FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
They should widen the cars as well back to pre-1998 spec.

What about pre-1993 when they were 220cm wide because they narrowed them to 200cm in '93

Wide cars look better :yes::yes:

They narrowed the rear tyres as well, they should make them big and fat again, it'd improve rear grip and overall stability, especially when following another car.
You can mess around with regulations as much as you want but you can't change the fact that no team wants to see their cars being passed so part of the development will be into how to make the air behind their car as dirty as possible without affecting their own performance and nothing can regulate that.

Yes, but when such clean air is not vital to the trailing car's performance or ability to follow competitively, then the dirty air becomes meaningless.

I've always been against the double diffuser, and I'll be glad to see it gone.
You can mess around with regulations as much as you want but you can't change the fact that no team wants to see their cars being passed so part of the development will be into how to make the air behind their car as dirty as possible without affecting their own performance and nothing can regulate that.

Yes, but when such clean air is not vital to the trailing car's performance or ability to follow competitively, then the dirty air becomes meaningless.

I've always been against the double diffuser, and I'll be glad to see it gone.

So what to do to eliminate the need for clean air for a trailing car to maintain it's perrformance when it's the front wing that's suffering? Getting rid of the double diffuser will only remove/reduce one method for the car in front to dirty the air.
So what to do to eliminate the need for clean air for a trailing car to maintain it's perrformance when it's the front wing that's suffering? Getting rid of the double diffuser will only remove/reduce one method for the car in front to dirty the air.

I understand what you mean, but that is what the FIA/OWG have been trying to figure out.
The thing is, the DD creates such a heavy wake, that whatever measures they are taking seem overshadowed by the dirty air behind the DD.

If the diffusers were simpler (ie what the FIA initially intended) then this dirty air would be less, even if it was dirty-ed by other means... it would be less dirty air because the diffuser is probably the biggest contribuiting factor in the exiting airflow. Combined with the less need for clean air of the measures F1 has been implementing...
seem overshadowed by the dirty air behind the DD.

I take exception with this! What are you saying? My farts are clean as a whistle! :whip:

Pending investigation.
:smash:

Here's a sample :fart: for your lab analysis :thumbup:
seem overshadowed by the dirty air behind the DD.

I take exception with this! What are you saying? My farts are clean as a whistle! :whip:

Pending investigation.
:smash:

Here's a sample :fart: for your lab analysis :thumbup:

:radioactive:

See our F1 related articles too!