FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
Installed Window's 7 on mine last night, the whole operation went as smooth as a smooth thing can go from formating till the minute every thing was back up and running, went to add all my saves from my external hard drive then realised i forgot to unplug the f,ing thing and it got formatted as well, lost everything i had saved :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Installed Window's 7 on mine last night, the whole operation went as smooth as a smooth thing can go from formating till the minute every thing was back up and running, went to add all my saves from my external hard drive then realised i forgot to unplug the f,ing thing and it got formatted as well, lost everything i had saved :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Geez, how could that happen? Micro$oft are simply inept :rolleyes: - this would never happen with OSX, you actually have to specify each drive to be formatted and always get a final confirmation message that you have to ok. :banghead:
This may seem to be a stupid question but since we have so many computer guru's on here I'll ask, just because I have a Dell computer that does not mean I cannot change my operating system does it??
This may seem to be a stupid question but since we have so many computer guru's on here I'll ask, just because I have a Dell computer that does not mean I cannot change my operating system does it??

Nope, not at all, Having just installed Window's 7 I highly recommend it :clap:
My current OS is Windows XP, yah I know old school but it was working just fine, but I would like to know what other OS's others recommend? Another issue I'm worried about is the current issue I'm having with threats and not being able to re-install my McAfee protection, I'm lost and Dell wants $90 to remove these threats :eek::thumbdown: .

My new hard drive is barely one week old so can anyone offer me assistance in removing these threats so I can re-install my anti-virus and save my new hard drive???? I can purchase a new OS with my Santa money :hehe: but I want to be sure I'm taking the right path.

thanks,
tex
My current OS is Windows XP, yah I know old school but it was working just fine, but I would like to know what other OS's others recommend? Another issue I'm worried about is the current issue I'm having with threats and not being able to re-install my McAfee protection, I'm lost and Dell wants $90 to remove these threats :eek::thumbdown: .

My new hard drive is barely one week old so can anyone offer me assistance in removing these threats so I can re-install my anti-virus and save my new hard drive???? I can purchase a new OS with my Santa money :hehe: but I want to be sure I'm taking the right path.

thanks,
tex

What kind of threats have you got Tex? Can't a format sort it out? If you're going to change you're OS it's going to need formatting anyway
I just spoke with a friend and via his instructions have now removed the threats and re-installed McAfee so I am 99.99% happy. That last 1% is this darn tool bar that keeps popping up with "Internet Explorer is currently running with add-ons disabled" and I cannot get the daym thing to go away :irked: !!!
I just spoke with a friend and via his instructions have now removed the threats and re-installed McAfee so I am 99.99% happy. That last 1% is this darn tool bar that keeps popping up with "Internet Explorer is currently running with add-ons disabled" and I cannot get the daym thing to go away :irked: !!!

This is going to sound stupid Tex and no offence intended, but have you tried right clicking on it to see if you can delete it that way?

Failing that try going into add and remove programs aand see if its in there
I have tried that mate yet I'm not getting the delete option?

have you tried add remove programs as well,

1. Click the 'Start' menu,
2. Click the 'Control Panel'
3. Double Click the 'Add/Remove Programs' option.
4. Locate the name of the toolbar in the list and follow the prompts to remove it.

if its not in there im thinking its some kind of "adware"
It is not a program although I have tried that. Really it's no big deal just kinda a hassle. My buddy said it was most likely some form of spy/adware but should go away once I deleted all the virus's. I running another scan now and this one is a full scan and not just a quick scan.

Thanks for coaching me along,
tex
Last edited by texasmr2 on 23 Dec 09, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

Go to tools > manage add ons > enable/disable. Assuming you are running a newer version of Internet Explorer that is.

My advice: download Mozilla Firefox and use that to browse the net. It's a far better program.
Also download Malwarebytes, it's the best free anti spy/mal/adware program. Update and run and it'll get anything bad that's left on your comp.

Go to tools > manage add ons > enable/disable. Assuming you are running a newer version of Internet Explorer that is.

My advice: download Mozilla Firefox and use that to browse the net. It's a far better program.
Also download Malwarebytes, it's the best free anti spy/mal/adware program. Update and run and it'll get anything bad that's left on your comp.

Funny you mention Malwarebytes as that is what I used to remove the virus's. I will give the Mozilla Firefox a trial.

tex

See our F1 related articles too!