FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
I think it's fair to say they are two of the very best drivers that ever lived,they were the best of a superb era of formula one.
If the car was set up perfect there was no beating Alain,anything else and Ayrton would ring the neck out of it.Here we are nearly 17 years after the death of the master and people still keep asking questions about it all,says it all really, legends.For me simply the best era of formula one I ever witnessed and I very much doubt it will ever be beaten.

both legends
I think it's fair to say they are two of the very best drivers that ever lived,they were the best of a superb era of formula one.
If the car was set up perfect there was no beating Alain,anything else and Ayrton would ring the neck out of it.Here we are nearly 17 years after the death of the master and people still keep asking questions about it all,says it all really, legends.For me simply the best era of formula one I ever witnessed and I very much doubt it will ever be beaten.

both legends

:thumbup::clap:

both legends

:thumbup::clap:

:D:clap:

And i agree, but i must add.......Senna was using Prosts setups in both 88 and 89........ sorry i just had to point that out, infact, in mid 89 Prost said his side of the garage had about 5 mechanics and Senna had 20, he still won.

And i agree, but i must add.......Senna was using Prosts setups in both 88 and 89........ sorry i just had to point that out, infact, in mid 89 Prost said his side of the garage had about 5 mechanics and Senna had 20, he still won.

It's true in the early days Ayrton didn't set the car up much ,but in the end he did.You have to remember Ayrton was fairly new to f1 back then,Alain was already a double world champion.It was a rookie learning off a master.Still he gave as good as he got.Some things like the quali lap at Monaco were simply ..well unreal.No one but no one can out qualify Prost by TWO seconds in the same car.

It's true in the early days Ayrton didn't set the car up much ,but in the end he did.You have to remember Ayrton was fairly new to f1 back then,Alain was already a double world champion.It was a rookie learning off a master.Still he gave as good as he got.Some things like the quali lap at Monaco were simply ..well unreal.No one but no one can out qualify Prost by TWO seconds in the same car.

More then impressive, but your viewing in black and white.

Prost set his car up to dominate races, not qualifying sessions, senna crashed in 89 after hearing Prost had set the fastest lap in the same race where Senna got pole by 1.4 trying, and succeeding mind, in besting it. That is Prost and Senna all over, Senna much more quick as a driver, but unable to think clearly if its not go for the win, Prost knew his strengts his weaknesses, and his fellow racerssrength and weaknesses, notably Senna himself, and used it to his advantage.
'Black and white' thinking is based more on reality and results rather than mere speculation or opinion :wink: .

Indeed, but this:

" Senna beat Prost to pole y 1.4 seconds"

Is surely reality, and/ or a result, rather then an opinion on whether he did it or not?

This:

"Prost set his car up for races not quali"

Is letting him view in HD.
Can anyone explain to me why in 1989, Prost didn't give way? Yes yes, he didn't have to, but if you know this is how crazy senna is, why risk it? This is what boggles me about the history here. Prost KNEW senna was dangerous, wreckless, and if he could show you a wheel he would leave up to you to decide your out come.

I haven't really read much into prost, or really senna for that matter other than what I've seen on top gear and maybe some vintage footage, but Prost seems like a very decisive driver, and very calm and thought out. It didn't make since to me why he would risk that, he was still ahead of Ayrton in 1989, I thought, so duke it out don't let him wreck you.

Then in 1990, and please don't mistake what I am about to say as defending Senna here, but Senna :director: IN THE PUBLIC EYE :director: said what he was going to do. To me, it just seems like Prost was tired of the BS and Drama and threw in the towel, when he could have played it safe, go for the corner if it looked like senna was going to play a little dirty back off, and fight the rest of the match like he was so amazing at doing.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Doing it that way at least would show you played your best!
Can anyone explain to me why in 1989, Prost didn't give way? Yes yes, he didn't have to, but if you know this is how crazy senna is, why risk it? This is what boggles me about the history here. Prost KNEW senna was dangerous, wreckless, and if he could show you a wheel he would leave up to you to decide your out come.

I haven't really read much into prost, or really senna for that matter other than what I've seen on top gear and maybe some vintage footage, but Prost seems like a very decisive driver, and very calm and thought out. It didn't make since to me why he would risk that, he was still ahead of Ayrton in 1989, I thought, so duke it out don't let him wreck you.

Then in 1990, and please don't mistake what I am about to say as defending Senna here, but Senna :director: IN THE PUBLIC EYE :director: said what he was going to do. To me, it just seems like Prost was tired of the BS and Drama and threw in the towel, when he could have played it safe, go for the corner if it looked like senna was going to play a little dirty back off, and fight the rest of the match like he was so amazing at doing.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Doing it that way at least would show you played your best!

Im gonna be unbiased cause i really do love Senna and Prost, both of them, when i dont come across as a Senna fan its cause i like Prost more and moreso cause somebody is hatin on me cause i dont conform to the popular opinion, its become so cult-like these days you are driven out of forums and such with pitchforks and lighted clubs if you as much as joke Senna isnt untouchable, he was. So here we go

Prost was one of the few drivers that didnt let Sennas mind games win half the battle, Senna isnt given enough credit for how his attitude won him so much, drivers leaping out of the way for you to do a quali lap, no other driver was given that treatment, how many poles would Senna have got if drivers told him to do one, less then what he achieved for sure only by like one at a push two DIRECTLY but knowing youve got a clear track no matter when you go out, priceless. Most drivers when fighting Senna knew hed try something risky, like drivers that take on schumacher know, so most of the time the battle was won before the cars reached each other, Senna knew this, he pounded out comments like a genius to let people know it. Prost had none of it his whole career, if Senna wanted to try the move, Prost was gonna stick to the textbook, defend his line. Also, whether Prost was aware of it or not, likely was, he knew if they both DNF'd, hed win the WDC, if anything Senna gave Prost the chance to win it rather then took it away from him.

Naturally gotta disagree with you on 1990. Balestre favoured Prost clearly, disgracefully, and unsportsmanshiply, but if Senna was the God made out to be by everyone, and the devout Christian with extrememoral values, hed of fought back until the last lap he could then taken Prost out if he hadnt passed him already, to show Balestre his bias caused this. Prost of course didnt deserve any of it, but vengeance has no compassion. If anyone, and anyone did, throw in the towel it was Senna, who knew the moment he was beaten to turn 1, Prost was going to win. a championship robbed.

In the end i think the legend of Senna speaks for itself it his greatness, but the titles no matter if Senna had got more, say a lot to me about what F1 wants to tell us about these two drivers, Prost was in contention for i think 8 titles, of which one he missed out by .5 of a point! Against numerous champions such as Senna, Mansell, Lauda, Piquet, Both of them could do things the other couldnt, nor has any other driver bbefore or since. Both deserve maximum respect, i can only hope once Prost does join Senna in the racing god heaven, that his memory isnt tarnished by his rivalry with Senna and survival wheras Senna did not.
I guess my over all view is, those two actually did only one thing in this pissing match.

Rob the fans of a nice race. :thumbdown:

LOL, best take ive seen on it yet lololol, true, thats if you believe Prost turned into Senna, many, including myself believe he went for the corner, Senna just lnuged into the way.

1990 was definitely on purpose, Senna said it himself.
I am unbiased here, I really don't give a rats bottom, I was out skinning my knews on a bike when these two were raging at each other, but all I'm saying is, if prost wanted to, he could have stepped back and raced. This isn't saying he is wrong for not stepping back, but who really were the losers here? Would you have rather seen a race in the history books or keep it with those crashes?

I dunno, to me, if I were prost, I'd get satisfaction out of calling ayrton out on his immaturity. Be the bigger man, and back off, win the race with integrity. But he chose to fight fire with fire, and that is ok, like I said maybe prost was tired of all of it, and I can't blame him.

I remember playing basketball alot growing up, and sometimes certain people I played with out pull out this "lets play street ball" which mean, I can jack you with an elbow and play dirty. You know what I did? I shot three points or didn't bother playing.

No one likes to see dirty playing. At least I don't.
I'm unbiased as you can see from my avatar and sig :hehe: .If Alain would of moved over and let Ayrton through he would of been giving in to his mind games.As FRAFPDD has already said he didn't do that.If he had of given way ,Ayrton would of been diving down the inside every time he got up behind him.It's all part of being a racing driver,if he gave way with instances like that he wouldn't of got passed karting let alone the heights he did.
I don't think people that didn't live through the rivalry understand just how big it really was.There hasn't been a rivalry like it before or so far after either.
As for 1990 blame the idiot that was in charge Ballaprostlover or something like that :wink: .Again it wasn't Alain's fault it was just Ayrton was public enemy number one.So much so that he very nearly left formula one and went across the pond to indy,he even got as far as having a test run over there.
Whatever happened, the man who gained the most from this at the day was Nannini.

See our F1 related articles too!