FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
. I went to a metallica concert (the first and last I will ever go to) last year, with 30k people, and it took us 3.5 HOURS to get out of the parking lot...not to mention the concert was in a city about 1.5 hours away from my house. Even an inaugural F1 race isn't quite enough to overcome my uncertainty with this issue. Now imagine 100k+ people and supposedly only one or two 2-lane highways going in and out to the track......................................................

I can beat that. In 2007 it took me 10 (yes, TEN) hours to get out of a festival here in the UK, all because if poor planning. And this was 200meters from parked car to exit.

And that was only 135k people.

Wow.... :censored: that!! After hour five I'd get out and walk to the nearest bar, get drunk, sober up, and then by then everybody should be gone. :hehe: but then again, I can get drunk and sober within an hour if I plan things right :P

I can beat that. In 2007 it took me 10 (yes, TEN) hours to get out of a festival here in the UK, all because if poor planning. And this was 200meters from parked car to exit.

And that was only 135k people.

Jesus was it the festival of the indecisive?
Maybe it's time to change the name of this thread...

ESPNF1; Ticket sales for November's US Grand Prix in Austin are going so well that organisers are now considering building additional grandstands to meet demand.

"We have experienced incredible demand for reserved grandstand seating tickets, and customers have quickly purchased our available inventory," said Julie Loignon, COTA's vice president of public and community relations. "As such, we are considering installing more reserved seats between Turns 9 and 10 and between Turns 11 and 12 in place of other types of seating that had been planned for those areas.

"We will release more information about new grandstand inventory and when additional reserved seats might be available for purchase as soon as possible. We are extremely pleased with how things are going overall, since our public ticket sales began less than a week ago."
I just got an email saying they are selling more seats. The map on the email showed that turns 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, and 12 are all sold out, and that they are adding seats at turn 9 and more at turn 11.
We're ready to go racing in Texas:

The Circuit of the Americas has been declared ready to host the United States Grand Prix by Formula 1 race director Charlie Whiting.

Whiting visited the Texan circuit as part of the scheduled pre-race inspection and granted the track the Grade 1 status it needs to host the Formula 1 grand prix.

Whiting had already visited the track in June.

The circuit is scheduled to host its first race on November 18.

"Everything that I've seen so far has been absolutely first class, and the progress that's been made since the last time that I was here is amazing," Whiting said.

"The guys have done an awesome job - it really is quite fantastic! It's built to the highest quality, exactly as we expected, and I've got absolutely no complaints whatsoever."

Whiting believes the track will provide plenty of opportunities for overtaking.

"There are 3-4 corners that are very likely to see overtaking," Whiting added. "If you look at Turn 1, you'll see that the turns have been designed so that they're extremely wide and the apex is very short.

"It's a very modern approach to slow corners where we hope overtaking will take place. So I'm very confident it will work well.

"Turn 1 is awesome. It's the only word I can think of to describe it, and I think drivers and teams coming here for the first time will say the same thing."

Whiting will conduct the final inspection on November 12.
Breaking news ;)

Austin track gets an A+ from Charlie Whiting

"US GRAND PRIX
FIA gives Austin seal of approval
ESPN Staff
26 September 2012

FIA safety delegate Charlie Whiting has given the Circuit of the Americas his approval during his final track inspection before the US Grand Prix on November 18.

Whiting visited the circuit to ensure it is race-ready and came away from the visit enthused by the layout and quality of the track. After walking the 3.4-mile circuit and inspecting everything from kerbs to the crash barriers, Whiting passed the circuit with the necessary Grade 1 classification required for a Formula One race.

"Everything that I've seen so far has been absolutely first class, and the progress that's been made since the last time that I was here is amazing," Whiting said. "The guys have done an awesome job - it really is quite fantastic. It's built to the highest quality, exactly as we expected, and I've got absolutely no complaints whatsoever."

The circuit takes inspiration from several other venues with a high-speed section reminiscent of Silverstone's Maggots, Becketts and Chapel early in the lap. It also features several wide entries to corners to encourage overtaking, especially at turn one where the cars will also drive over a blind crest at the apex.

"There are three or four corners that are very likely to see overtaking," Whiting added. "If you look at Turn One, you'll see that the turns have been designed so that they're extremely wide and the apex is very short. It's a very modern approach to slow corners where we hope overtaking will take place. So I'm very confident it will work well.

"Turn One is awesome! It's the only word I can think of to describe it, and I think drivers and teams coming here for the first time will say the same thing."
For those who have attended F1 races, were handheld digital cameras that take both photos and video allowed?

There's a bit of a row going on over here about this and the Circuit of the Americas have changed their policy as a result... but they still don't allow "video cameras".

Hey F1 USGP Fans! We’re listening to your feedback and making a change to our camera policy. Detachable cameras lenses of all sizes WILL BE PERMITTED at the 2012 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX™ Nov. 16-18. Please note that individual video cameras will not be permitted on site; however, cell phones with photo and video capabilities will be allowed.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We look forward to seeing you at Circuit of The Americas this November! — with me my self and I, Michael McNulty and Tim McNulty.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/CircuitofTheAmericas

Cheers
For those who have attended F1 races, were handheld digital cameras that take both photos and video allowed?

There's a bit of a row going on over here about this and the Circuit of the Americas have changed their policy as a result... but they still don't allow "video cameras".

Hey F1 USGP Fans! We’re listening to your feedback and making a change to our camera policy. Detachable cameras lenses of all sizes WILL BE PERMITTED at the 2012 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX™ Nov. 16-18. Please note that individual video cameras will not be permitted on site; however, cell phones with photo and video capabilities will be allowed.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We look forward to seeing you at Circuit of The Americas this November! — with me my self and I, Michael McNulty and Tim McNulty.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/CircuitofTheAmericas

Cheers

I take a camera to silverstone every year, never taken a video camera though but think they are allowed!

Cheers

When I went to Turkish GP last year,we took our camera with us which took videos as well.I took videos,too and there was no problem with that.
F1.com; Lotus will have the honour of being the first F1 team to take to the new Circuit of the Americas (COTA) this weekend when the track in Austin, Texas launches ahead of November's’s 2012 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix.

American racing legend and COTA Ambassador Mario Andretti, actor Patrick Dempsey and Lotus’s third driver Jerome D’Ambrosio will all complete demonstration runs behind the wheel of the team’s 2010 F1 challenger, the R30, during the circuit’s Official Opening Ceremony on Sunday October 21.

Andretti will formally cut the ribbon to open the track by driving the opening laps of the circuit, in what will be the 1978 world champion’s first time behind the wheel of a contemporary Formula One car since he last competed in the sport in 1982.

This will be kind of cool.
F1.com; Lotus will have the honour of being the first F1 team to take to the new Circuit of the Americas (COTA) this weekend when the track in Austin, Texas launches ahead of November's’s 2012 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix.

American racing legend and COTA Ambassador Mario Andretti, actor Patrick Dempsey and Lotus’s third driver Jerome D’Ambrosio will all complete demonstration runs behind the wheel of the team’s 2010 F1 challenger, the R30, during the circuit’s Official Opening Ceremony on Sunday October 21.

Andretti will formally cut the ribbon to open the track by driving the opening laps of the circuit, in what will be the 1978 world champion’s first time behind the wheel of a contemporary Formula One car since he last competed in the sport in 1982.

This will be kind of cool.

Hopefully not Mohammed Bin Sulayem cool:
[youtube]TrVZTgj5AUk&feature=related[/youtube]

See our F1 related articles too!