FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By EwanM
In my view, Prost was the most savvy driver ever. People big up Schumacher in this department, but Schumacher raced in an ear when radio technology was very advanced and he had Brawn telling him what to do. Prost had to manage his own races with next to no input from the pit wall.

Indeed. Glad we agree on something. :hehe:
By scotty
Brazil 1993 - he beat the Williams' superior cars despite having to make a stop go penalty, using the changing conditions to his advantage
Europe 1993 - just outclassed the entire field by a huge margin
Monaco 1992 - held off Mansell who was on fresh tyres
Spain 1986 - literally just holding off a much faster Mansell, who was again on new tyres
USA 1986 - won after charging through from 8th place due to a puncture
Monaco 1984 - was catching Prost for the lead before the race was stopped
By SAS88
Brazil 1993 - he beat the Williams' superior cars despite having to make a stop go penalty, using the changing conditions to his advantage
Spain 1986 - literally just holding off a much faster Mansell, who was again on new tyres

This could be said of any driver who has experienced bad luck, notable ones include Mansell himself!

Frankly, if we had fans trying to give "moral world championships" we'd have Alexander Yoong as WDC. And against all supposed conspiracy theories and "unfair tactics" - the game goes on. While Senna may have been unlucky in some races, the same could be said for Prost and others, particularly Mansell.

There are so many ifs and buts, if we had to take them all into account we'd still be deciding the WDC's from the 1980's.

Morally, McLaren should have been kicked out after spying into Ferrari like that, but it didn't happen, it wasn't accidental spying, it was intentional and would have continued if it wasn't discovered, all that resulted was Bernie probably getting richer. Meh.
Last edited by SAS88 on 09 Apr 09, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
By SAS88
I don't buy that sort of argument for a second. Prost forfeited his right to the 1989 title when he decided to ram Senna off the circuit. In 1990, Senna was right to take a stand against Balestre and Prost's shoddy behaviour.

Actually no, "two wrong's don't make a right". I personally would have done it as well, but you can't really make moral claims for Senna and then excuse him for doing the same thing to another person because the other person did it first.

That's along the lines of revenge, no matter how trivial or serious it is. I wouldn't entirely call Prost's maneuver "ram", though it looked quite clear that he changed line, it looked more like a reflex action when he saw Senna coming up at the side of him.
By scotty

This could be said of any driver who has experienced bad luck, notable ones include Mansell himself!

Frankly, if we had fans trying to give "moral world championships" we'd have Alexander Yoong as WDC. And against all supposed conspiracy theories and "unfair tactics" - the game goes on. While Senna may have been unlucky in some races, the same could be said for Prost and others, particularly Mansell.

There are so many ifs and buts, if we had to take them all into account we'd still be deciding the WDC's from the 1980's.

Morally, McLaren should have been kicked out after spying into Ferrari like that, but it didn't happen, it wasn't accidental spying, it was intentional and would have continued if it wasn't discovered, all that resulted was Bernie probably getting richer. Meh.

Please explain what any of this has to do with my post. :confused:
I'm a Seanna guy through and through when it comes to the Senna vs Prost thing but Senna didn't win the 1989 WDC and that's that. Same as McLaren didn't win the 1999 or 2007 WCCs. In 2007, even with the points reinstated from Hungary which they were (unfairly in my opinion) deprived of, Ferrari got more points, largely due to Hamilton's low points haul in the last 2 races. To claim otherwise smacks somewhat of bitterness
By SAS88

Please explain what any of this has to do with my post. :confused:

Sorry dude, just the top two lines applied to yours. The rest was for McLaren fan. :D
Most of the races on my top five are already covered, so I'll reveal all on the one not mentioned yet, Brazil 1988.

Piquet - the reigning World Champion - thought the sun was shining out of his arse (as always) and decided to unsettle both Mansell and Senna by verbally insulting them. However come qualifying Senna totally blitzed the field in his new McLaren MP4/4.

Disaster came at the start of the formation lap as Senna stalled and Mansell inherited pole. Senna switched to the spare car (which would later see him get black-flagged) and charged through the field like a hot knife through butter. He managed to work his way back up to 2nd and was rapidly closing in on Prost before the black flag was shown for his car switching.
Actually no, "two wrong's don't make a right". I personally would have done it as well, but you can't really make moral claims for Senna and then excuse him for doing the same thing to another person because the other person did it first.

That's along the lines of revenge, no matter how trivial or serious it is. I wouldn't entirely call Prost's maneuver "ram", though it looked quite clear that he changed line, it looked more like a reflex action when he saw Senna coming up at the side of him.

You can make moral claims for Senna's actions. In 1989, Prost simply feared losing the title, so turned into Senna. In 1990, Senna had no plans to ram Prost off the track, until Balestre got involved.

See our F1 related articles too!