FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By whitley
Does anyone remember a f1 test driver called Jack Whileblood who had a serious accident prior to the Swedish Grand Prix in 1974.Apparantly he was well known to drivers of that era and particularly Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart.Anyone have any information??
By myownalias
I had a good rummage around the Internet and I can not find any trace of the driver you mention! It's a little before my time to remember off-hand as I was born 2 years after!
By alan0493
hi jack whileblood is my wifes uncle and lives in hull he used to work with jackie stewart now retired any questions just ask
By What's Burning?
What are the chances two new posts by two new forum members that have Jack Whileblood in common. I hope you guys can continue this thread publicly... we need the entertainment now that we've got two more weeks of waiting.

:popcorn:

BTW, give yourselves a proper introduction if you plan on sticking around.
By Erice
Jack Whileblood was an engineer who drove and managed the F1 shock absorber truck for Armstrong. He did have a bad accident but it was not as a F1 test driver--as I recall it was while returning to England after a race.
I was with Firestone Racing from 1972-74 and got to know him quite well. Of course, so did everyone who ever met him! Jack never met a stranger and probably touched more people's lives with his wit, his charm and his magic personality than any other 50 people I've ever met!
He lives in Howden, not far from Hull with his wife, Kay.
By What's Burning?
Is this the Jack & Kay?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By What's Burning?
I suppose in a way he was a driver in F1.

Is that him? Where did you get the pic WB?

Internet... :D

The Tickton Grange Hotel was the venue for the Holderness Lions annual dinner.

They're shown as Kay and Jack Whileblood, so it fits the thread. The Tickton Grange hotel is in Yorkshire.
By buck382
Jack....Yes I know him well, yes lives Nr Goole, as said used to be the Armstrong suspension man to F1, Worked with most teams of the day (exc Alfa & Ferarri)
Was baldy injured in a testing crash when the F1 car went over a cliffe at either a mountain Swiss track or Sweedish.....I'll ask him as I see him quite often.
Still a great follower of F1 Oh & the stories he can tell & the photos of the day.
He was basically the F1 test driver to most teams as the did not have test drivers in those days. He sorted the suspension & set the cars up for the drivers, sort of an arrive & drive in them days.
By racechick
I had a good rummage around the Internet and I can not find any trace of the driver you mention! It's a little before my time to remember off-hand as I was born 2 years after!

You baby Myown :rofl::rofl::rofl:
By Jabberwocky
Jack....Yes I know him well, yes lives Nr Goole, as said used to be the Armstrong suspension man to F1, Worked with most teams of the day (exc Alfa & Ferarri)
Was baldy injured in a testing crash when the F1 car went over a cliffe at either a mountain Swiss track or Sweedish.....I'll ask him as I see him quite often.
Still a great follower of F1 Oh & the stories he can tell & the photos of the day.
He was basically the F1 test driver to most teams as the did not have test drivers in those days. He sorted the suspension & set the cars up for the drivers, sort of an arrive & drive in them days.

I am glad that someone has replied to this, he has almost became a myth lol I would love to hear some storied from him.
By What's Burning?
It was just a picture I turned up while dregging for info last year when we were all going at it, but I wasn't able to confirm if it is him... it could be another Jack and Kay Whileblood no way for me to know.

See our F1 related articles too!