FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.

Found this picture in my basement a few years ago. my dad was telling me it's Gilles Villeneuve, but i think its either Mario Andretti or Carlos Reutemann because it looks like a Lotus 79, and its blue whereas Gilles' Ferrari would be red. im not 100% sure, so i was hoping someone here can shed some light on this picture, maybe if its worth anything, or how rare it is, or who the person actually is, haha. thanks in advance.
yeah, but i noticed that all other lotus 79s in 1979 were painted green, and had a "Martini Racing" livery instead of just "Martini & Rossi", and they also had name tags or whatever right behind their heads on the panel of their cars. also some of the stickers are different then most of the other pictures i've seen of Reutemann and Andretti in their 79s. i really have no idea though on how often (if they did at all) the teams changed their liveries. i just cant find this picture anywhere on the internet, and for some reason its just KILLLLLING me not knowing 100% who this is. i just want to know why this car looks different then all the other pictures ive seen of the 79s that year racing for Martini and Rossi. is it possible that its just a promotional picture with no significance as to who the driver is?
yeah, but i noticed that all other lotus 79s in 1979 were painted green, and had a "Martini Racing" livery instead of just "Martini & Rossi", and they also had name tags or whatever right behind their heads on the panel of their cars. also some of the stickers are different then most of the other pictures i've seen of Reutemann and Andretti in their 79s. i really have no idea though on how often (if they did at all) the teams changed their liveries. i just cant find this picture anywhere on the internet, and for some reason its just KILLLLLING me not knowing 100% who this is. i just want to know why this car looks different then all the other pictures ive seen of the 79s that year racing for Martini and Rossi. is it possible that its just a promotional picture with no significance as to who the driver is?

I wouldn't place too much attention on the color - it could be off on that print.
Actually the silver livery gives it away that it is Mario and Gilles Villeneuve never drove for Lotus :wink: . Also notice the Valvoline sponsorship decal as they have been sponsoring Mario since his 1978 WDC with Lotus.
1979marioandrettilotusze2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Generally if you see Valvoline, think Mario.
Also be aware the pic may not necessarily be from the 79 Canadian GP. If it was a promotional poster or otherwise made before the race, it's impossible for it to have been shot there. Sometmes they use the previous year's licenced photos, or maybe the last race before the poster was made. Or they grabbed any generic F1 picture.
Actually the silver livery gives it away that it is Mario and Gilles Villeneuve never drove for Lotus :wink: . Also notice the Valvoline sponsorship decal as they have been sponsoring Mario since his 1978 WDC with Lotus.

Carlos' car looked the same: http://f1-facts.com/gallery/d/2057
The helmet clears it up, its Mario :-)

Generally if you see Valvoline, think Mario.
Also be aware the pic may not necessarily be from the 79 Canadian GP. If it was a promotional poster or otherwise made before the race, it's impossible for it to have been shot there. Sometmes they use the previous year's licenced photos, or maybe the last race before the poster was made. Or they grabbed any generic F1 picture.

Lotus in '78 looked differently (JPS).

See our F1 related articles too!