FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
I'm unbiased as you can see from my avatar and sig :hehe: .If Alain would of moved over and let Ayrton through he would of been giving in to his mind games..

I don't think he would have been admitting defeat to any mind games. This stage in both their careers they knew each other closely and knew the racing styles. I say jump out of the way and regain track position later. Surely Senna knew that if Prost had moved, he would just come back for more.

Very good discussion though. I would guess if this happened today, senna would be penalized with out question so maybe it is easier for people to take prosts side in it. Which is ok. i don't really care either way. I liked senna's style but not that he would treat f1 cars like a couple red necks playing chicken on some lawn mowers like it was no big deal.

And then would come out and state f1 needs to be more safe. Why Ayrton? Why I ask? So you can feel better about running people off the track and or showing them a wheel, knowing that the only thing you can hurt is the car and not the driver because it's so safe?

No trying to be harsh on senna here, but it seems to me like he was very cutthroat and would take any advantage he could find with in the rules.
Senna was ruthless in his will to win (alot in common with the Schumacher incidents that are constantly brought up) and since I had watched his entire career I think I know what I'm talking about. It was a very fickle accident with blame going both ways with two different perspectives and attitudes towards racing. I think we can all agree that we wish the battle could have lasted longer but we cannot turn back the hands of time.

Both great racers and it was a priviledge for me to have seen them battle it out. :)
Senna was ruthless in his will to win (alot in common with the Schumacher incidents that are constantly brought up) and since I had watched his entire career I think I know what I'm talking about. It was a very fickle accident with blame going both ways with two different perspectives and attitudes towards racing. I think we can all agree that we wish the battle could have lasted longer but we cannot turn back the hands of time.

Both great racers and it was a priviledge for me to have seen them battle it out. :)

just shame i wasnt!
Funny to come across this... recently perusing the motion picture Senna via a torrent sheds far more light upon this than I was aware of.

I just watched the full version with commentary between scenes. You really start to see just how BS this really was. I thought it was just Prost new he could win if senna didn't. Prost knew that he would close any doors should ayrton try to take the gap. What I thought was interesting looking over this movie was that Ron Dennis appealed the ruling of this excluding of the chicane cutting by showing instances of other drivers who use the same exact run off area with out turning around, no penalty, no nothing,from early years at Suzuka.

It sure puts this all in another light, and not a biased one at that. My wife who has no history of watching racing let alone f1, thought that Prost was using the words "Honestly" and "To be honest" just a bit to much for someone who is trying to be Honest.

There is more to this that is show in the movie so I'll leave that for you all to see :) It is quite interesting.
Funny to come across this... recently perusing the motion picture Senna via a torrent sheds far more light upon this than I was aware of.

I just watched the full version with commentary between scenes. You really start to see just how BS this really was. I thought it was just Prost new he could win if senna didn't. Prost knew that he would close any doors should ayrton try to take the gap. What I thought was interesting looking over this movie was that Ron Dennis appealed the ruling of this excluding of the chicane cutting by showing instances of other drivers who use the same exact run off area with out turning around, no penalty, no nothing,from early years at Suzuka.

It sure puts this all in another light, and not a biased one at that. My wife who has no history of watching racing let alone f1, thought that Prost was using the words "Honestly" and "To be honest" just a bit to much for someone who is trying to be Honest.

There is more to this that is show in the movie so I'll leave that for you all to see :) It is quite interesting.

My onefear was that this movie would kiss sennas arse over Prost, pretty much confirmed it.
IMO Prost cheated at the chicane because he figured either A: he had to win the race to win the championship or B: Senna had to not finish the race for Prost to win the championship so either way for him it was win win. My opinion is mainly backed up by the footage from the heli-cam (which doesnt seem to be on youtube but for n e one with this race on DVD or VHS its on the original coverage) in which yu can clearly see Prost moving over to his right much earlier than any other lap before and also from the heli-cam yu can see the line that prost would have taken would have had him driving over the grass on the inside of the first part of the chicane. So as i said IMO Prost cheated at the chicane and it was only luck in the end that Senna was disqualified giving the Frenchman the title. (also dont flame me for this, i atually quite like both Prost and Senna but this is just the way i saw it from the footage available)
Senna should be down in history as winning 4 titles in a row. F1 was very political back then as it is now days, 89 goes down as yet another title decided not on the track but by the powers that be.
IMO Prost cheated at the chicane because he figured either A: he had to win the race to win the championship or B: Senna had to not finish the race for Prost to win the championship so either way for him it was win win. My opinion is mainly backed up by the footage from the heli-cam (which doesnt seem to be on youtube but for n e one with this race on DVD or VHS its on the original coverage) in which yu can clearly see Prost moving over to his right much earlier than any other lap before and also from the heli-cam yu can see the line that prost would have taken would have had him driving over the grass on the inside of the first part of the chicane. So as i said IMO Prost cheated at the chicane and it was only luck in the end that Senna was disqualified giving the Frenchman the title. (also dont flame me for this, i atually quite like both Prost and Senna but this is just the way i saw it from the footage available)

Not only is Prost turning in early still the topic of much debate,

Not only the is still being debated whether Senna would ever of even made that corner,

by FIA racing law he had every right to turn in and block Senna going there, so what is your actual point, cheating? It was allowed, youd find Senna did it at every opportunity.
End of the day Senna won Suzuka 89 he crossed the finish line first taking the chequered flag first, That cannot be debated. It was only Balestre abusing his power to DSQ Senna in order to gift his fellow Frenchman in what can be debated is how Prost can sleep at night to this day knowing what occurred there.
End of the day Senna won Suzuka 89 he crossed the finish line first taking the chequered flag first, That cannot be debated. It was only Balestre abusing his power to DSQ Senna in order to gift his fellow Frenchman in what can be debated is how Prost can sleep at night to this day knowing what occurred there.

End of the day, 4 titles, living.
Seen this before, Senna simply too ambitious. It was Prost's line, if this happened today, Senna is justified to receive a drive-through.

Jesus H Christ, could you possibly be.......speaking sense?!

Unfortunately the fanboys of AS are totally oblivious to the fact that even in his native Brazil they call the Senna loving, everyone else hating "fans" "widows"

Thats the real punchline right there. Even they are aware of it.
Seen this before, Senna simply too ambitious. It was Prost's line, if this happened today, Senna is justified to receive a drive-through.

Jesus H Christ, could you possibly be.......speaking sense?!

Unfortunately the fanboys of AS are totally oblivious to the fact that even in his native Brazil they call the Senna loving, everyone else hating "fans" "widows"

Thats the real punchline right there. Even they are aware of it.

Senna made a ridiculously long lunge whilst Prost, minding his own business took the normal line and was t-boned. Senna seemed to make no real attempt to take the corner. I saw a mini-documentary on Senna done by Martin Brundle a while back where Brundle said that Senna got past so many people because it was a case of either let him past or he will shove them off the track. What a great racer eh? :rolleyes: I don't see why people say that Balestre gifted Prost the championship. Senna made a stupid move, took out another driver and was punished. This whole thing showed how little McLaren cared about Prost.

Then there was the whole punching Eddie Irvine for no good reason. Ok Irvine seems a gobby tit but even then he didn't deserve to be thumped on that occasion. From what I've seen Senna was extremely far up his own diffuser and not a particularly nice chap.
The collision itself is not that big a deal, though Prost did turn in early that is the simple fact of the matter, but he is entitled to. The racing aspect aside which was fair on both counts, what pisses most people off is the politics that decided not only the race outcome but the season as a whole. Please Andrew if you cannot see how Balestre gifted Prost the title then you're just plain ignorant to the simple facts of that day.

I take it you were watching that day? even though i was a youngen I recall the banter in school between the Prost and Senna fans. Fraf may be new to the sport having Hamilton as the enticement but entering a debate about something long gone is deadly, I myself don't tend to look at rivalries before my time as I do not know the entire story.

See our F1 related articles too!