FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
But this list isn't for the "best". I'm inclined to think Senna did more for McLaren in his 6 years with the team than Prost did with his 6 years.

It is the list for Mclarens best drivers.....so Prost is best....

Is this the same Senna that was there for four years before demanding a race by race contract and finally leaving on a bad note for Williams and disposing of the team that gave him 3 titles like a used tissue.

Before you say Prost did the same, Prost left cause he couldnt handle the Senna favouritism in the team, Prost left Mclaren as the world champion.

As a Prost fan I'm surprised you highlighted the 6 years each bit ,but failed to notice who Alain drove for in 1980(7 years),oh and John Watson finished above him in the championship that year :wink:

Edit : Ayrton only got beaten by a team mate once at McLaren '89,when Mansell took him out deliberatly after being black flagged and he had a perfectly good race win taken away in japan,which would of won the title.
Alain got beaten three times by team mates at McLaren though.

enough said :wink::hehe:

if you want to turn this into a Prost vs Senna debate youll lose too easily.

Prost thrashed World champion to be Damon Hill in the same car in 1993,
Prost thrashed World champion to be Nigel Mansell in the same car in 1990
Prost thrashed World champion Keke Rosberg in the same car in 1986
Prost thrashed World champion Aytron Senna by 21 points in the same car in 1989 (oh, and considerably under-favoured too)

The only times Alain lost to a teammate?

First year in F1, in which he didnt participate in 3 races compared to Watsons 100 percent.

A absurd points system in 88, he ammassed plenty more points to beat Senna, but only wins were important.

by less then a point to three time world champion Lauda.

If you need a kicker (although you have been soundly ousted) Prost also thrashed Grand Prix winners Arnoux and Alesi when teammates with him.

I got more to give if you can take it?

Well Damon Hill was in his debut season in formula one,a true rookie.To add to that Frank Williams said the best driver to drive for Williams was Senna,how he made that out in the short time Ayrton was there i have no idea.

But to compare other drivers to Ayrton and Alain is simply silly ,they were by far best of their generation.

Alain himself said of Ayrton If he is is in a quicker car than you, he is quicker,if he is in the same car as you, he is quicker,even if hes in a slower car than you, he's quicker.( I class that as Ayrton's biggest ever praise to be honest)

You only have to see the 1993 season to see perfection as a racing driver.Don't bother to include Donnington in that(icing on the cake).To take the title to the penultimate race in a car that was mostly 2 seconds off the pace of the williams was the best racing I've ever witnessed.

On the other side it's amazing I see the two of them race on 5 occasions live and I never did see Ayrton win ,oh well maybe he was human after all :wink:
Wow! I want to see this thread stay.

We haven't had a Senna vs. Prost battle in some time. :thumbup:

Maybe we should create a separate thread for it, with a voting button:

1. Senna
2. Prost
3. Meh :rolleyes:

:thumbup:

1. Senna
2. Prost

F1 Polls section! Go for it! :thumbup:
But this list isn't for the "best". I'm inclined to think Senna did more for McLaren in his 6 years with the team than Prost did with his 6 years.

Is this the same Senna that was there for four years before demanding a race by race contract and finally leaving on a bad note for Williams and disposing of the team that gave him 3 titles like a used tissue.

Before you say Prost did the same, Prost left cause he couldnt handle the Senna favouritism in the team, Prost left Mclaren as the world champion.

As a Prost fan I'm surprised you highlighted the 6 years each bit ,but failed to notice who Alain drove for in 1980(7 years),oh and John Watson finished above him in the championship that year :wink:

Edit : Ayrton only got beaten by a team mate once at McLaren '89,when Mansell took him out deliberatly after being black flagged and he had a perfectly good race win taken away in japan,which would of won the title.

Prost thrashed World champion Aytron Senna by 21 points in the same car in 1989 (oh, and considerably under-favoured too)
Prost ANNIHALATED three time world champion Lauda in 85 , 5 times more points then Lauda.

First year in F1, in which he didnt participate in 3 races compared to Watsons 100 percent.

A absurd points system in 88, he ammassed plenty more points to beat Senna, but only wins were important.

Sennas fastest lap count 1988: 3
Prosts fastest lap count 1988: 7

Sennas fastest lap count 1989: 3
Prosts fastest lap count 1989: 5

Sennas titles: Least points compared to Prost 88, punting off rivals (Prost) to win dirty wdc's '90, totally unchallenged by any other constructor in 91.....pretty poor if you ask me.

If you need a kicker (although you have been soundly ousted) Prost also thrashed Grand Prix winners Arnoux and Alesi when teammates with him.

I got more to give if you can take it? Like the fact Senna only managed to beat Berger by a point in 92....laaammmmeeeee.

Edit: Oh and i never mentioned/highligted/bolded anything to do with how long each raced at Mclaren?

Interesting, but I think there's more to consider when discussing "the greatest impact on the McLaren cause".

I was reffering to this line and a half you highlighted and still failed to notice how long your driver drove for Mclaren,but i will excuse you as i know you wasn't watching formula one in the era we are talking about . :wink:

Prost ANNIHALATED three time world champion Lauda in 85 , 5 times more points then Lauda.

Sennas titles: Least points compared to Prost 88, punting off rivals (Prost) to win dirty wdc's '90, totally unchallenged by any other constructor in 91.....pretty poor if you ask me.

I got more to give if you can take it? Like the fact Senna only managed to beat Berger by a point in 92....laaammmmeeeee.

Edit: Oh and i never mentioned/highligted/bolded anything to do with how long each raced at Mclaren?

I'm actually amazed i missed some of your points.It really proves how little you know about the history of formula one to be honest.You have a lot of statistics but know little about what actually went on in those great years of F1.

You say there was no other constructor going for the title in 1991.Apart from the start of 4 wins,(which was more to do with Ayrton's genius papering over the cracks) the williams was the best car over the season for sure.It was the start of the williams domination.(you don't have to look to hard into history to see that,or is it just what you want to see)
What have fastest laps got to do with anything ?.Last I knew they didn't award any points for it.?

Also don't forget why Ayrton drove Alain off the track in 90,because the french head of formula one changed the rules for the french driver after Ayrton out qualified him.(justice prevailed)

1. Senna
2. Prost

F1 Polls section! Go for it! :thumbup:

In terms of general opinion Prost hasnt got a snowballs chance in Hell of beating Senna.

I'm actually amazed i missed some of your points.It really proves how little you know about the history of formula one to be honest.You have a lot of statistics but know little about what actually went on in those great years of F1.

You say there was no other constructor going for the title in 1991.Apart from the start of 4 wins,(which was more to do with Ayrton's genius papering over the cracks) the williams was the best car over the season for sure.It was the start of the williams domination.(you don't have to look to hard into history to see that,or is it just what you want to see)
What have fastest laps got to do with anything ?.Last I knew they didn't award any points for it.?

Also don't forget why Ayrton drove Alain off the track in 90,because the french head of formula one changed the rules for the french driver after Ayrton out qualified him.(justice prevailed)

How little i know?, we were having a nice debate, attack the post not the poster please :)

Senna qualified on pole position knowing full well what side of the grid it was on, when it WASNT changed he smashed off the greastest F1 driver in History. What a hero.

Nothing was changed, nothing at all was, he didnt get his own way and he purposely took out his rival.

And fastest laps have got everything to do with it, Prost is already considered calmer, smarter, smoother, more consistent as Senna,

and the only ones Senna beats Prost in is better in the wet (although by a long way) and faster.

THEN its full known that Prost didnt try as hard as Senna did in qualifying in terms of pushing and in terms of setup, and then beats him to numerous fastest laps over races? Why should qualifying results be the trump card of the two? Prost was the faster racer? Or did he beat Senna 12 to 6 through the Mclaren years by always changing tyres late?

And " what has fastest laps got to do with it? no points" well then your single biggest argument for Ayrton is his pole record, and in your own words thats pretty obsolete after that quote. What does matter then? Points? Prost beat Senna twice in the same team. 2/2 times, 100 percent. Why is Senna still the undisputed greatest ever? God knows.

How little i know?, we were having a nice debate, attack the post not the poster please :)

Senna qualified on pole position knowing full well what side of the grid it was on, when it WASNT changed he smashed off the greastest F1 driver in History. What a hero.

Nothing was changed, nothing at all was, he didnt get his own way and he purposely took out his rival.

And fastest laps have got everything to do with it, Prost is already considered calmer, smarter, smoother, more consistent as Senna,

and the only ones Senna beats Prost in is better in the wet (although by a long way) and faster.

THEN its full known that Prost didnt try as hard as Senna did in qualifying in terms of pushing and in terms of setup, and then beats him to numerous fastest laps over races? Why should qualifying results be the trump card of the two? Prost was the faster racer? Or did he beat Senna 12 to 6 through the Mclaren years by always changing tyres late?

And " what has fastest laps got to do with it? no points" well then your single biggest argument for Ayrton is his pole record, and in your own words thats pretty obsolete after that quote. What does matter then? Points? Prost beat Senna twice in the same team. 2/2 times, 100 percent. Why is Senna still the undisputed greatest ever? God knows.

Sorry FRAF but it WAS agreed before quali that pole would be on the racing line.It was only after Ayrton got pole ,that the frenchman changed it to help his fellow countryman.If i get time later i will try to find the interview to prove the fact. :wink:

As for the fastest laps, most didn't matter.Two of the strongest points about Ayrton's driving was his ability to qualify, and to be able to start a race right on he limit.Most drivers including Alain take/took a few laps to get into the race.Thus he was mostly long gone by the time Alain put in those fast laps.

You only have to look at how many more 2nd places Alain had over the two seasons together,Ayrton was normally the fastest driver.But he was winning the races early on on full tanks of fuel,hense he didn't need to go for fastest laps.
I agree that fastest lap isn't a very good indicator in this (or any) debate unless it's obscenely lopsided (12-6 isn't), in which case there would probably be other stats supporting it (like qualifying times).

One problem with fastest lap is that, in addition to tires and fuel as you mentioned, there are many other variables to consider outside of the driver's control: mainly all of the other cars on the track (even the back-markers), and the strategy of the race.

And the reason why "no points for fastest lap" is valid is because it means that no one really cared if they got fastest lap or not. It's incidental. Not like qualifying where EVERYONE really wanted to be on pole, or winning the GP because EVERYONE wanted the most points toward the championship.
My understanding is that he wanted pole changed, did the pole lap, and after the stewards and officials had accepted to change it Ballestre said no, not really as big of a conpspiracy really, it doesnt matter who you are you cant just demand the reshuffle of the grid to suit you, it was refused rather then changed.

Im suprised nobodys mentioned Japan 89, why we're talking about 90 i dont know, different cars so the comparisons arent as clear.

Whether Senna finished ahead of Prost in every race they finished is kind of eradicated by the fact that Ayrton wanted nothing less then a win, and Prost wanted nothing more then solid podium finishes. The points standings and the history of F1 from 1950 show that consistency is key. Prost had the better driving style theory. Sennas was win or bust, not to mention some of the amateurish mistakes like spinning out of first in monza, or running into the back of Martin Brundle, or pushing too hard and spinning off trying to catch Schumacher, todays drivers would be lambasted for such amateurism. Hamilton in particular.

There was a quote going round F1 circles for some time i hear that is : " If you want to win a race, Ayrtons the man, if you want to win a championship, Alains your man" It was something like that you may of heard it, but i know what ones more important.

Sennas driving style got him the fans and the legacy, Prosts got him what actually mattered.
I agree that fastest lap isn't a very good indicator in this (or any) debate unless it's obscenely lopsided (12-6 isn't), in which case there would probably be other stats supporting it (like qualifying times).

One problem with fastest lap is that, in addition to tires and fuel as you mentioned, there are many other variables to consider outside of the driver's control: mainly all of the other cars on the track (even the back-markers), and the strategy of the race.

And the reason why "no points for fastest lap" is valid is because it means that no one really cared if they got fastest lap or not. It's incidental. Not like qualifying where EVERYONE really wanted to be on pole, or winning the GP because EVERYONE wanted the most points toward the championship.

I personally think thats a gross dismissal of a very important fact in determining the better of these two drivers.

12-6 is lopsided against the man considered the fastest driver in the history of the sport, there is no going round that, it is a pasting, Prost didnt match Senna, he doubled the fastest laps, now factor in Prosts doctrine of setting up for races.... Makes sense, Prost wanted to be the fast man in the race, and Senna wanted to run off from a guaranteed pole. They should seem fairly equal in terms of whats best strategy and then, then you factor in Ayrtons style was much more likely to see him crash or ruin his car, and Prosts wasnt and you can see now what way the balance swings in whos got the better way to do things.
My understanding is that he wanted pole changed, did the pole lap, and after the stewards and officials had accepted to change it Ballestre said no, not really as big of a conpspiracy really, it doesnt matter who you are you cant just demand the reshuffle of the grid to suit you, it was refused rather then changed.

Im suprised nobodys mentioned Japan 89, why we're talking about 90 i dont know, different cars so the comparisons arent as clear.

Whether Senna finished ahead of Prost in every race they finished is kind of eradicated by the fact that Ayrton wanted nothing less then a win, and Prost wanted nothing more then solid podium finishes. The points standings and the history of F1 from 1950 show that consistency is key. Prost had the better driving style theory. Sennas was win or bust, not to mention some of the amateurish mistakes like spinning out of first in monza, or running into the back of Martin Brundle, or pushing too hard and spinning off trying to catch Schumacher, todays drivers would be lambasted for such amateurism. Hamilton in particular.

There was a quote going round F1 circles for some time i hear that is : " If you want to win a race, Ayrtons the man, if you want to win a championship, Alains your man" It was something like that you may of heard it, but i know what ones more important.

Sennas driving style got him the fans and the legacy, Prosts got him what actually mattered.

The Senna interview, 1.50 into it http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x49nj5 ... rvie_sport

As for the mistakes Ayrton made ,which year at Monza ado you mean?.'88 when Mansell punted him off?,or the year the engine went and dropped oil causing the spin?
As for driving into Brundle,you really should look at the on board footage.It was impossible to see such were the conditions.That race Prost refused to drive ,only time I've ever seen a driver pull out of a race.
One you could of used on the other hand was Monaco '88,that was an error,ironicly going for fastest lap :wink: .An error he never made again though.

As for saying
"Whether Senna finished ahead of Prost in every race they finished is kind of eradicated by the fact that Ayrton wanted nothing less then a win"
You won't find many grand prix drivers happy to settle for 2nd place very often.I would hazard a guess that 90% of the races when both cars were running Ayrton was in the lead.No matter how you look at it that is impressive.1-2 finishes those two years Ayrton won 11-3 :clap:

The Senna interview, 1.50 into it http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x49nj5 ... rvie_sport

As for the mistakes Ayrton made ,which year at Monza ado you mean?.'88 when Mansell punted him off?,or the year the engine went and dropped oil causing the spin?
As for driving into Brundle,you really should look at the on board footage.It was impossible to see such were the conditions.That race Prost refused to drive ,only time I've ever seen a driver pull out of a race.
One you could of used on the other hand was Monaco '88,that was an error,ironicly going for fastest lap :wink: .An error he never made again though.

As for saying
"Whether Senna finished ahead of Prost in every race they finished is kind of eradicated by the fact that Ayrton wanted nothing less then a win"
You won't find many grand prix drivers happy to settle for 2nd place very often.I would hazard a guess that 90% of the races when both cars were running Ayrton was in the lead.No matter how you look at it that is impressive.1-2 finishes those two years Ayrton won 11-3 :clap:

Your making excuses?

If you cant see go slower, hitting another car is not an excuse, can Senna not see the rain? infact if its that easy to crash dont start the race, cue master tactician Prost who worked it out earlier then Senna did. Same result for both. Beating Senna once can be excused at a push mainly the points system, beating him in points twice in a row, hmmmm questions asked, who is the better driver. I know who my moneys on.

Then you say fastest laps dont matter, you might want to give Ayrton a call, who crashed from an unchallenged lead to set one. Poor.

Heres a B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L bit of trivia for you.........Prost NEVER won a title without a world champion teammate, Lauda, Rosberg, Senna, Hill......

Senna won one with a champion teammate, Prost, although he was outscored in points, and the other two?....................Berger.

If people did some research. I mean the bare minimum amount of research, as oppose to just being told to believe Senna is Infallible, unreachable, unchallengeable. God knows how many would follow Prost.

Its only because of his docile approach and survival that Prost is in the shadows.

See our F1 related articles too!