FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.

Best Finnish Driver

Leo Kinnunen
No votes
0%
Keijo Rosberg
8%
Jyrki Jarvilehto
No votes
0%
Mika Hakkinen
76%
Mika Salo
4%
Kimi Raikkonen
12%
Nico Rosberg
No votes
0%
Heikki Kovalainen
No votes
0%
By bud
on Nico i remember in an interview him saying he didnt even know how to speak Finnish. Mums German and he was born and raised in Germany so thats why he hails as a German.
By piledriver
I think he's the most talented Finnish F1 driver. But I also liked Keke Rosberg very much. He was was a real F1-entertainer imo. I also liked Mika Hakkinen because of his loyalty to McLaren in good times and in bad times.
By McLaren Fan
For me Hakkinen is the best Finnish driver. He was brilliantly fast, exciting to watch, kept his cool under pressure, was loyal to McLaren and helped build up the team, and was a good test driver as well. I also loved his what can only be called Mika moments, for instance: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4-NVm-AtI1M Just brilliant.

Raikkonen has the potential to be the greatest Finnish driver, but he needs to improve his ability at, or, rather, put more effort into testing the car, and keeping up the hard work all season.

Keke Rosberg was exciting to watch, very similar to Mansell, I always thought. In terms of raw ability, I'm not sure that he can be compared to Hakkinen or Raikkonen, however.
By texasmr2
Raikkonen has the potential to be the greatest Finnish driver, but he needs to improve his ability at, or, rather, put more effort into testing the car, and keeping up the hard work all season.

+100 :wink:
Old thread revival of the day :thumbup:

I find this to be quite a difficult one. I'm stuck between Kimi Raikkonen and Mika Hakkinen.

They were both excellent racers, brilliant to watch, and both claimed world championships, although Hakkinen edges out Raikkonen 2 to 1.

I do feel that Hakkinen was just a bit more constructive in terms of building up and working for the team. Raikkonen was bloody fast, but his interests and drive were always liable to wane and we saw how he trailed off in form before leaving F1. Infact Hakkinen also seemed to fall a little back in '01.

My goodness it's a toughy! What does everyone else think? :whip:
By scotty
Hakkinen, although Raikkonen is more naturally talented.

Although the best Finnish driver ever period is Juha Kankunnen.
Hakkinen, although Raikkonen is more naturally talented.

Although the best Finnish driver ever period is Juha Kankunnen.

I never had the pleasure of watching Kankunnen in action. Watched a bit of WRC for a few years before ITV stopped broadcasting it on their main channel and I lost touch with it. Same happened with BTCC and GP2... I need to get back into the swing!
Can we see Heikki Kovalainen working his way back to a top team and adding to his tally of 1 win?
By andrew
Not unless Lotus pull something out the bag. He's not a bad driver but he did get the mucky end of the stick at McLaren.

I read an interview with Mike Gascoyne before the start of the 2010 season. He was asked about the contract discussions with Heikki Kovalainen. Something that set a few alarm bells ringing was when Kovalainen asked for things which he said he didn't have at McLaren leading Gascoyne to reply in surprise that he thought the things that Kovalainen was asking for were standard for all drivers.

He's a bit like JJ Letho and Mika Salo. Both were good fast drivers but ended up stuck in crappy teams, albeit Salo was at toyota - the team that are one of the biggest mysteries ever in F1.
toyota - the team that are one of the biggest mysteries ever in F1.

I did quite like them but they always left me frustrated. 2005 was so promising but, despite huge backing, never reached the heights they should've done. Locking out the front row at Bahrain and then making an arse of the race was one of their last great cock-ups.... :rolleyes:
By scotty
Toyota should have stuck with it for another year at least. I'd have loved to see how their 2010 car got on - it was apparently extraordinarly impoved aerodynamically. I maintain that they'd have fared better in '09 had the engine been better - which in itself was a byproduct of them getting screwed by the engine freeze (some teams observed it more strictly than others).

Mika Salo - excellent driver. Should have won a race, lest we not forget.
keke rosberg if anybody was to win 1982 i'm glad it was him . when you come up the ranks with Gilles you can't be that bad .
plus in the Villeneuve book , the story about johanne being mad at him because he and Gilles tangled well racing and didn't want him coming over for dinner is priceless

See our F1 related articles too!