FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Smokestoomuch
Hi all, I've just found this board on Google and I hope the members can a answer a few questions for me.

I participate on another F1 board that now seems to be dying from a lack of interest. A couple of weeks ago a member started a "weekly quiz" - the first week was on drivers and the second was on constructors, unfortunately the quiz master has decided to give up after one and half weeks so he hasn't bothered posting the answers to his constructors quiz.

Most of them are straight forward "When did [insert team name] win the title" sort of thing, but there are two that I don't know and two that I think are just wrong - that is there are no answers for them.

The two I don't know are about the turbo years.

1. Which team was the first team to win with a turbo engine?
2. Which team was the last to take a turbo-charged victory?

The two that I think are erroneous are:

3. Which team won a constructor's championship during the 1960's, and won another in the 1970's under a different name?

4. What was unique about Williams' title win in 1982?

I'd be interested as to anyone's thoughts on this.
Last edited by Smokestoomuch on 05 Oct 06, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
By R00DIT
Hi and welcome!

I'm not sure about the answers because i was too young to remember, but i'm guessing a BMW engine would be in there under the turbo charged answers.

I'm sure the right answers are on their way, the guys n girls on here seem pretty knowledgeable. :)
By Smokestoomuch
Thanks Roddit, I'm waiting with baited breath - these questions - especially the final two - are really bugging the hell out of me.
By darwin dali
Q4: Ferrari won the CWC that year, not Williams. However, KR driving for Williams won the DWC. Unique about that title win was that he had only 1 (one!) GP victory during that season.
By darwin dali
Q1: Renault, pole-sitter Jabouille in the RS10 at Dijon (the 1979 French Grand Prix) won the race, the first driver in a turbo-charged car to do so.
By darwin dali
Q2: AP, McLaren-Honda in Adelaide 1988.
By Smokestoomuch
Q4: Ferrari won the CWC that year, not Williams. However, KR driving for Williams won the DWC. Unique about that title win was that he had only 1 (one!) GP victory during that season.

Hi darwin dali.

My first thought was what was unique about Williams win was that it was done in red cars with Ferrari written on them (but I'm sure that's not the answer). I then thought maybe it's the one win thing - but Mike Hawthorn won the WDC in 1958 with only one win (admittedly there fewer races in a season then) so it can't be that (if there is a proper answer).

I know of one other unual point that someone may think is unique but isn't - but I won't spoil it for anyone that wants to try.

Any guesses for the 1960s/70s CWC?
By Isa_Saifullah
Hello all. I am new to this board too. Actually it was Smokestoomuch who recommended me to this board. We defected from the same forum, cos there wasn't a lot of posters there, and lacked interest.
By Smokestoomuch
Hi Isa :)

Do you have any ideas about these questions?
By Isa_Saifullah
Sorry, I haven't been an F1 fan for a long time, and by that I mean I'm only 17.
And I'm not so much of a historian either, so can't say I know much about F1's past, more of a pure science kinda guy, cos that's what I'm studying in 6th form at the moment (Bio, Chem, Physics, maths and Further Maths).
By Stephen
Welcome guys :)

Q3: Tyrrell Ford came out of Matra International, Matra were constructor champions in 1969 and Tyrrell 1971. Not 100% but that's the only one I could think of, these are challenging questions!
By Selcouth_Feline
Sorry, I haven't been an F1 fan for a long time, and by that I mean I'm only 17.
And I'm not so much of a historian either, so can't say I know much about F1's past, more of a pure science kinda guy, cos that's what I'm studying in 6th form at the moment (Bio, Chem, Physics, maths and Further Maths).

Ouch, what a combo to be studying! (physics and double maths was more than enough for me ;) ) Anyway, welcome (to both of you :) )....I have no idea to the answers either :(
By Smokestoomuch
Ken Tyrell was the manager of Matra, but the Tyrell F1 team was not a renamed Matra.

Tyrell took their first constrcutors title in 1971, Matra came seventh in the constrcutors that year. They competed as chassis manufacturers until 1972. They can't be the same team.

I think the questions are challenging because they're wrong - they can't be answered.

See our F1 related articles too!