, which I found to be great for photography with only a 200mm lens. My gf had been several times before, and she did say she preferred a different location. I'll check with her for you. One piece of advice ..... pack prepared for any meteorological possibility. In 2011 Friday was blazing hot, Sunday we almost froze to death in one of the worst downpours I have ever experienced! At least it didn't snow.

Aside from the race, Montreal is a fantastic city. There is a lot to do, and on F1 weekend the action never stops
By Alex
When I went in 2012 I sat in grandstand 33 and stayed at the Candlewood Suites. It was much cheaper to stay there for 7 nights than 3 or 4 nights, but I think they may have plugged that loophole now, for the Grand Prix week.

33 was fine for my first trip, but I'm upgrading to a seat in one of the hospitality suites this year for extra comfort and protection from the weather. I've not been able to find any feedback or reviews for that so I trawled YouTube for videos of the on-track action from various places, and I think that's the best way to get a real feel for the view from each stand. Some people even give info on their seat numbers.
By What's Burning?
I've gone a couple of times now. Have only done it on the cheap. The hairpin is the only place to be IMO. Silver Grand Stand 22 is a very good view and is the cheapest in that area. You can go for for 34, 15 and 24. All better view in my opinion but you will spend 50% more on the grand stand ticket.

For hotel, I went bare bones. If you don't mind a college dorm type of environment check out the Montreal University hotel. I's basically empty dorms and it's run by college for the summer months. It's also very close to the Metro which made it easy to get around. You get a bed, electricity, a small fridge and a sink in your room. That's it, there's WiFi available in the lobby and you pay a few dollars extra for Ethernet in your room. Sounds spartan, but you can't beat the 55 bucks a night and they even have GP packages for the entire weekend that include continental breakfast.
By operaman
I've gone a couple of times now. Have only done it on the cheap. The hairpin is the only place to be IMO. Silver Grand Stand 22 is a very good view and is the cheapest in that area. You can go for for 34, 15 and 24. All better view in my opinion but you will spend 50% more on the grand stand ticket.

For hotel, I went bare bones. If you don't mind a college dorm type of environment check out the Montreal University hotel. I's basically empty dorms and it's run by college for the summer months. It's also very close to the Metro which made it easy to get around. You get a bed, electricity, a small fridge and a sink in your room. That's it, there's WiFi available in the lobby and you pay a few dollars extra for Ethernet in your room. Sounds spartan, but you can't beat the 55 bucks a night and they even have GP packages for the entire weekend that include continental breakfast.

That ^ is actually a great idea. Never done it in Montreal, but it is a common practise at universities in many Canadian cities. Even a bare bones hotel will cost 3x that .. at least.
By operaman
Talked to the gf, it was the "Senna Esses" she preferred. She liked the cars going fast past her, not aiming right for her. At the hairpin we had to sit up fairly high, due to her fear of flying debris. Hey I'm just happy to have a gf who loves F1 as much as me. :)
By gdh
I agree with you as in the last few years my wife has really gotten into F1 as has our son. We are counting the days to the start of the racing season.

See our F1 related articles too!