FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
you really cant go past the 88 Mclaren, total dominance.

Other notable mentions have to go to
1984 Mclaren
the willams's from 92,93 and 96.
1978 Lotus
2002, 2004 Ferrari

i left the Lotus 49 off of the list as it was too unreliable.
you really cant go past the 88 Mclaren, total dominance.

Other notable mentions have to go to
1984 Mclaren
the willams's from 92,93 and 96.
1978 Lotus
2002, 2004 Ferrari

i left the Lotus 49 off of the list as it was too unreliable.

I think the mclarens of 98-2000 were pretty dominating because I guess they were only really challenged by Ferrari. Or should I say would of been pretty solid if they didn't have so many dnfs. But of course the mp4/4 puts it into perspective what domination means.
topic what topic

Love the new siggy :rofl::thumbup:

You mean my avatar?
I found that pic in google image search after I saw someone put it up in a forum for some reason, and I used MS gif animator and MS Picture It to make the gif out of it.

no wait you meant the text in the siggy.
Yeah it's like, You think I'm getting all preachy on you for the first line and a half, then BAM! Comic relief!
Statistics prove it is the 1988 McLaren and the 2002 Ferrari as both had 15 wins in their prospective seasons.

The Mclaren had 15 Poles, Compared to the Ferraris 11

Futhermore the Mp4/4 only lost 1 race win the F2002 Lost 4 so its win strike rate was 79% compared to the Mclarens 94%

The F2002 only lost ONE race and that was in Monaco where Coulthard won in the McLaren. Earlier that season (I believe it was the first two rounds) Schumacher and Barrichello were still using the 2001 version.
Statistics prove it is the 1988 McLaren and the 2002 Ferrari as both had 15 wins in their prospective seasons.

The Mclaren had 15 Poles, Compared to the Ferraris 11

Futhermore the Mp4/4 only lost 1 race win the F2002 Lost 4 so its win strike rate was 79% compared to the Mclarens 94%

The F2002 only lost ONE race and that was in Monaco where Coulthard won in the McLaren. Earlier that season (I believe it was the first two rounds) Schumacher and Barrichello were still using the 2001 version.

oops! My mistake.. I forgot that the F2002 was also used at the beginning of the 2003 season as well. It did lose 4 races :p
Ferrari 02 and 04? Seriously? It was fantastic car which Schumi made even better, but Rubens was bad, but McLaren 88 was ultimate. won 15 out of 16 GP. 10 one-two finishes... okk myb because drivers were very good, but anyway...
I think what is being missed/overlooked here is the original topic 'Most Dominating F1 Car of all time' and not the 'Most dominating car of one season' :wink: . Having witnessed all the Mclaren races since about '79 it was the most dominating in a single season, 1988, yet not the most dominating car/manufacturer of all time which alludes to the topic, check the stat's and this is in no means a poke at McLaren or their fans :) , hell I'm a Mclaren fan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fo ... ne_records

Take from it what you will and I'm not poking in any form or fashion just looking at the facts.
Most dominant car ever over a season? That is tough....

Numbers say the '88 McLaren, but they also had the 2 best drivers in the world.

More impressive to me was the '92 active Williams. It made everyone look silly, and Nigel Mansell did the damage largely by himself.

Longest lived competitive design has to be the John Barnard McLaren MP4/2 of '84-86....

Facts were:

Three consecutive drivers championships.

Two constructors titles

25 race wins.

Not bad for a single design.......

See our F1 related articles too!