FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Found a good site or want to plug your own? For regulars only.
Fernando Alonso wins Spanish Grand Prix in front of elated Tifosi!

Fernando Alonso won the Spanish Grand Prix from fifth on the grid in front of his adoring Spanish fans. The Spaniard had an amazing start, passing Kimi Raikkonen, Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton on the first lap. Alonso finally wrestled the lead away from pole-sitter Nico Rosberg on lap 13 with a DRS overtake into turn 1 and remained in the lead for the remainder of the race!

Continue Reading...
Nico Rosberg takes first Mercedes victory of the season in Monaco

Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg took a lights to flag victory on the streets of Monaco while his team mate Lewis Hamilton dropped back from second to fourth after the first safety period, dropping too far back behind team mate Rosberg allowing both Red Bulls to jump the Briton during the stops.

Continue Reading...
Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel finally wins the Canadian Grand Prix!

Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel took a lights to chequered flag victory at Le Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve, e.g. the Canadian Grand Prix, finally getting the monkey off his back after a mistake cost him victory in the crazy 4 hour Grand Prix du Canada in 2011. It was a classic drive from pole, get a good start and scamper off into the distance, dropping to second briefly before Lewis Hamilton pitted!

Continue Reading...
Mercedes reprimanded and excluded from young drivers test!

Mercedes can count themselves fortunate after being given a reprimand and ban from the young drivers test after the Silverstone weekend. The whole situation was a comedy of errors, but I personally don’t believe that Mercedes didn’t intend to gain an advantage, their actions during the test indicate that; in my mind. Using race drivers and having them wear plain black helmets while seeking ‘privacy’ stinks of trying to gain an advantage, if it was all above board and authorized, why take these steps to hide the identities of their drivers? I don’t buy the lack of security during the test days excuse, it’s not like Mercedes could not afford to get some security during those days!

Continue Reading...
Mark Webber announced his retirement from Formula 1!

Australian Mark Webber has officially announced that he is to retire from Formula 1 at the end of the season after 11 years of service. Webber will move his attentions to Porsche sportscar racing and Le Mans from 2014 onwards. Webber had options in F1 but felt it was time for a new direction!

Continue Reading...
Nico Rosberg claims his second victory of the season at Silverstone!

Nico Rosberg took victory at the British Grand Prix after team mate and initial race leader Lewis Hamilton had a tyre failure on lap 8 which dropped him to the back of the field and Sebastian Vettel had a gearbox failure on lap 41 whilst leading the race comfortably Guess it’s better to be lucky than good; actually that’s a joke I rate Rosberg very highly, but he was gifted the win today!

Continue Reading...
The Formula 1 tyre crisis: where do we go from here?

There has been many failures of tyres at multiple tracks this season, Malaysia, Bahrain and Spain but Silverstone has really brought safety concerns to the fore with six separate tyre failure over the weekend. Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso being very lucky to avoid being hit by flying rubber at 160mph after Sergio Perez’ left rear tyre delaminated suddenly on the Hangar Straight. I’m sure that Pirelli will blame the curbs or debris, but in reality the tyres have become so fragile that cutting across curbs causes damages to the sidewall of the tyre. Cutting across curbs has been commonplace for as far back as I can remember, even the rules state that two wheels must stay within the confines of the track, e.g. the white lines which means that two wheels can be over the line and on the curb.

Continue Reading...
So, it’s everyone else’s fault but Pirelli’s?

Pirelli have basically blamed the teams and curb design for the tyre failures we saw at Silverstone last weekend. The Italian tyre manufacturer has blamed the practice of swapping left and right rear tyres, low tyre pressures and adverse camber allied with the high curbs through the loop section of Silverstone. In fairness, they probably have a point, if the tyres are not being used as designed, then the teams have to take a large chunk of the blame. But then again, the FIA/Pirelli should have created a rule sooner that enforced this recommended usage, adding it to the scrutineering checks.

Continue Reading...
Sebastian Vettel finally takes home Grand Prix victory at Nurburgring

Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel took victory at the German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring after getting a great start to jump pole sitter Lewis Hamilton off the line and fighting off a late charge by Lotus’ Kimi Raikkonen, the Finn taking the chequered flag just over one second after the German.

Continue Reading...
Mercedes unhappy with not being allowed to test new tyres at YDT!

We all know the story of Mercedes’ illegal tyre test in Barcelona during May, Mercedes suggested that it should miss the young driver test at Silverstone as punishment and the independent tribunal agreed, so in my view Mercedes have made their own bed, now they need to lay in it.

Continue Reading...
You get a ticket for speeding. You know you shouldn't be speeding but you did it anyway thinking you'd get away with. You get handed a fine for speeding that says you pay 100 dollars and you agree to pay that fine. Tomorrow a kid is injured by a speeding motorist, the community is up in arms and the town decides to raise the fine for speeding to 1000 dollar. You now have to pay the new fine. It doesn't make legal sense.

The penalty has been handed down and it was a YDT, but now with the current drivers and the testing of the new compound kevlar tires being tested for safety reasons, you're no longer running a YDT. You may have your own opinion as to why you feel Mercedes broke the rules and should be forced to pay the punishment, but that opinion does not have a legal foundation other than you think Mercedes got away lightly and should have paid a higher price.

If you can give me a legally justifiable argument as to why the speeder should now be forced to pay 1000 dollars versus the original 100 dollar fine, I'd love to hear it.
You get a ticket for speeding. You know you shouldn't be speeding but you did it anyway thinking you'd get away with. You get handed a fine for speeding that says you pay 100 dollars and you agree to pay that fine. Tomorrow a kid is injured by a speeding motorist, the community is up in arms and the town decides to raise the fine for speeding to 1000 dollar. You now have to pay the new fine. It doesn't make legal sense.

The penalty has been handed down and it was a YDT, but now with the current drivers and the testing of the new compound kevlar tires being tested for safety reasons, you're no longer running a YDT. You may have your own opinion as to why you feel Mercedes broke the rules and should be forced to pay the punishment, but that opinion does not have a legal foundation other than you think Mercedes got away lightly and should have paid a higher price.

If you can give me a legally justifiable argument as to why the speeder should now be forced to pay 1000 dollars versus the original 100 dollar fine, I'd love to hear it.

Retroactive law aka Ex post facto law which are unconstitutional in the US, but not, e.g., in the UK:
a law that retroactively changes the legal consequences (or status) of actions that were committed, or relationships that existed, before the enactment of the law. In criminal law, it may criminalize actions that were legal when committed; it may aggravate a crime by bringing it into a more severe category than it was in when it was committed; it may change the punishment prescribed for a crime, as by adding new penalties or extending sentences; or it may alter the rules of evidence in order to make conviction for a crime likelier than it would have been when the deed was committed. Conversely, a form of ex post facto law commonly called an amnesty law may decriminalize certain acts or alleviate possible punishments (for example by replacing the death sentence with lifelong imprisonment) retroactively. Such laws are also known by the Latin term in mitius.

I'm sure our resident legal expert ZA will have some input...

See our F1 related articles too!