FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By scotty
Who the hell do they get to take over for Humphrey? Lee McKenzie has subbed for him on the only prior occasion on which he was unavailable, but it seems unlikely that she would be moved permanently from Pitlane reporter to lead presenter. I throw the door open to your speculation on that one.

Note that the olympics run from 25th July to 12th August. Not that long a period really, and it is also likely to overlap with the big summer break in F1. I am of course assuming that he won't do the paralympics as well (?) so he concievably will only miss one race, two tops. Lee could easily cover that i reckon...
By Jensonb
Who the hell do they get to take over for Humphrey? Lee McKenzie has subbed for him on the only prior occasion on which he was unavailable, but it seems unlikely that she would be moved permanently from Pitlane reporter to lead presenter. I throw the door open to your speculation on that one.

Note that the olympics run from 25th July to 12th August. Not that long a period really, and it is also likely to overlap with the big summer break in F1. I am of course assuming that he won't do the paralympics as well (?) so he concievably will only miss one race, two tops. Lee could easily cover that i reckon...

That's true, and they could well do it that way. It's just there has been some speculation that he will be moved up next year in general. It's a possibility, but far from definite.
By Bubbie
Moved up to what? Covering F1 is a dream job.
By scotty

Covering, or just being involved with on any level the Olympics in your home country is surely a once in a lifetime opportunity.
By Bubbie
I agree about the Olympics, but the poster indicated that he would be moved up "next year in general" after conceding that the Olympics would be a 1 race miss.
By Jensonb

BBC Sport is a big organisation, there's plenty of chairs they can give him. The BBC itself is even bigger. If the Golden Sun status Humphrey enjoys extends beyond BBC Sport and into the upper echelons of the organisation...He could reach dizzying heights with The Olympics to his name.
By Bubbie

BBC Sport is a big organisation, there's plenty of chairs they can give him. The BBC itself is even bigger. If the Golden Sun status Humphrey enjoys extends beyond BBC Sport and into the upper echelons of the organisation...He could reach dizzying heights with The Olympics to his name.

That is an interesting point. I wasn't saying there aren't more prestigious positions. But for a young handsome broadcaster. Wouldn't covering F1 be the place to be? Think about what goes on around F1 - parties, hot chicks, lotsa cash, celebrities, exotic locales, getting to watch the races (unlike the other schlubs he has downtime during the exciting bits).
By Jensonb
It seems media scrutiny is finally beginning to fall upon the most conspicuous appointment in the BBC On-Air F1 Crew:
By Jensonb
I still this combination is pretty good!

It undeniably is, but Coulthard needs to watch himself. At times in the past couple of years, as a pundit, he's forgotten himself and let his bias show. And people called him on it. Oh how they called him on it. As a pundit, it's annoying but forgivable. As a commentator, that kind of slip up is like the Cardinal Sin. It, after all, was James Allen's undoing.
By scotty
Pretty disrespectful if they're just going to go around claiming that is pure bias from DC. Could just as easily be just be his geniune opinion, but pitpass like claiming all sorts just to write articles anyway so this is to be expected from them... :beans:
By killem2
As some one who started watching last year I didn't even know DC drove for red bull until about half way through 2010, lol, if he is baised he's not good at it. Considering he spoke over a radio xmission from mclaren but always stops everything to hear what vettel or webber has to say.

Would could say that could be biased but who knows. I don't see how a commentator could really use that bias effectively with out getting fired.
By Bubbie
My favorite was that he was allowed in McLaren mission control for a race while working as a consultant for Red Bull.

See our F1 related articles too!