FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
The first race I went to was Monaco in 1987, loved it so much I went back in 1988 and 1989! The access then was amazing compared to the security there is now. We were able to wander around the pits and paddock (not during any of the sessions obviously!) take pictures and meet people, that is so much more difficult to do now......unless you have the appropriate laminate obviously!

:yes: very true, security is tight now compared to 20 odd years ago
The first race I watched (probably not all of) was one that Lauda won in 1984 - I've said on the forum before but the only reason I know that is because my mum told me that when he was on the podium I couldn't take my eyes off him, she said I was fascinated by his burn-scars.... I don't really remember it though. First I really remember completely watching was Monaco 1987, and by 1988 I was completely hooked and watched every televised race.

First race I went to was the French GP in 1992. It was a good one to go to aswell! At first reading - a Williams 1-2 would sound like the usual boring fare for 1992, but it wasn't that straight forward! First we had to fight our way to the track because of the lorry drivers, and the weather was abysmal! The race itself was frantic we didn't have a clue what was happening as it was red flagged after about 20 minutes then started again! Was only when the drivers came out for the podium that we really knew who had won as it was all done with aggregate timings - as it turned out it was a successful day for the brits with Mansell winning, Brundle on the podium in third and Herbert sneaking into the points in the Lotus in 6th!

Those that are particularly perceptive might notice that although the car in my avatar is a recent McLaren ('07), it is in fact Mika who is in it. It was at this first live race that I first realised what a talent he was as he dragged that Lotus round to a 4th placed finish. The control he showed in that car when seeing it live was unbelievable, looked right on the edge the entire race.

Was just a shame that Schumacher and Senna crashed on the first lap as I would have loved to have seen both of them racing in those conditions. :( Still, I got to see a lot more of them, plus Alain Prost and Damon Hill when I went back in 1993! :)
The first race I went to was Monaco in 1987, loved it so much I went back in 1988 and 1989! The access then was amazing compared to the security there is now. We were able to wander around the pits and paddock (not during any of the sessions obviously!) take pictures and meet people, that is so much more difficult to do now......unless you have the appropriate laminate obviously!

I guess it's inevitable and of course there is plenty of money to be made by the FIA from selling Paddock Club passes!

I guess it's inevitable and of course there is plenty of money to be made by the FIA from selling Paddock Club passes!

How else would Bernie pay 100 million £ for two apartments in London for his baby girls? Exclusivity has it's price. :thumbup:

How else would Bernie pay 100 million £ for two apartments in London for his baby girls? Exclusivity has it's price. :thumbup:

:yes::hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!