FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Introduce yourself, go on, don't be shy!
By nsaqam
Hello all. I'm up here in Northern MN and right now snowmobiles and ice skates are the order of the day. 20 BELOW zero F.
I've been an F1 fan since the mid '70's. Niki Lauda in Ferrari, James Hunt, Ronnie Peterson, Rene Arnoux in the turbo Renault, and most thrilling of all Ayrton Senna in the McLaren MP4/4 turbo, and in the slow MP4/8 in the rain at Donington Park in '93. Senna, the rain master!
I still love reading Rob Walker's F1 reports in my dad's old issues of Road&Track from the mid '60's to the '90's. His reports and annual driver reviews remain unsurpassed to this day. The coverage of F1 in America is pathetic nowadays.
You folks all know here in the States most people are enamored of roundy round racing in archaic pushrod and carburetor equipped cars that weigh at least 3400 pounds(1545 kilos)! I've always despised NASCAR. It's often hard to find true F1 fans in America.
I am trying fantasy F1 for the first time this year and I've got a team on the McLaren website as well as 5 teams on the Fantasyracers website. Speaking of the Fantasyracers site, I've set up a private league on there called AllAmerican F1. I'm having no luck finding people to join this league here and I would like to invite any Americans who'd like to join this free private league to sign up. Once again the league name is AllAmerican F1 and the password is melonhead. Join up all you Yanks!
Thanks for the forum and I look forward to the F1 season.
Welcome to the site! :)

I think you're right about there not being many American F1 fans, though there's certainly one here (aside from yourself). I think the reason is that there has only ever been one GP at a time held in the US. For a country that big, one race isn't going to get much attention. In Europe, because there are many more races so close together, we tend to get a bit more interested. It'd be nice to have two GPs in the US as opposed to one (or, as it stands for 2008 at least, none). :)
Welcome to the forum nsaqam it's nice to have another american F1 fan here as we are a very small group. I agree with you concerning Rob Walker's F1 report's they were the best.

Only one week to go :D !

Gregg
By Stephen
Hi nsaqam, welcome to the site!

You folks all know here in the States most people are enamored of roundy round racing in archaic pushrod and carburetor equipped cars that weigh at least 3400 pounds(1545 kilos)!

Do they really weigh that much? And if so, please tell me that the weight is down to the regulations rather than design. :shock:
Hi nsaqam, welcome to the site!

You folks all know here in the States most people are enamored of roundy round racing in archaic pushrod and carburetor equipped cars that weigh at least 3400 pounds(1545 kilos)!

Do they really weigh that much? And if so, please tell me that the weight is down to the regulations rather than design. :shock:

Yes it's the regulation's 3400lb's minimum.
By nsaqam
Yes, the regulations say all cars must weigh 3400 lb's minimum (1545 k) These cars are pigs and most of the fans as well!
That was unkind!
I cannot believe that NASCAR is as popular as it is. Ancient tech, artificially close, no braking, no shifting, no right turns, no standing starts!
I've always been an SCCA and Vintage Racing fan and used to go to the Runoffs every year in Atlanta and Mid Ohio. Still go to Elkhart Lake for SCCA and Vintage racing. I absolutely love the old Formula Junior cars, the Lotus 25 and 49, the Lotus 11, the thundering CanAm cars, and the beautiful OSCA's, Maserati's, Cunninghams, and Ferarri's of the Targa Florio, Mille Miglia, and Carrera Panamericana days. That was racing!
Hello all. I'm up here in Northern MN and right now snowmobiles and ice skates are the order of the day. 20 BELOW zero F.
I've been an F1 fan since the mid '70's. Niki Lauda in Ferrari, James Hunt, Ronnie Peterson, Rene Arnoux in the turbo Renault, and most thrilling of all Ayrton Senna in the McLaren MP4/4 turbo, and in the slow MP4/8 in the rain at Donington Park in '93. Senna, the rain master!
I still love reading Rob Walker's F1 reports in my dad's old issues of Road&Track from the mid '60's to the '90's. His reports and annual driver reviews remain unsurpassed to this day. The coverage of F1 in America is pathetic nowadays.
You folks all know here in the States most people are enamored of roundy round racing in archaic pushrod and carburetor equipped cars that weigh at least 3400 pounds(1545 kilos)! I've always despised NASCAR. It's often hard to find true F1 fans in America.
I am trying fantasy F1 for the first time this year and I've got a team on the McLaren website as well as 5 teams on the Fantasyracers website. Speaking of the Fantasyracers site, I've set up a private league on there called AllAmerican F1. I'm having no luck finding people to join this league here and I would like to invite any Americans who'd like to join this free private league to sign up. Once again the league name is AllAmerican F1 and the password is melonhead. Join up all you Yanks!
Thanks for the forum and I look forward to the F1 season.

Welcome. It's good for the forum to get an experienced Formula One fan. It's good to see another admirer of Ayrton Senna as well. Incidentally, in this week's Autosport magazine, they named him the 'undisputed' rainmaster, citing the 1993 European Grand Prix at Donington as the moment of genius, but conceding there at least half a dozen others, but that they had to choose one for the photograph! 8) I spent a lot of money in August buying a signed Ayrton Senna ticket from the race. It cost a reasonable amount, but it's a very rare thing, and you'll only be buying it once, so it was well worth it. It now hangs framed with a photograph from the race at home.
It now hangs framed with a photograph from the race at home.

Would you be so kind as to share a pic with us? :)
It now hangs framed with a photograph from the race at home.

Would you be so kind as to share a pic with us? :)

I'm in Glasgow, Scotland at the minute. I'll be going back home for a few days on 20th, so I'll try taking a picture then with my mobile phone.

See our F1 related articles too!