FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By What's Burning?
Nope. Part of the resentment with Pirelli is having to pay for tires that cost you the race. Great value the way some teams see it. :rolleyes:
By sagi58
Nope. Part of the resentment with Pirelli is having to pay for tires that cost you the race. Great value the way some teams see it. :rolleyes:

So... the FIA dictates what must be made, by whom and then orders them...
...Pirelli makes them, can't test them and then dictates when they'll be used...
...the teams design and make their cars, can't test them with the actual tires...
and the expectation that computers (i.e. CFD, simulator) can guarantee a fair
and equal opportunity for the teams to be competitive??

:irked: Jeez, even if I don't know much about techno-mechanic stuff, that's sounds dumb!! :irked:
By racechick
Sauber are countering claims that their rescue package has collapsed and said the first scheduled money has arived. And the press claims are false.

But it's still a somewhat confusing report because it says the rescue package has not been voted for by the Russian government and 'the entity' is saying it cant fund a whole F1 team.

http://gp-url.com/16i3uDo
By What's Burning?
Figured I'd share these, as expected they're TG funny and pretty accurate in their assessment so far.
TOP GEAR Picking over the bones of the last ten races, one-half season of F1 racing 2013 style, it’s been hard to get excited by many teams’ performances. Predictably, only Red Bull has scored anything near straight As.

It’s always important to recognise that F1s story is written in chapters, each chapter bearing the name of a team or a driver that dominated. Vettel and Red Bull are the story right now. That’s okay; it’s a good story. But another story is why organisations with money —Ferrari and McLaren — have failed to work properly. And one more: the way the regulations are written, or appear to be, that don’t allow teams without money to have a light bulb moment and vault the established order.

And so onto Sauber, who seemed to have had one such moment last year. However subtle the engineering innovation, last year’s C31 could do more — a lot more — with its tyres than many of the big teams. It gave Sauber a lot more strategic latitude and Sergio Perez, who has never experienced anything else but Pirelli’s party mix rubber in F1, made hay. No wonder Nico Hulkenberg jumped from Force India when Checo got the call from McLaren. After all, to make an impression in the midfield these days — to make sure you get the call too — you have to gamble.

Ooops. Hulkenberg is quite possibly the real deal, or at worst has a better claim than most in the Q2 group. He could certainly have been in that McLaren alongside Button and, potentially, would be making life even harder for Jenson. Instead he moved from solid, perennial-nearly-there Force India to Sauber on the basis of the C31, which gave Perez that platform and allowed Sauber to finish ahead of Force India in last year’s constructor’s championship. Sauber is his third team (after Williams and SFI) in three years of racing.

But the C32 has been the best example yet of this technical funk that seems to have descended on F1; it’s nothing like as good as the car it replaces and so while Hulk’ has been able to score here and there, and just occasionally make Q3, it’s done nothing for his profile and he’s further away from the call than ever.

The inability of so many teams to evolve their cars in a linear fashion (and don’t forget the rules have not changed significantly since double diffusers were banned) isn’t making it easy for their commercial departments. Sauber has been largely devoid of sponsorship since it lost BMW patronage, making last year’s effort still more impressive. But there have been rumours all year that the current account was running low. Now there are rumours that the Russian-backed rescue deal is in trouble too. Let’s hope not because if any team has shown itself to have that creative spark that can bust open the established order it’s Sauber.

It deserves — F1 deserves — not to have to witness charming and talented young men like Esteban Gutierrez show the world he hasn’t really got what it takes to make the grade. Remember what we were saying yesterday about how you just know when someone has got it? Just compare Gutierrez’ first half season with Perez’.

Esteban is there because he brings the money. The team needs the money because the big multinationals are no longer queuing up to sponsor F1. And the multinationals are no longer queuing up because F1 is creating fewer and fewer great characters and writing fewer and fewer great stories.

Half term grades

Sauber: C Plus

Hulkenberg: A Minus

Gutierrez: D
By racechick
"Ooops. Hulkenberg is quite possibly the real deal, or at worst has a better claim than most in the Q2 group. He could certainly have been in that McLaren alongside Button and, potentially, would be making life even harder for Jenson. "

I think Jens would be wetting his knickers big time if he had the Hulk alongside him.
By What's Burning?
"Ooops. Hulkenberg is quite possibly the real deal, or at worst has a better claim than most in the Q2 group. He could certainly have been in that McLaren alongside Button and, potentially, would be making life even harder for Jenson. "

I think Jens would be wetting his knickers big time if he had the Hulk alongside him.

Wetting one's knickers isn't necessarily a BAD thing. It depends on the wetness. :wink:
By racechick

Wetting one's knickers isn't necessarily a BAD thing. It depends on the wetness. :wink:

Well this is very true :P
By CookinFlat6

Well this is very true :P

In my experience mildly moist is always a good sign :yes:
By Hammer278
What would Kaltenborn think if she was browsing through her team's thread. :yikes:
By Jabberwocky
Apart from these guys are idiots not a lot I would imagine

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
By racechick
What's this I read?? A possibility that Petrov will get that Sauber drive not Sirkoin ( whatever his name is) . hope so!! I like Petrov.
Any German readers out there can help with translating the gist of this?
https://twitter.com/adamcooperf1/status ... 7847314432
By LRW
What's this I read?? A possibility that Petrov will get that Sauber drive not Sirkoin ( whatever his name is) . hope so!! I like Petrov.
Any German readers out there can help with translating the gist of this?
https://twitter.com/adamcooperf1/status ... 7847314432

Care of Google Translate:

Running 2014 instead Petrov Sirotkin for Sauber?

Until now it was assumed that novice Sergey Sirotkin 2014 sits in one of the two Sauber. But now Vitaly Petrov should have knocked in Hinwil. Supposedly with a 30 million euro-sponsor in the back.

In the last three years the partners of Clean came from Mexico. From 2014, the Confederates to ally with Russia. Already in the summer multiple contracts were signed with Russian companies and institutions. It was about technology partnerships.

There are still a sponsor who will appear but only in the next year on the car. Sauber's connections to Russia regardless of who is sitting in the car next year. It does not necessarily have to be a Russian, but would be a nice gesture to the new partners.

The only fixed point in the deal with Russia had been the young rider Sergey Sirotkin, who was taken into the team. The 18-year-old from Moscow is currently running in the Renault World Series, but has no super license.

Sirotkin could yet complete a demonstration ride in a 2011 car in Sochi for Sauber, plus he reeled off one day of testing in an old Ferrari at Fiorano from, spent two days in the clean factory and appeared in Monza in clean uniforms to present themselves to the media.
Petrov wants Sirotkins Sauber cockpit

Meanwhile, the map Sirotkin no longer seems to be the Joker. Allegedly Sirotkins promoters in their payments in arrears. Previously believed to have been the Switzerland of 4.5 million euros.

Now reports the paddock radio that another Russian driver should have reported in Hinwil. A man with three years of Formula 1 experience, GP-58 inserts and 64 championship points to his credit.

Vitaly Petrov wants back in Formula 1 racing. The 29-year-old from Vyborg to have a 30 million euro serious sponsor in the back. Some talk of Gazprom. Scene experts dispute this, Gazprom invested in football, not in Formula 1 If the numbers agree, Petrov would be the more attractive option than Sirotkin for Sauber.
Sirotkin could start as reserve driver

The fact is that Petrov has hit at Sauber demonstration ride in Sochi with team boss Monisha Kaltenborn. For a meeting. Output unknown. Kaltenborn says on the topic only: "Our goal is to Sergey Sirotkin prepare for Formula 1 is what we hold But there is some flexibility in our activities with him..."

Meaning: A starting place is not guaranteed. Petrov has shown that he can finish in the points with a competitive car. In 2011 he was the Australian Grand Prix in third place even on the podium. Since Sirotkin would be a greater risk.

If you want to suggest cold Borns statement, then the following would be conceivable. Petrov gets a suitable dowry for a starting berth, and Sauber could still nominate Sirotkin as test and reserve driver. The 2014 Formula 1 would probably a year too early for him.
By racechick
Thanks LRW, didn't think of that. Hope it is Petrov!
By LRW
Thanks LRW, didn't think of that. Hope it is Petrov!

Its ok, RC - even if you had thought of it, it would of taken you 20mins to do on your iPad...

See our F1 related articles too!