FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By vegas
So which team developed the first inverted wing to be used on a car?
By darwin dali
The first design that used aerodynamics other than body streamlining did not appear until the 1960s. By then it was recognized how an increase in downforce would provide more grip to the track and hence more speed. This idea was technically developed by Chevrolet- Chaparral in 1966 with their Can-Am racing car. The engineers mounted an inverted wing on two vertical struts above the rear axial. The wing could be pitched during racing to provide the optimal value of downforce.

These ideas were developed quickly, and a few years later several Formula 1 teams mounted inverted wings on the rear axial, combined with a smaller front wing.
By certom
uh, i didn't know which type of wings were the inverted ones!
By bud
wasnt it Lotus to first use wings in F1? One of the biggest Revolutions to hit the sport!
By McLaren Fan
wasnt it Lotus to first use wings in F1? One of the biggest Revolutions to hit the sport!

Given Ferrari have more history than the other teams, I'm suprised such an innocation didn't come from them. :D
By bud

Given Ferrari have more history than the other teams, I'm suprised such an innocation didn't come from them. :D

Lotus did it without passion though remember :lol:

See our F1 related articles too!