FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By LewEngBridewell
Is anyone else feeling a little dismal about Williams so far this season? 2012 was such a positive step forward for the Grove team, after far too long in the mire, and I was expecting them to continue the upward trend.

However, 2013 has been nothing short of awful for them, and as Williams are a team which I am very fond of, this is not good. :(
By 1Lemon
clearly I don't support them.

Yeah it is a shame, hopefully the new engines will support them next year.
By racechick
Williams was a team I supported, before Mclaren really. As you know I primarily support the driver and it was Damon and then Juan Pablo. I must admit I went off them a bit by the way Frank treated Damon...I think that's partly why Newey left as well. But I still have a bit of a soft spot for them and huge admiration for Frank. Nice to see Claire getting involved too! Its sad to see them strugling, I hope they turn it around but not sure they will. Toto Wolf has sold or is selling his shares, but I guess he had to with the Mercedes move.
By Hammer278
Never was a fan of the team, but I liked the Williams-Head combo during the Montoya-Ralf time. Since Head stepped down to make way for Sam Michael, the team plummeted into nothingness. Last year was a ray of hope but it seems they're down again. The good news for them is increased operating profits for 2012...even if they did make a loss in the end. I'm thinking of purchasing their stocks sometime this year...then I might become a bit of a fan. But get rid of Maldonado first. :P
By spankyham
I definitely have a soft spot for Williams, and I would really love them to become a force again in F1. Last year was a year of promise, so this year so far is really disappointing.

I always feel so bad for Patrick Head when people give Newey sole credit for all those fabulous Williams cars from the 90's and totally ignore/don't even mention Patrick. I also wonder why Newey himself never says anything to redress that.
By racechick
This is a bit 'financial' and 'accountingy'. It's about Williams being in the red because accounting changed .
http://goo.gl/fb/EdHwn
By LewEngBridewell
Never was a fan of the team, but I liked the Williams-Head combo during the Montoya-Ralf time.

Aww I LOVED the BMW Williams cars back then! :cloud9:

By Hammer278
Yeah don't forget that insane walrus nosed chassis which caused a huge stir when it was launched! Looked like a car made for Montoya, unfortunately the Ferrari was just too good that year.
By LewEngBridewell
Yeah don't forget that insane walrus nosed chassis which caused a huge stir when it was launched! Looked like a car made for Montoya, unfortunately the Ferrari was just too good that year.

Depressingly good. But the walrus nose deserves a pic too :)

By LewEngBridewell
Still bugly.

Didn't last the whole season of course, and then Montoya won with it at Interlagos! Their last win until the rise of MALDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :sickman:
By 1Lemon
It seems that in Monaco Williams are using the 2012 front end of the car, they lopped it off the old one and stuck it on Maldanado's for FP1 & 2. It worked, looking at the time sheet Maldo got himself into 5th, whilst Bottas was 17th. Their looking at putting the old wing and nose back on both cars for quali and the race.
By Jabberwocky
Maldonardo is a bit of a monaco master (as long as you discount last year)
By Hammer278
Translated from a quicker source:

Williams could be power Mercedes 2014

The Williams team could be powered by a V6 Mercedes next season. According to the German press, the end of the Williams-Renault partnership has been officially recorded. In fact, many teams would have to change the engine block in 2014.

Williams had found the Renault early 2011 and at the same time success, with Pastor Maldonado in Barcelona in May 2012 engine. But the French Renault Sport F1 engine (RSF1) seems to be more expensive, too expensive for the less competitive teams to less prestigious results. Mercedes and Ferrari blocks should be more affordable.

Other changes to

The German newspaper Auto Motor und Sport claims that Williams has reached an agreement with Mercedes, while the Swiss publication Blick goes further by stating that the contract has already been signed. In addition to Williams, RSF1 could lose another customer, the team Caterham thinking be powered by Ferrari.

Everything should change or at most engine manufacturers. Toro Rosso Ferrari happen to Renault, with its big sister Red Bull is already a customer. The Italian firm therefore would equip the Scuderia course, Sauber, maybe Caterham but Marussia, the Cosworth engine is caused to disappear.

Mercedes have three customers, Force India, Williams if the information is confirmed and McLaren for a year before returning to Honda in 2015 (the latter will propel at least one other team also). RSF1 would lose Williams and Toro Rosso Caterham but recover, in addition to retaining Lotus and Red Bull. All this of course remains to be confirmed in the coming months.

See our F1 related articles too!