FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By Flyer23
Not only this time , but over all in general. F1 has become nothing more than a parade. The only passing takes place at the start. At least in NASCAR there is passing for 500 miles and at every position.
By texasmr2
I agree the racing has been door to door combat lately I love it.
By Ron Dennis
It’s hard to open a gap with 62,000 incursions of the pace car and three million laps under full course yellow!

;-)
By texasmr2
Aint that the truth and those d$mn 'debris on the track' caution's just to bunch the field up again strictly for the spectator's enjoyment :evil: .
By Ron Dennis
I enjoy a NASCAR Sunday - I watch the start, fall asleep in my armchair and usually wake up with about 30 laps remaining.

great
By bud
oval racing passing cant compare to road course passing..

that was good though :lol:
By Flyer23

Why not? A pass is a pass. Have you ever driven on an oval? I have and I can assure you it takes as much or more skill to saty off the wall. When you are sitting in a small Formula car an inch off the ground and coming out of a corner at 125 mph and upon exit are less than 2 inches from the wall, let me tell you after 50 laps I was mentally drained......The level of concentration needed to go as fast as you can each lap is tremendous. On a road course i could at least relax during the 3/4 mile straight.....
By texasmr2

Why not? A pass is a pass. Have you ever driven on an oval? I have and I can assure you it takes as much or more skill to saty off the wall. When you are sitting in a small Formula car an inch off the ground and coming out of a corner at 125 mph and upon exit are less than 2 inches from the wall, let me tell you after 50 laps I was mentally drained......The level of concentration needed to go as fast as you can each lap is tremendous. On a road course i could at least relax during the 3/4 mile straight.....

I think roadcourse's are just as mentaly draining if not more than an oval but I have never raced on an oval so this is only my opinion. On an oval you only have two corner's to concentrate on compared to a roadcourse's many turn's which are made up of varying radius's.
Last edited by texasmr2 on 16 Nov 07, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
By 8-ball
Not only this time , but over all in general. F1 has become nothing more than a parade. The only passing takes place at the start. At least in NASCAR there is passing for 500 miles and at every position.

that's what frustrates me the most compared to other motorsport F1 is the one with the least amount of overtaking. its supposed to be the pinnacle but it sometimes it is just boring
By McLaren Fan
Formula One is about more than just overtaking. It's about technology, team work, top class drivers, glitz and glamour, passion, business and politics, and strategy.

Some people think motor racing has to have huge and numerous crashes and constant place-swapping for it to be interesting. If they cannot appreciate the subtleties of the sport then they don't have to watch it.
Last edited by McLaren Fan on 17 Nov 07, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
By Flyer23

I think roadcourse's are just as mentaly draining if not more than an oval but I have never raced on an oval so this is only my opinion. On an oval you only have two corner's to concentrate on compared to a roadcourse's many turn's which are made up of varying radius's.

I am not saying that one is more difficult than the other, but each one has it's own characteristics. Ovals are not simply going around in circles. it is harder than it looks. I would rather road race but my carreer in racing has led me to several small ovals and they were very difficult in my opinion. No room for even a small error and for me my concentration was at 100 % 95% of the lap where on a road course the same level was about 80% because you could take a breath during the lap. The ovals I raced on were 5/8 of a mile so you see there was not much time to breath on the straights...
By texasmr2

I am not saying that one is more difficult than the other, but each one has it's own characteristics. Ovals are not simply going around in circles. it is harder than it looks. I would rather road race but my carreer in racing has led me to several small ovals and they were very difficult in my opinion. No room for even a small error and for me my concentration was at 100 % 95% of the lap where on a road course the same level was about 80% because you could take a breath during the lap. The ovals I raced on were 5/8 of a mile so you see there was not much time to breath on the straights...

Very well put and I do understand the point your trying to make, good post, very insightful and knowledgeable.
By darwin dali
Formula One is about more than just overtaking. It's about technology, team work, top class drivers, glitz and glamour, business and politics, and strategy.

Some people think motor racing has to have huge and numerous crashes and constant place-swapping for it to be interesting. If they cannot appreciate the subtleties of the sport then they don't have to watch it.

Here we go:
I absolutely agree with you and you put it in the most concise way possible - there I said it. I would go even further and say: this is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time that offers a description of what Formula One is.
The only thing I would add to it is 'passion', but that's a description of emotions involved with F1 and that's a whole new aspect of F1 that would lead to as many descriptions/opinions/definitions as there are fans... :D
By McLaren Fan
Formula One is about more than just overtaking. It's about technology, team work, top class drivers, glitz and glamour, business and politics, and strategy.

Here we go:
I absolutely agree with you and you put it in the most concise way possible - there I said it. I would go even further and say: this is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time that offers a description of what Formula One is.
The only thing I would add to it is 'passion', but that's a description of emotions involved with F1 and that's a whole new aspect of F1 that would lead to as many descriptions/opinions/definitions as there are fans... :D

Why thank you DD. I agree with you about passion too. I'll go back and add it.

See our F1 related articles too!