FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Smokestoomuch
A strange F1 colour scheme question that frequently troubles me...

A few years ago I was proofreading a book on Ferraris, mainly road cars, but with some bits of F1. The author maintained that Ferrari had always run completely red cars - with the exception of adverts.

Now I'm certain that at sometime around the late 1980s (possibly early 1990s) Ferrari stopped being red for a while. They fielded a car that either had a big white stripe that ran down the side of the rollover bar or the entire rollover bar was white - I guess this may have been associated with Marlboro, but I think McLaren were still sporting the "proper" red and white colour scheme, so maybe not.

I think Ferrari had relinquished the all red scheme to another team that ran with Ferrari engines and was considered a Maranello b-team.

This was before the internet was so vital to any research and I couldn't find any details so in the end I just told the editor of my suspicions and gave up on the matter (the book wasn't published in the end anyway).

Am I completely imagining it, or was there a red and white Ferrari and a Ferrari b-team?
By Irv the Swerve
i found something that could share some light on the white Ferrari :

Ferrari won the 1964 World championship with John Surtees by competing the last two races in cars painted white and blue, as these were not entered by the Italian factory themselves, but the US-based NART team.

Thats the only thing close i have come across.
By Smokestoomuch
Interesting - and shows that the Ferrari book author was well off - but that's what I was thinking off.

It's much more recent - my memory of it is a "normal" modern F1 car - wings and rollover bars etc.
By certom
when jacky ickx drove for Ferrari, the livery had a yellow stripe that remembered the belgian flag...i knew the white-blue ferrari, but nothing about the ferrari b-team......
By Smokestoomuch

These pictures would suggest that I was thinking of 1993.

F93 - imaginative name!

This one is not a Ferrari - it's a Dallara Scuderia Italia Ferrari, however, from 1992 - the next year had Lola chassis and may have had a different colour scheme.
Last edited by Smokestoomuch on 12 Oct 06, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
By darwin dali
The second Ferrari in the pic looks different, more traditional. So what's the deal?
By bud
Ferrari's red is now a bright fluro red/orange in person

no more modena red.
By Smokestoomuch
Sorry, reviewing my comments above what I meant isn't clear.

The top two are a Ferrari - in particular Jean Alesi's car (although the first one is actually a model).

The bottom two are the same Scuderia Italia - Dallara chassis and Ferrari engine.

The Ferrari with the white stripe is from 1993, the Italia is from 1992.

However, either my memory isn't correct or I can't find the right pictures because I'm (fairly) certain that in 1993 there was team that looked more like Ferrari than Ferrari.

The proper Scuderia had the big white area and the all red car was Scuderia Italia - Ferrari engine and, I think Lola chassis - but the only pictures I can find of it in 1993 have a completely different colour scheme - sort of browny-yellow puke colour.

On bud's point - I think "Ferrari" red is now Marlboro red. If you look carefully at the second picture down, the Marlboro logo's top is actually orange.
By R00DIT
Interesting thread, never thought about the scarlet cars in this way.
By sonic
Ferrari did run a white car for a while after a despute with the Italian government. They ran in American white Livery and did not carry Ferrari branding. They also raced in black following 9/11 if I recall correctly.
It was a pity when the Scarlet Ferrari became a Marlboro Orange Ferrari
By Irv the Swerve
Ferrari did run a white car for a while after a despute with the Italian government. They ran in American white Livery and did not carry Ferrari branding. They also raced in black following 9/11 if I recall correctly.
It was a pity when the Scarlet Ferrari became a Marlboro Orange Ferrari
They just had the nose of the car black or was that because the death of the pope??
By 7UpJordan

These pictures would suggest that I was thinking of 1993.

F93 - imaginative name!

This one is not a Ferrari - it's a Dallara Scuderia Italia Ferrari, however, from 1992 - the next year had Lola chassis and may have had a different colour scheme.

That 1993 Ferrari sure looked a lot like a Dallara from previous years though didn't it? :lol:

See our F1 related articles too!