FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Marco
Read this in the papers today and was totally miffed when i did. F1 is not football, Max Mosely should concentrate on serving up the worlds fastest, and most cutting edge sport and stop arsing about making the formula cheaper and easier to enter. Can you imagine Ferrari being demoted to GP2, its a mockery, Max needs to read some history books to understand why. :roll:
By Freddie
Max is just one of the two old farts who should have retired ages ago ! :(
By Stephen
I have to agree with both of you. I'm tired of Max, and I agree he's turning our sport into a mix of football and old school F3000. F1 is unique because of the speed, the cutting edge technology, the risk, daring and innovation - well it was! :evil:

There be tough times ahead. :cry:
By simac
I also agree, F1 should always be the highest level of technology and performance. Too many changes are being made which restrict the whole F1 ethos of being cutting edge.

It would be shame full to impose a relegation rule, watching an F1 car mixing it with GP2 would be silly (although maybe interesting at the same time !) it will be getting difficult to tell them apart performance wise as it is !

How many motorsport series are there using V8 engines ? now, i'm not necessarily saying its a bad thing (remains to be seen) however - IMO using large V10 engines was a major factor which kept F1 unique from other motorsports. They should be increasing them instead, say 4.0 V12 ? :D seriously though, yes the cars have got to be very quick but isn't that the point ? and the drivers are aware of the risks they take.

F1 was always, and still should be, the testing ground for major developments of new materials, techniques and technologies. Whilst it would be good to see more teams entering it should still be an "exclusive club".

RANT OVER LMAO
By Selcouth_Feline
I also agree, F1 should always be the highest level of technology and performance. Too many changes are being made which restrict the whole F1 ethos of being cutting edge.

Have you heard the latest proposal by our friend Max? He is proposing that from 2008, teams will not be allowed to modify their engines for 3 years so that costs are cut for the smaller teams so the playing field is levelled out. Manufacturers would also have submit a fixed V8 spec so that it can be monitored and teams penalised if they tweak the engine.

He's then proposng a fuel consumption for 2011 - although I don't know quite what this will entail.

I suppose if the engines are closer in spec then it will be more focused on driver skill, however I completely agree with you Simac that F1 should be cuttng edge, and if regulataions such as the "no design tweaks for 3 years" come into force, the edge will definitely become less and less sharp.

I really hope that these 'proposals' don't come into force.
By simac
I only heard recently about restricting the quantity of fuel which can be used during a race in 2011. Apparently the engine size and configuration would not be specified, simply based on economy to get to the end.

So we will have eco friendly F1 cars with about 800 CC three cylinder engines LMAO !!
By Stephen
I only heard recently about restricting the quantity of fuel which can be used during a race in 2011. Apparently the engine size and configuration would not be specified, simply based on economy to get to the end.

So we will have eco friendly F1 cars with about 800 CC three cylinder engines LMAO !!

I suppose the sport does have a responsibility to reduce emissions etc, however, wouldn't it be better to impose a strict policy on MPG and emissions, whilst allowing the teams to do whatever they like with the cars as far as technology goes - I think this could be a way forward for F1, and with all the major car-makers involved, we could very soon see a hydrogen powered sports car....?!
By Freddie
Yeah, hydrogen-powered cars is the first real improvement which comes to my mind, too !

But F1 MUST be about performance as a top priority, otherwise it will no longer be Formula 1
By Selcouth_Feline
The FIA are going to implement standard ECUs for all teams in a bid to lower more costs. It will also help them police traction and launch control better.

Although I don't think specific details are available (unless anyone here wants to bid for the contract?! :) ) the FIA have said that the ECU must be able to handle an "energy recovery system" although I don't know quite what that means!!

Max Moseley has also showed an interest in hybrid technologies - such as regenerative braking - for F1 integration. So you never know....hydrogen or LPG F1 cars could become a reality :shock:

See our F1 related articles too!