FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Flyer23
Williams and their active suspension...... :shock:
By Ron Dennis
Lotus under Colin Chapman were the cutting edge at that time
By texasmr2

Lotus first introduced and raced the 'active suspension' in '83 and Nigel's 1992 WDC came in an 'active' car.
By Flyer23
Sorry, Williams actually got it to work for more than 10 laps. i forgot to ssay that..... :D
By Ron Dennis

Lotus first introduced and raced the 'active suspension' in '83 and Nigel's 1992 WDC came in an 'active' car.

WIlliams employed what they called a re-active suspention rather than an active one and completely different from what Lotus employed whilst Mansell was there.
By 737flier

WIlliams employed what they called a re-active suspention rather than an active one and completely different from what Lotus employed whilst Mansell was there.

Whats in a name....???

It used electronically controlled dampers rather than hydraulic pistons.

less power required but much the same effect.
By texasmr2
Yah I still think the 'mid-engine' concept and the introduction of aerodynamic downforce are the two most important innovation's in F1.
By Flyer23
And just think After it was banned, Ferrari developed a mechanical system that never raced. Just think they have been cheating for years and trying to circumvent the rules.....
By texasmr2
I think calling them cheater's is missing the whole point. There is nothing wrong with pushing the 'interpretation' of a rule, it happen's in every other form of motorsport's but should they all be deemed 'cheater's', I dont think so. If no team's try to 'push the envelope' in term's of innovation where would they be and how can they expect to progress in term's of on-track performance?
By piledriver
Lotus under Colin Chapman were the cutting edge at that time

Agree!

See our F1 related articles too!