FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By LewEngBridewell
I was having a conversation with someone on twitter about the things we miss these days in F1. Let's get misty eyed and make a list of all the things we remember fondly from days gone by...

I'll start...

* The times when the midfield was awash with colour and vibrancy - the orange of Arrows, the yellow of Jordan, the green of Jaguar and the sky blue of Bennetton...

* The beautiful forest and parkland circuits that were Imola and the A1 Ring, and also the old blasts through the forest of Hockenheim...

Come on folks, keep 'em comin! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:
By stonemonkey
^Be on edge

the old blasts through the forest of Hockenheim...

+1

Murray Walker obviously.
By scotty
Big fat rear tyres, sparks, Mansells Moustache.

I only have somewhat vague memories of the sparks, but they were pretty incredible to watch thinking about it.

I miss.... Ferrari V12's. Really varied tracks on the calendar. The days before most drivers were PR robots. Goodyear tyres. Jean Alesi. Cigarette liveries. Grass and gravel rather than car park runoff. I actually find myself missing the mental pre-09 cars sometimes now. The list goes on... and yet i still think F1 is way better to watch now!! :thumbup:
By myownalias
I vote for gravel traps; punish drivers for making mistakes instead of allowing a free pass (literally in some cases). I miss the glowing brake discs of old; they still glow but they are covered now!

By stonemonkey
Cigarette liveries.

Not many other liveries are as memorable as Marlboro, JPS, Lucky Strike, West, Camel, B&H. I barely notice what a lot of them are advertising now. I suppose the closest to that sort of thing now is red bull.
By madbrad
I miss Ayrton Senna.

I miss Manfred Winklehock leading a grand prix!
By darwin dali
WTF Lew? For many of those things that you claim you miss, you weren't even alive back when (or barely alive and pooping your pampers :hehe: ), so how can you miss what you haven't lived through? :confused:

See our F1 related articles too!