FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
In 1988, the McLaren MP4/4 took pole in 15 of 16 races, won 15 of 16 races and came 1-2 10 times. One or the other McLaren led all but 28 of the season's 1031 laps, an astonishing 97%. The McLarens were P1 & P2 at Italy that year but both DNFed, making Monza the only race of the season that didn't have a McLaren on the podium. Excepting that one race, the McLarens essentially led every other race pole-to-pole.

Of the 400 WCC points awarded that year, McLaren scored 199 (49.75%). Ferrari were second with 65.

That is dominance.
In 1988, the McLaren MP4/4 took pole in 15 of 16 races, won 15 of 16 races and came 1-2 10 times. One or the other McLaren led all but 28 of the season's 1031 laps, an astonishing 97%. The McLarens were P1 & P2 at Italy that year but both DNFed, making Monza the only race of the season that didn't have a McLaren on the podium. Excepting that one race, the McLarens essentially led every other race pole-to-pole.

Of the 400 WCC points awarded that year, McLaren scored 199 (49.75%). Ferrari were second with 65.

That is dominance.

says it all really doesnt it?! :D
I think for advancement in technology, the williams fw 15. For pure domination though definitely the mclaren mp4/4. For reliability and outright performance I would say the f2002 and f2004. Obviously the brawn car was sensationally quick in the first half of 2009 and then dropped back at the end. The mclaren mp4-23 is the most aerodynamically efficient F1 car ever made before the regulations changed, it would of got more wins had someone other than heikki be driving it.
I think for advancement in technology, the williams fw 15. For pure domination though definitely the mclaren mp4/4. For reliability and outright performance I would say the f2002 and f2004. Obviously the brawn car was sensationally quick in the first half of 2009 and then dropped back at the end. The mclaren mp4-23 is the most aerodynamically efficient F1 car ever made before the regulations changed, it would of got more wins had someone other than heikki be driving it.

crickey thats incredible....if mclaren had a better driver than hekki (sorry hekki), then they might have won both titles in 2008... :eek:
The mclaren mp4-23 is the most aerodynamically efficient F1 car ever made before the regulations changed

But categorically not the Ferrari, which was an all around better car? I'm not sure where you heard that...
The mclaren mp4-23 is the most aerodynamically efficient F1 car ever made before the regulations changed

But categorically not the Ferrari, which was an all around better car? I'm not sure where you heard that...

Oh yes I see. Both the ferarri f2008 and mclaren mp4 23 cars were "arguably" the most aerodynamically efficient cars in F1 history.
How do you measure "aerodynamic efficiency" on an F1 car? I can see in a road car all they're concerned with is the Cd so then the lowest one is the most aerodynamically efficient, but an F1 car needs alot of wing which produces drag, so they never have as low a Cd as they could. In F1 does "aerodynamically efficient" mean the lowest Cd while still producing the required downforce? The trouble with that is they change the wings and their angles every half hour, and the cars with less power cannot run as much downforce as the big boys, and so would have a lower Cd.
This isn't stirring up poop it's a real technical question. What dou you mean exactly by "aerodynamically efficient" in an F1 car?
Statistics prove it is the 1988 McLaren and the 2002 Ferrari as both had 15 wins in their prospective seasons.

I'm not convinced the number of wins in a season can be fully attributed to the car though. And statistics are a dangerous thing. They can be used to prove false things. But I do see that point about the 15/16 wins, it's undeniable. However on gut and from watching the races and using qualities that I cannot express, I'm going with either the 92 or 93 Williams. The 2002 Ferrari was of course also super dominant. It's a close one for me.
Statistics prove it is the 1988 McLaren and the 2002 Ferrari as both had 15 wins in their prospective seasons.

The Mclaren had 15 Poles, Compared to the Ferraris 11

Futhermore the Mp4/4 only lost 1 race win the F2002 Lost 4 so its win strike rate was 79% compared to the Mclarens 94%
RB6,

Both drivers are really good but just imagine if it had 2 great driver

It is the bench mark for modern F1 cars
The most aerodynamically efficient F1 car ever raced -- IMHO -- was the Brabham BT46B. The "sucker car" had relatively low drag, simple wings but produced HUGE downforce because of ground effects and a fan powered via the car's engine that sucked air from underneath the chassis.

Brabham convinced the FIA that the fan's primary purpose was engine cooling and it was allowed to enter in one race, which it won easily. It thereafter was banned.

The actual level of downforce is unknown but the system loosely was modeled after the Chaparral 2J, which produced some 900 lbs of downforce while standing still.

Those of you who complain about the success of teams like RBR that follow the letter of the regulations but not necessarily the spirit would do well to note that Brabham's owner through these years was one Bernie Ecclestone. So, trust me, your complaints are falling on deaf ears.

I'm not convinced the number of wins in a season can be fully attributed to the car though. And statistics are a dangerous thing. They can be used to prove false things. But I do see that point about the 15/16 wins, it's undeniable. However on gut and from watching the races and using qualities that I cannot express, I'm going with either the 92 or 93 Williams. The 2002 Ferrari was of course also super dominant. It's a close one for me.

I see and agree with your point considering who was driving those cars yet strictly imho the question posed was about the car and statistic do prove that I'm correct.
The most aerodynamically efficient F1 car ever raced -- IMHO -- was the Brabham BT46B. The "sucker car" had relatively low drag, simple wings but produced HUGE downforce because of ground effects and a fan powered via the car's engine that sucked air from underneath the chassis.

Brabham convinced the FIA that the fan's primary purpose was engine cooling and it was allowed to enter in one race, which it won easily. It thereafter was banned.

The actual level of downforce is unknown but the system loosely was modeled after the Chaparral 2J, which produced some 900 lbs of downforce while standing still.

Those of you who complain about the success of teams like RBR that follow the letter of the regulations but not necessarily the spirit would do well to note that Brabham's owner through these years was one Bernie Ecclestone. So, trust me, your complaints are falling on deaf ears.

Luv that car and wished I had gotten to see it race.

See our F1 related articles too!